Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (QUATS)

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (QUATS)

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » September 18th, 2023, 3:11 am

I've been looking at ways to clean grout in a shower and the idea of quaternary ammonium compounds (QUATS) has come up. Quats seem to be the ingredients in bactericidal and disinfecting soaps, so I'm thinking morph is going to have some information about quats. Certainly anyone with knowledge about them is encouraged to chime in.

My questions are,
1) what do you think? Would a quat work to kill mold/mildew on tile and grout?
2) Is there a concentrate that makes the use of a quat somewhat economical?
3) If I don't want a lifetime supply sitting in my garage, does it come in smaller packages? Or would Pine Sol be fine for the tiles?

We've remodeled many bathrooms and I always insisted on white or off white grout. My wife has always begged me to use a black grout, because...she doesn't like the look of mold/mildew on the grout. My counter argument was that the mold/mildew would grow on the black grout, anyway, and the black on black lack of contrast would prevent us from knowing it's gross down there. She still sees that as an advantage!! So here we are a year into black grout and I have discovered something. Black mold is really dark brown, and it is visible on black grout if you take a second look. A Magic Eraser works okay on the tile and grout, but I'm wondering if a quat would have a longer lasting effect with no scrubbing?

lew
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (QUATS)

Post by lew » September 18th, 2023, 11:40 am

FWIW.. I've used fiberlock shockwave with good results and I believe quat is the active ingredient.