Olivia Died

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Olivia Died

Post by MorpheusPA » August 29th, 2022, 4:55 pm

Olivia being the robotic mower. She had a good life. It wasn't her fault.

There are two stories here, what the garbagemen claim happened and what likely happened. What they claim happened is that the machine had stopped near the garbage and they "accidentally" mistook her for garbage and threw her away. Yet the owner of the waste management company has agreed that this was their fault and they're paying for a new one (as Olivia was not in the street where garbage is located). This was in response to the popo calling them after I reported Olivia missing.

What really happened--Olivia notified me that she had left the wire boundary at 8:41, just as the trash was being picked up. I went out a few minutes later to locate her, as that's extremely unusual. Nothing. She wasn't there, but was in process of returning to her home charging station at the time.

I called the police, who dropped by two hours later (I'd already called the waste management company and registered an issue and gotten a number for it). The policeman was very nice, we went over the issue, he admired the property, etc. He said he'd follow up with them. Apparently he did because they ended up calling me back. My bet? They saw her motoring along the front line, lifted her (hence the notification), and rapidly found out that she won't respond as soon as she's outside the WiFi signal and locks herself with a password. She landed in the truck, got crushed, and the rest is history.

Regardless, they're paying for Olivia 2, with the wheel kit and Keep Away package, as that was on the old one. They're not going to be thrilled with the bottom line on this one--about $1500.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Olivia Died

Post by DevilDawg81 » August 31st, 2022, 8:29 pm

Sorry you lost Olivia Morph, but that’s a great outcome for you 😀

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » August 31st, 2022, 11:52 pm

Do you know how shocking this subject is to somebody whose only child is named Olivia?

I get a jolt every time I see this thread.

Chris Jacobie
Grass Type: Fescue With Invading Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Chris Jacobie » September 1st, 2022, 10:22 am

RIP, Olivia.

Which robotic mower model was she? I’ve thought having a robotic mower that did a weekly mow mid-week would be nice and then I can head out on the weekend and mow again if necessary plus all the trimming, edging, blowing, etc.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by edslawn » September 4th, 2022, 12:19 pm

Morph, I'm the next one will be even better and you can rest assured that you gave Olivia a very good (albeit short) life :)

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 9th, 2022, 7:41 pm

Sorry, I've been dealing with Health Canada and an audit. I'm still not clear yet.

She was a Worx WR155. I actually think the new Olivia is better than the old one. She doesn't bog, get stuck, or have the issues the model a year ago did.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » October 9th, 2022, 7:57 pm

Sorry for your loss of Myrtle. That’s a pretty expensive ”mistake” on the waste management company’s part.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 10th, 2022, 12:54 pm

(Poking head out of smoking lava pit of audit demands for two seconds during lunch) Yes, yes it was rather expensive for them. :-)

The insurance adjuster simply said, "That's a first" as she authorized the check. There are also now security cameras on the front door, garage door (solidly covering the entire front), rear door, and north and south faces.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by edslawn » October 10th, 2022, 10:47 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
October 10th, 2022, 12:54 pm
(Poking head out of smoking lava pit of audit demands for two seconds during lunch) Yes, yes it was rather expensive for them. :-)

The insurance adjuster simply said, "That's a first" as she authorized the check. There are also now security cameras on the front door, garage door (solidly covering the entire front), rear door, and north and south faces.
Cameras been invaluable for me for this sort of thing, especially with deliveries. Glad to hear that Olivia II has set sail!

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » January 22nd, 2023, 3:32 pm

I'm just now catching up. I don't want to bring up old memories, but do you have any pictures of her? Maybe some childhood pictures from the proud papa when you bought her?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » February 10th, 2023, 11:21 am

I'm also catching up from the disaster area that is my work life. I'm between audits right now. I do, but I can't find the durned things offhand and the system is down for winter.