Replanting a tulip tree....

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Replanting a tulip tree....

Post by flyin-lowe » September 7th, 2022, 9:36 am

The "tree" section of this forum doesn't get much action so I am posting this here. I have a small tulip tree that popped up this summer against my house. I have read that it is best to transplant either in the spring or fall when there are no leaves. I am in Indiana where we can have pretty harsh winters. I am wanting to move it to a new spot in my yard, should I wait until leaves drop this fall and move it, should I wait until the leaves fall and then put it in a pot and into my pole barn for the winter (not heated) and then plant in the spring, or just leave it as is to over winter and move it in the spring. Just curious what my best chance of success would be. It is only about 12-14 inches tell with about 6 full size leaves on it. The diameter of the tree is a little smaller than a pencil.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Replanting a tulip tree....

Post by turf_toes » September 7th, 2022, 9:55 am

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by flyin-lowe » September 8th, 2022, 11:16 am

Thanks
I had seen that. I was just curious since mine is less then a year old and not 2-3 feet like they mention in the example if moving it now would be any harder on it than moving it next spring. Or if keeping it in a pot over the winter in the garage would be a smart choice or not. I am assuming it being less then a year old would make it less stable than one that is several feet tall.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » September 9th, 2022, 8:55 am

The article indicates spring or fall. If you’re worried about potting it over the winter, then do it in the Spring.

But young plants generally have less extensive root systems. So in that sense they’re easier to transplant.