How many gun owners do we have here

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Bavaria
Grass Type: K-31/ kbg
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: How many gun owners do we have here

Post by Bavaria » May 3rd, 2013, 9:36 am

JC, and anybody else that is interested. Check out this site very good info.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/308win/

JC Paint Workz
Grass Type: 20% Prosperity, 20% Moonlight SLT, 30% Midnight II, 30% Bewitched

Post by JC Paint Workz » May 3rd, 2013, 9:44 am

Thanks for the link. I have been watching this guy's series on YouTube called Sniper 101 and theres a TON of useful info in this series but its VERY long over like 45 episodes so far lol. http://www.youtube.com/user/Tiborasauru ... ture=watch

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » May 3rd, 2013, 10:12 am

Yes sir copper fouling is a big deal to us splitting hairs for accuracy. At the end talks about ammo inconsistency that's why I reload. Case prep, cleaning sizing etc. I don't full length size on the case I use what's called a bump die. Which bumps the shoulder of the case. 22 rimfire should also not be cleaned much ether.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » May 3rd, 2013, 10:15 am

Bavaria wrote:Yes sir copper fouling is a big deal to us splitting hairs for accuracy. At the end talks about ammo inconsistency that's why I reload. Case prep, cleaning sizing etc. I don't full length size on the case I use what's called a bump die. Which bumps the shoulder of the case. 22 rimfire should also not be cleaned much ether.
Yep you want some copper fouling. Thats why new guns can be larger Grouping until you build up that copper lining inside the bore. A lot of people go hog nuts cleaning with a copper solvent every time they shoot and wonder why they never hit that sweet spot. Its cool to clean the gun but dont use the copper solvent every time. Also I found out never use a brass jag/brush when using copper solvent you'll never get that bore clean LOL. (its actually taking the brass coloring off the jag/brush and giving you false readings, always use a nickel plated or plastic jag when using copper solvent)

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » May 3rd, 2013, 10:17 am

Bavaria wrote:I don't full length size on the case I use what's called a bump die. Which bumps the shoulder of the case. 22 rimfire should also not be cleaned much ether.
Yes I have known about that too. Once the case is formed to your action there is NO need to full length size the case. Its already form fitted to your action. Your just bringing a lot of extra equations back into play every time you full length size after its been shot through that action. Get more accuracy with a case thats already been form fitted to your action without resizing again. Its already sized! I have been researching A LOT lately. My brains on overload lol

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » May 3rd, 2013, 10:28 am

Ok, now do you have a case OAL gauge? formally called a stoney gauge? Seat the bullet to proper length of Your Rifle... as the barrel wears you have to move the bullet further out in the case. You may have already read or seen this.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » May 3rd, 2013, 10:34 am

Bavaria wrote:Ok, now do you have a case OAL gauge? formally called a stoney gauge? Seat the bullet to proper length of Your Rifle... as the barrel wears you have to move the bullet further out in the case. You may have already read or seen this.
nope but I just googled it and seen the Sinclair Video showing how to use it. I dont have any gear for .308 yet just 40 and .223 setups. But thanks for the info. Thats a neat little tool almost like a bore guide that holds a case to show you the exact OAL for your barrel sweet! I'll have to look into that when I start buying supplies for 308

pwking
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by pwking » May 5th, 2013, 10:21 am

JC Paint Workz wrote:
Bavaria wrote:Yes sir copper fouling is a big deal to us splitting hairs for accuracy. At the end talks about ammo inconsistency that's why I reload. Case prep, cleaning sizing etc. I don't full length size on the case I use what's called a bump die. Which bumps the shoulder of the case. 22 rimfire should also not be cleaned much ether.
Yep you want some copper fouling. Thats why new guns can be larger Grouping until you build up that copper lining inside the bore. A lot of people go hog nuts cleaning with a copper solvent every time they shoot and wonder why they never hit that sweet spot. Its cool to clean the gun but dont use the copper solvent every time. Also I found out never use a brass jag/brush when using copper solvent you'll never get that bore clean LOL. (its actually taking the brass coloring off the jag/brush and giving you false readings, always use a nickel plated or plastic jag when using copper solvent)
This is more about consistency then clean or dirty. A bbl can definitely be too dirty with powder and copper - especially smaller calibers. I must clean the bbl every 20 or so shots with my 17 Rem factory bbl. If I don't, my groups start to open up. After cleaning, my first couple shots are off the mark by as much as 3/4". After those fouling shots, I'm back in business.

The most important thing for cleaning though is to get a bore guide and only one piece rods. Without, you will do more harm than good.

On the bump dies - I think they are great. After X many reloads of that casing, I have to full length size the case again or it gets too tight. For my 22-250 that was around 6 reloadings.

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » May 5th, 2013, 10:59 am

What rifle and type brass are you using in the 22-250? Some of that is due to the hot loads you run in that caliber. I use one piece Dewey cleaning rods and rod guide tubes in all my rifles.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » May 5th, 2013, 11:20 am

I got 1 piece Tipton carbon fiber rod and bore guide but I want to eventually order the good bore guide. Its a fellas name and I can't remember it right now but they are kinda pricey and there not universal so I got good rated universal one for now.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » May 5th, 2013, 11:43 am

Sinclair sells them, call them they will send the correct guide to fit your rifle and caliber. They have a port as well for solvent that fits in the receiver.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » May 5th, 2013, 12:09 pm

His name is Mike Lucas and I guess his made to order bore guides are highly recommended

[ Post made via Android ] Image

finyank13
Grass Type: Not Sure

Post by finyank13 » May 6th, 2013, 4:58 pm

I just sold my 2 Beretta's and bought my childhood dream firearm, Springfield 1911. I am picking it up tomorrow and I cant wait!! I am going to have the trigger doled out a little bit because it is real quick on the 1911's and also I will put some Bomar rear sights on it as well...

I also have a Bushmaster XM-15, got it when I came back from Iraq in 2004.

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » May 6th, 2013, 6:23 pm

It's like going to a candy store when you were young. I browse on the net don't put me on a store I won't leave. Well, when they had inventory. My rifle is due in this week got the call this morning.

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Post by killerv » May 7th, 2013, 2:54 pm

I own 20 or so, have really lost count. Guess that makes me a gun owner. Also enjoy reloading for rifle. Worked for a gun shop through college that tuned and custom loaded for rifles. I have the sinclair OAL guage and hornady headspace gauges...both are must haves!

About to start loading for my new 7-08 barrel , first loads are ready to roll, just need to get out to the range.

Have always had great success with Butch's Bore Shine and Pro-shot products.

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » May 8th, 2013, 8:12 am

I have Butches Bore Shine, as well as the old Hoppes 9. (Shotgun, pistol cleaning).

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » May 11th, 2013, 8:46 am

Any recommendations on a gun cabinet? I got my new rifle and it doesn't fit the cabinet. 29" barrel. Plus it's full. Needs to be enclosed and up off the floor if possible. (Legs).

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Post by killerv » May 15th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Cut and recrown the barrel!

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » May 15th, 2013, 1:52 pm

killerv wrote:Cut and recrown the barrel!
LOL thats one way to make it fit haha

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » May 16th, 2013, 8:15 am

JC Paint Workz wrote:
killerv wrote:Cut and recrown the barrel!
LOL thats one way to make it fit haha
LOL, I thought about it I could mount a side cabinet like a mechanics tool box and slap some wood call it a day. Ha.
Next project 257 Roberts model 700 converted to a 308. Using a Shilen SS light target contour barrel from Brownells 1-10 twist. See JC I really do like that .308. Ya got me thinking. Ha.