Best weed control for gravel driveway

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Best weed control for gravel driveway

Post by flyin-lowe » May 2nd, 2022, 11:03 am

Just curious what the best long term weed control application would be for my driveway. It is around 600 foot long and I find myself spraying roundup (I like the quick pro) as it knocks the weeds down quickly but 2 weeks later a new batch is up. I am curious what products you guys use that might have more lasting effects..... Years ago I tried some of the name brand stuff from Lowes that advertised 1 year effects but never found that to be the case.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Best weed control for gravel driveway

Post by MorpheusPA » May 2nd, 2022, 11:09 am

Prodiamine works pretty well and I spray my patio with it. It keeps weeds out of the sand between the bricks pretty well--it's not perfect, but pretty well.

Any pre-emergent would certainly help during its advertised period.

RoundUp long term, I forget the actual name, reportedly does fairly well for about 90 days, but you'd have to blanket-spray. I hate doing that with a weed killer.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Best weed control for gravel driveway

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 30th, 2022, 7:41 pm

It's too late for an existing installation, but I'm about to put in some pavers from the house to an area of the back yard. We've done this before, twice. The first time I used sand, leveled, put down pavers, and filled around with chipped stones (images below). The second time we used these (seemingly expensive) plastic paver base from HD or Lowe's.

When we moved in a year ago HD send us a coupon for a hefty percent off of purchases up to $1,000, so we bought a stack of those things at $13 each. Now that seems expensive, but the first installation using only sand took us several weeks to get right. The second installation (same area) took 10 hours with the plastic base.

That's a pic of our first one. The second one looks the same, so no sense overloading this post with pixels. So anyway, the paver base has holes in it to pass water down and something like nutgrass could grow up through. We didn't have that experience, yet. This new place is our nutgrass garden, so we'll see. I know weeds grow up in the dust/dirt that collects on top of the plastic, but the roots never take hold and are easy to pull out.