No-see-ums

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

No-see-ums

Post by edslawn » March 6th, 2023, 6:42 pm

I live in Pennsylvania but my brother recently moved to southwest Florida. We were visiting and the no-see-umes (or noseeums) were pretty bad. I have used Bifen IT for mosquito control in Central PA and it works great. I noticed that Bifen is also rated for noseeums. Anyone have any thoughts on using this or something better in Florida for this problem?

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: No-see-ums

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » August 5th, 2023, 4:00 am

I have never tried a good test of this, but I had occasion to be on a crew in a Louisiana swamp for a few days (many years ago). As we drove out the first day I mentioned that I had Avon Skin So Soft to keep bugs away. One guy grabbed it right out of my hand and said, "Will this work for noseeums?" Before I could answer he was wiping it all over his jeans, socks, and especially up around his crotch. It was a big bottle and even after sharing it with four guys, it was still 3/4 full. So I don't know if the unprotected guys had any issues, but we didn't have a problem. I was in and out of the spot about 3 times over the week and only used the SSS oil the first time, but I did not wash my jeans, so very inconclusive, but something to consider. Years later I did get to experience noseeums when my car broke down, and I had to stand in weeds waiting for my wife to arrive. It was then I understood why they were so enthusiastic about preventing them.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: No-see-ums

Post by edslawn » August 6th, 2023, 9:05 pm

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 4:00 am
I have never tried a good test of this, but I had occasion to be on a crew in a Louisiana swamp for a few days (many years ago). As we drove out the first day I mentioned that I had Avon Skin So Soft to keep bugs away. One guy grabbed it right out of my hand and said, "Will this work for noseeums?" Before I could answer he was wiping it all over his jeans, socks, and especially up around his crotch. It was a big bottle and even after sharing it with four guys, it was still 3/4 full. So I don't know if the unprotected guys had any issues, but we didn't have a problem. I was in and out of the spot about 3 times over the week and only used the SSS oil the first time, but I did not wash my jeans, so very inconclusive, but something to consider. Years later I did get to experience noseeums when my car broke down, and I had to stand in weeds waiting for my wife to arrive. It was then I understood why they were so enthusiastic about preventing them.
Thanks for sharing... He still hasn't tried it but I figure he will get desperate enough soon to give it a try :)