How many gun owners do we have here

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
JC Paint Workz
Grass Type: 20% Prosperity, 20% Moonlight SLT, 30% Midnight II, 30% Bewitched
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

How many gun owners do we have here

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 9th, 2011, 10:12 pm

Just seeing how many gun enthusiasts we have here. Do you carry? If so do you conceal/open carry? I've been a gun collector since I was born. My grandfather gave me a per WWII colt 45 single action revolver when I was born. It was fully 100% engraved with my name birthdate etc. needless to say it ended up being stolen when I was 17 for my dads house when they broke in. Makes me sick to even think about it. My dad also didn't know he had to have extra writer on firearms over 2k either so that's all we got for firearms. Anyways just curious if we have a fellow collectors or hobby/comp shooters.

xxryu139xx
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Emblem/NuGlade/Bedazzled

Re: How many gun owners do we have here

Post by xxryu139xx » November 9th, 2011, 10:47 pm

ooo... i saw that rifle on Pawn Stars... u better call em!

Michael Wise
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Post by Michael Wise » November 9th, 2011, 10:59 pm

+1 gun enthusiast. Well, not the biggest enthusiast, but more than just an owner.

First I ever bought was a Remington 870. Nicest is probably my Benelli M1 super 90. The one I shoot the most, too.

Everybody owns a 10/22, right? Hogue rubber molded stock and a green mountain barrel. Minor trigger mod for a lighter pull.

Handguns are a Walther p22 and a Springfield XD9 subcompact.

Also a Remington 700 in 30-06.

My next firearm purchase will be either a 45-70 big bore rifle, or a suppressed barrel for the 10/22.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 9th, 2011, 11:10 pm

xxryu139xx wrote:ooo... i saw that rifle on Pawn Stars... u better call em!
Huh

xxryu139xx
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Emblem/NuGlade/Bedazzled

Post by xxryu139xx » November 9th, 2011, 11:15 pm

i'm joking man, i see alot of vintage guns being sold to the Pawn Stars. cable tv show, just in case u did not know =p

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 9th, 2011, 11:19 pm

No I figuered you were joking but I was thinking there was a colt 45 like described and I love looking at them and I watch the show. I was like huh I havnt seen that one lol

Btw it wasn't a rifle it was hand gun lol. Long enough I suppose to be considered a rifle. I miss that cowboy gun

Last edited by JC Paint Workz on November 9th, 2011, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texasweed

Post by texasweed » November 9th, 2011, 11:21 pm

I have several and like to collect WWII arms.

I used to be an avid hunter (deer, quail, dove, and duck), but but not so much anymore. Not planning to hunt deer this year, last time I went was last year to Arkansas and hunted on horseback with dogs and shotguns. Not certain but I think Arkansas is the only state that allows deer to be hunted on horseback, with dogs and shot gun.

In TX I did have a concealed permit, but not here in AZ as it is not required to have carry permit.

new to this
Grass Type: KBG Front, PRG Back

Post by new to this » November 10th, 2011, 12:33 am

in the process of getting a permit. my father passed recently and my mom isn't too comfortable with his guns hanging around (locked in a safe though). he was a retired cop, but all his guns are small and old, especially the pistol that his grandfather gave him. his service revolver was a silver 357, but he had to give it back when he retired :(

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 10th, 2011, 12:01 pm

What do you guys think the future hold on gun rights? Do you think they'll bring the Assault Ban back? what about permits/right to carry?

texasweed

Post by texasweed » November 10th, 2011, 2:21 pm

JC Paint Workz wrote:What do you guys think the future hold on gun rights? Do you think they'll bring the Assault Ban back? what about permits/right to carry?
Depends on which State you are talking about. In AZ where I live now you are not required to have a permit to carry, and assault weapons are not banned.

In my home state of TX there is no Assault Riffle ban, and carry permits are a bit undefined. In general to carry a concealed hand gun everywhere you need a permit, but can carry a long gun in all but a few places like schools and government buildings. One exemption is you can carry a concealed handgun without a permit from your car to place of biz, and back again. This coincides with with TX Castle Doctrine to use deadly force to protect yourself wherever you happen to be.

There was a well publicized case in Houston where a woman was attacked by a mugger downtown with many witnesses. She pulled out a 9 MM from her purse and shot him 9 times in the back as he fled. When cross examined by the DA in court, The DA asked; why was it necessary to shoot him 9 times in the back? She replied; because that was all the rounds she had in the gun. She was acquitted of all charges.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 10th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Yea I have heard that story. And in Indiana our laws are very smililar except we have to have a permit to conceal carry. And as of yet nonassault bans. I have a feeling their going to being the ban back into affect.

Bavaria
Grass Type: K-31/ kbg

Post by Bavaria » November 11th, 2011, 8:51 am

Well, I think most of you already know that i'm into guns, for many years. I don't conceal. I load my own ammo. Long range shooter. When I can get down state. Or 100 yrds. at the local range. This is where I get my obsession of weights and measure. I even reload my shotgun shells. 12-20 Ga. Althoug since most of the over the counter ammo is made out of the US. It's not really a savings. As far as reloading, it is the best way of getting accuracy. Testing loads for accuracy - powder, bullets, case OAL. Using quality brass + primers (when there is no shortage). Sinclair is where to go for supplies for serious shooters. I'm not a big pistol shooter. Mainly rifle, shotgun. I use to hunt years ago, pheasant, grouse occasional deer.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 11th, 2011, 9:25 am

I have had the interest in reloading myself but for little I do, compared to some, I don't think it's worth it. It would be more just a hands on then savings.

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » November 11th, 2011, 11:07 am

Yes for most people over the counter will do. I don't reload shotgun much, only because I have the press, primers, powder,shot and wads. Over the counter really won't do if you want real acccuracy, as the assembly line of the factory loads are an unknown. Even .22 rimfire if you see in the olympic shooters they find the best "Lot" they can find and order the same lot#'s according to the accuracy. Too many variables. Test rimfire say Remington vs. Eley,Wolf, Winchester Etc. Most of Remingtons ammo is subpar at best.

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Post by killerv » November 14th, 2011, 1:49 pm

I used to have a nice collection, probably 30-40 guns, had to sell the collectible stuff to make ends meet, but kept what I actually used and needed to hunt with. Did however manage to keep an 1875 S&W Schofield. I carry a Glock 19. Used to be a real avid clay shooter, but can't afford to shoot like I used to or really have the time. Hunt mainly duck, turkey, and deer.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » November 14th, 2011, 9:10 pm

I have my dad's handguns but his rifles never turned up after being stolen. He was an AF pilot and managed to get out of WWII with the 1911 Colt .45 they issued to him. After WWII they reissued .38 revolvers for survival packs but it held little interest for him. While in France he picked up a German soldier's rifle and a little purse pistol, .25 cal. The .25 cal is hopelessly inaccurate. You have to hold it up against something to hit it. The .45 is very accurate and a joy to shoot. I took my daughters shooting a few weeks ago and they liked shooting the .45. I also have a .32 from my father in law and my dad's ancient .22 Colt Woodsman target shooter. I don't know how he hit much with the .22 unless he was just in closer than I tend to think. All these guns were stolen and returned. My dad played golf with a lot of federal guys and they convinced him to register his handguns with the FBI way back before it was even talked about. They were stolen and every handgun returned after being captured in the commission of a crime.

My dad was a hunter. I'm not at all. His favorite rifle was a 250/3000 Savage. Sonofabitch that was a serious hunting piece...even at .25 caliber. He also had a double barrel shotgun (stolen in a separate incident) and the Mauser (stolen separately). I inherited my grandfather's Model 10 12-gauge Remington. He may have liked it after using it in the Marines in WWI, but it is a beast now. I can shoot it 2 times but after that I'm crying and my shoulder can't take it anymore. Awful kick back.

Don't have a concealed carry license and don't carry. Everyone I know here has guns and many have CCLs. My sister retired from the sheriff's department administrative offices and still likes to carry two small handguns in her purse as well as a stun gun and mace. Obviously she's not hunting.

Big Cat
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Big Cat » November 21st, 2011, 4:04 pm

Proud owner of several hand guns, rifles and shotguns. Afterall, what else am I going to use to protect my stores of milorganite, fertilizers and herbicides! :)

texasweed

Post by texasweed » November 22nd, 2011, 11:51 pm

Bavaria wrote: I load my own ammo. Long range shooter. When I can get down state. Or 100 yrds. at the local range. This is where I get my obsession of weights and measure. Although since most of the over the counter ammo is made out of the US. It's not really a savings.
I agree. I use to reload when I was a kid, 12 ga shotgun) but today factory loads are inexpensive, and if you do a little experimenting with your gun and various bullet weights you can get really good accuracy from factory loads. Few years back I had a gun smith make some loads tuned for my 30-06 and 270 so I am fixed up more than likely for life. I have a lazer bore site so aligning the scopes is fast and easy when and if I should hunt again for elk, sheep, deer, or hogs
Bavaria wrote: I even reload my shotgun shells. 12-20 Ga. As far as reloading, it is the best way of getting accuracy.
OK you got me puzzled with this statement. If you mean rifle or pistol loads I agree, but shotgun... Are you talking pattern or what?

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » November 23rd, 2011, 10:22 am

It's a 2 statement in one. I load shot shells and reload rifle. Shotgun isn't precise. Load enough powder to do the job (Bushing size). As far as factory rifle loads you have to keep in mind as you go thru rounds your barrel starts to wear, so you measure for bullet seat depth. That's were the Stoney OAL gauge comes in. Factory loads, bullet seat depth is the same. Eventually the barrel has to be replaced from wear. The more the barrel wears the further the the bullet travels - throat. I seat the bullet .001" from rifling. Some people .002". Not every gun is the same so if you measure the same manufacturer/model gun the head spacing could be different. Some calibers burn barrels out faster than others like the 22-250. Hot loads tends to burn out faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICBv-0U87Y

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » April 25th, 2013, 9:02 pm

Just picked up a 642 S&W pistol. Also ordered a Savage model 12 6mm BR.Now the fun really begins finding loading components. Out of Stock everywhere. Anybody have any luck?