Anybody Vape?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
JC Paint Workz
Grass Type: 20% Prosperity, 20% Moonlight SLT, 30% Midnight II, 30% Bewitched
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Anybody Vape?

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 16th, 2012, 1:03 pm

(The Ego (~$25) is great, so no complaints there. JC uses a Provari, which is the most expensive (~$150+), and arguably the best one on the market. I personally like the Volt X2 (~$25) and Vision Spinner (~$30).)

I figured the reason I jumped straight to the ProVari IMO it should be the first/last unit I need for my needs. It can do just about any voltage (it would be nice if they come out with the VW (variable wattage) unit but still this can accept any cartomizer/tank etc. and its still less then 1 month of my smoking cost me!

(The battery is only half the story, the other half is what you put on the end and that holds the liquid. Choices include tanks (JC uses the Vivi Nova), cartomizers (Mom likes these), bottom-feeding cleartos (I like these) and half a dozen other things.)

I actually just got in a DCT (Dual Cartomizer Tank) and trying out the 1.5 DCT (actually two 3ohm coils) and seems to have a hotter vape inhaling but cooler vape exhaling (when vaping menthols) but snaps and crackles quite loud, the Vivi Nova is actually very quite. But I'm torn between the two and looking at trying to reg single coil cartomizers as I'm falling in love with Phiniac Tanks lol they make some awesome tanks

(Start with cartomizers, they're no-brainers and easy to use. You can get them blank or pre-filled with liquids.)

I agree start with cartomizers they are very easy to refill and no brainers!! plus they are easy to use as well and dosnt look like you have some huge contraption on your device just starting out lol

NiciPicki
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Award, Moonbeam, Prosperity

Post by NiciPicki » November 16th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Thanks, both of you! It sounds like the #1 biggest up-front issue is the size/shape. I'll ask him that list of questions tonight and let ya know what I find out. I definitely agree to go with the simplest solution to fit his situation at this point! Making the decision to switch is hard enough without having to immediately worry about how to create your own refills and such.

I think that's exactly what he was afraid of with the kiosks - high mark-up and questionable quality. Those types of shops have a pretty good reputation for being shady.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 16th, 2012, 1:19 pm

NiciPicki wrote:Thanks, both of you! It sounds like the #1 biggest up-front issue is the size/shape. I'll ask him that list of questions tonight and let ya know what I find out. I definitely agree to go with the simplest solution to fit his situation at this point! Making the decision to switch is hard enough without having to immediately worry about how to create your own refills and such.

I think that's exactly what he was afraid of with the kiosks - high mark-up and questionable quality. Those types of shops have a pretty good reputation for being shady.
Yea its overwhelming with the huge variety of options to chose from but once you get into it and understand the terminology of things its quite simple just a few main components and just a bazillion different brands/manf of the items. at the end of the day they just create vapor lol

refilling the cartomizers isnt too hard at all just need juice (which is fairly cheap) or you can buy prefilled ones (I'm leary on those) cause it seems you never get what your told (amount wise)

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » November 16th, 2012, 1:19 pm

If you absolutely twisted my arm and without knowing anything except my own experience, I'd recommend the following as a starter kit. But it's subject to change depending on what he wants out of this.

JC's right, it's not effortless, but it's sure easier. Me, quit? Pshaw. Never. But I did. Mom went with no transition, I took a while, and still get blind-sided by the occasional craving. I do find that WTA liquids seem to help and I need less of them as time goes on.

Every now and again I wonder for a moment where my ashtray is. Then I remember.

Even if he only fills in with this and gets rid of half to 90% of the cigs, it's an improvement.

http://smokelessimage.com/accessories/x ... ttery.html
$20 per battery
The Volt X2. I'd recommend 650 for the smaller form factor, Automatic, and a color he likes (black is very stylish and goes with everything). This will come with the battery and the charging cable, which will charge off any USB. Get two--although you can plug the rear end into the computer and use it while charging, when out and about you'll want the option to charge one and use the other. The 900 isn't huge, but still larger than a cigarette smoker will like.

http://smokelessimage.com/accessories/u ... lug1a.html
$10 each (one is usually enough, although I personally have several chargers).
The wall plug so you can charge without a computer handy.

http://smokelessimage.com/filter-tips.html
$9 per five pack
Cartomizers, which you put on the end of the battery to hold the liquid and the atomizer. Depending on how heavy a smoker, you'll go through 3 to 10 of these a day. Strength depends on how tolerant he is to nicotine personally, and what he's currently smoking and how much. 12 or 18 is usually a good starting point (12 for light, 18 for heavy smokers), but 24 may be required to finally quit.
Sample packs are available.
Cartomizers are refillable, and you can fill them with a different liquid if you want (a different strength of the same flavor won't be notably different, a different flavor will combine with the old one, which can be naughty or nice).
They do make 0 mg liquid, nicotine-free, for people who are pulling their nic dose down to quit totally. Don't order this initially for obvious reasons...

http://smokelessimage.com/refill-liquid.html
$14 for 30 ml
Refill liquid for the cartomizer; 30 ml is enough for about 45 refills (it will vary from 30 to 60 depending on the carto, but the cartos with the higher capacity also last a lot longer and you use fewer of them).
It's wise to hold off on the liquid until you know what flavor(s) you're going to use, and that can take some experimentation. I certainly can, and I'm sure JC can, tell you about some flavors that sounded great but...well, no. Just no.

Total Startup Cost: $40 for 1 battery and 5 cartos (pretty trim supply), $60 for 2 batteries, $70 for 2 batts and 10 cartos, and so on.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 16th, 2012, 1:29 pm

JC Paint Workz wrote: Yea its overwhelming with the huge variety of options to chose from but once you get into it and understand the terminology of things its quite simple just a few main components and just a bazillion different brands/manf of the items. at the end of the day they just create vapor lol
Like anything else. Brushing one's teeth is a very simple operation, but look at the types and styles of toothbrush and toothpaste out there. Changing brands is a nightmare and usually done because your dentist or somebody you know recommended something.

I just changed on Mom's rec of Colgate's Optic White. It pulled the old smoke stains right off and everybody thought I'd whitened my teeth again.

Really, this is just a battery for power, an atomizer to turn the liquid to steam, and that's it. Everything else is a matter of preference as much as anything--JC likes his tanks, I like my cleartos, Mom likes her cartos, and some like their drip atomizers.
refilling the cartomizers isnt too hard at all just need juice (which is fairly cheap) or you can buy prefilled ones (I'm leary on those) cause it seems you never get what your told (amount wise)
I started with prefilled to a) get a supply of cartos, and b) a variety of flavors fairly cheaply (the prefilled are about the same price as the empty ones). I used that to experiment with flavors and determine what I liked.

Post that, I bought liquid for a while. I now make my own liquid 250 ml at a time, and buy Mom's 125 ml at a time from My Freedom Smokes (she likes the Kool). Or did until I slipped her some of mine, and we'll be finishing the Kool and I'll be making my flavor for both of us (she uses 12 mg/ml nicotine, I use 22).

I do find a blunt-tipped syringe helpful in filling cartomizers, but a lot of people drip it right out of the bottle and do just fine with it. I like to see what I'm doing, and the syringe lets me fill without overfilling too badly.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 16th, 2012, 1:35 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
I started with prefilled to a) get a supply of cartos, and b) a variety of flavors fairly cheaply (the prefilled are about the same price as the empty ones). I used that to experiment with flavors and determine what I liked.
Now that you mention that it would be wiser to get prefilled I forgot they are practically same price as empty and you can try various flavors and start to stock up on cartomizers since they are cleanable! thats actually what I did with my cigalike and cleaned them then started with the "sample" size bottles of juice!

Good catch Morph!

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 16th, 2012, 1:36 pm

is it just me or do you find it kinda fun converting people lol, I just coverted my 52 year old buddy. we'll see how he does but it feels good and kinda fun sharing the knowledge with others lol I know I'm kind of a nerd with some things!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 16th, 2012, 1:50 pm

NiciPicki wrote:Thanks, both of you! It sounds like the #1 biggest up-front issue is the size/shape.
Pretty much. They make them from minis to things a child's fist wouldn't fit around. Most are shaped like cigs, in columns, but some are boxes or unusual shapes.

As a rule, size relates directly to battery life (the larger units fit a larger, longer-lasting battery). Here, they measure batt life in milliamp-hours (mAh).

Roughly, and very dependent on the person's style, 100 mAh is 1 hour of vaping time. For me, that's roughly correct. Mom does much better than that. If I'm having a bad day, I can go to 150 mAh per hour.

Batteries range from 90 mAh on the newest mini to over 2,000 mAh on the largest models. Most range between 250 and 1,300, with 1,300 being the largest size I'm comfortable carting around (three of four most-used ones are 1,300, the fourth is a 900).

If he's the sort who spends vast amounts of time away from any possibility of charging, the larger model will serve much better (and always carry a backup unit!). For truckers and travelers and the like, cigarette lighter plugin chargers are available.

If he's parked at a desk most of the time with a computer, almost anything would be fine. Power's available right there.
point! Making the decision to switch is hard enough without having to immediately worry about how to create your own refills and such.
Got that right. And that's the reason most start with the cig-alikes like the Blu or Misty. They resemble a cigarette so they feel right to you. Then you hate the limited battery power, and go with something bigger--but you already adjusted away from the concept of smoking and into the concept of vaping.

One thing to try is the Blu disposable (tastes awful, terrible vapor, but shows the concept). If there's any indication that...er, hey, I didn't smoke five cigarettes today!...then it's worth moving on. And the $10 investment is cheap.

A lot of people moan and complain that they spent $70 to $150 on a cig-alike they no longer use. If it got them to quit smoking, I'd personally call it cheap--one to two cartons of cigarettes.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 16th, 2012, 1:58 pm

JC Paint Workz wrote:is it just me or do you find it kinda fun converting people lol, I just coverted my 52 year old buddy. we'll see how he does but it feels good and kinda fun sharing the knowledge with others lol I know I'm kind of a nerd with some things!
We have become that most awful of creatures: The Ex Smoker. :-)

I'm working on a cousin of mine, as is my mother, as he's in his thirties and starting to show some smoking-related issues.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 16th, 2012, 2:00 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
JC Paint Workz wrote:is it just me or do you find it kinda fun converting people lol, I just coverted my 52 year old buddy. we'll see how he does but it feels good and kinda fun sharing the knowledge with others lol I know I'm kind of a nerd with some things!
We have become that most awful of creatures: The Ex Smoker. :-)

I'm working on a cousin of mine, as is my mother, as he's in his thirties and starting to show some smoking-related issues.
yep I find it like others assume it dosnt work and it WONT work for them but you'll never know till you try it. I need to get some more condoms for my drip tips lol Tired of sharing my drip tips with everyone and their brother and having to clean them each time!

crabgrass
Grass Type: Established TTTF/FF mix with some KBG overseeded - Fighting invasive Bermuda.
Level: Experienced

Post by crabgrass » November 16th, 2012, 2:55 pm

My co-worker vapes at the office. Other than a slight aroma, it is not noticeable. I have no objections.

However, the prankster in me had to hang this on his cube:

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 16th, 2012, 3:08 pm

HAHAHA!!!!
gotcrabgrass wrote:My co-worker vapes at the office. Other than a slight aroma, it is not noticeable. I have no objections.

However, the prankster in me had to hang this on his cube:

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 16th, 2012, 4:19 pm

Love it. Some places do ban vaping at the office.

I wish they'd ban lavender perfume, Indian food, and not showering, personally.

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 16th, 2012, 10:24 pm

MorpheusPA wrote: 1) Is he married to the cig form factor, at least for now?
1a) If so, realize that the power tends to be low and the lifespan short before recharging--and you can always change your mind in the future as most of us do and go get a larger one.
2) How much does he want to spend, approximate range? Good kits are usually $50 to $75. Expensive kits go up to $200.
3) How heavy a smoker is he now, and what does he smoke? That will give some indication on the liquid strength to start with. I started at 12 and rapidly stepped up to 22. I was a heavy smoker, but ultra-lights, and thought the 12 would do. Not really, no.
4) Regular or menthol? That will tell you what liquid to start with--although a lot of people prefer the menthol liquids once they get going whether or not they smoked menthols.
Wow, tons more info! This is great. He's excited to pick something out, so we're sitting here going through the questions now.
1. He's not married to the cigarette shape, he's more concerned about throat hit. His way of describing it, he wants it to be "harsh."
2. If it works, price is less of an issue.
3. 15/day, and Camel Lights.
4. Regular

Again, we both appreciate your help and suggestions. He's pretty excited to give this a shot. :D

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 16th, 2012, 11:25 pm

1) That means higher voltage, which means NOT a cig-alike (3.7 volts at the start to 3.2 volts when it dies). I'm hesitant to recommend variable voltage for a beginning user, so I'm going to go with my original X2 recommendation.

The problem with that is that the X2 is 808 threaded, and most of the variable voltage (VV) models are 510 threaded. All my VV models have been fitted with adapters to use 808 cartos and whatnot, and those are easily found.

Er, JC, opinion here?

1a) That's also a function of liquid. Harsh = heavy throat hit, which means a PG (propylene glycol) liquid (VG, vegetable glycerine, gives a much smoother, softer hit). Menthols tend to hit harder than fruit flavors, for example, as well. Higher nicotine liquids hit harder than lower-nic ones.

2) This is always true. :-) None of the basic variable voltage models are terribly expensive, the Spinner runs about $29.

3) So moderate rate (low smoking rate, a third of what I was...but on something three times stronger to begin with). Personally, I'd recommend 18 mg nic liquid most of the time, with maybe 24 in the morning. And ease off the cigs and onto the vapor if he has to. That first one in the morning is hardest to quit.

4) While that MAY reduce throat hit a little, and almost nobody stays with tobacco flavors (why when there are COOKIE FLAVORS out there?!?), one of the harder tobaccos might be good to start, like 555. That's usually described as "rich" or "full," which can be translated as "hits like a freight train." Some love it, some hate it.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 17th, 2012, 11:26 am

NiciPicki wrote: Wow, tons more info! This is great. He's excited to pick something out, so we're sitting here going through the questions now.
1. He's not married to the cigarette shape, he's more concerned about throat hit. His way of describing it, he wants it to be "harsh."
2. If it works, price is less of an issue.
3. 15/day, and Camel Lights.
4. Regular

Again, we both appreciate your help and suggestions. He's pretty excited to give this a shot. :D
1. Thats good he's not tied to the cigalike as theres a ton more options. as Morph said throat hit is going to depend on mg of Nicotine he uses and the PG/VG ratio. Voltage IMHO just makes more vapor/hotter vaper etc.. I don't see a terrible terrible difference from 3.7 (normal average voltage on most Non Variable devices) as I do on 4.5Volts, some people count the warmer part of high voltage as "throat hit" I don't really I just count it as a different vapor temp lol, to each their own. But higher Nic will show a harsher throat hit.

I'm too a little worried about a variable voltage but myself went straight from a cigalike to a great variable voltage and never looking back. If he's into gadgets and has no problem working say digital remote controls, computers, cell phones, he shouldn't have a problem with variable voltage but theres a lot that comes with it like knowing what voltage to run on different Ohm heads/cartomizers etc.. Thats what I love about the ProVari. Its pricey but it will throw a error if your running to high voltage etc. its kinda fool proof.

I am not by any means telling you to go with the ProVari (just throwing this and few other options out there)

ProVari variable voltage (whats known as the cadillac of vaping world lol, I purchased the Black Mini (upgraded to Blue LED $15 up charge) standard charger, 12v DC charger adapter, (2) 18350 batteries, and the ext warranty (gives you 2 years instead of factory 1 year) and I spent right around 250.00, mind you then you still have to buy the tanks or cartomizers whatever you choose to use plus you juice!
ProVari http://www.provape.com

Here is a variable voltage called the Ego Twist this is a nice kit but there is many others out there.
http://www.cloudsofvapor.com/store/175- ... r-kit.html

I would like to know more if he's into tinkering with things and good with electronics etc.. to see what I would recommend over others etc.. some people dont like to mess with stuff and dont want to change voltages etc.. I would also like to know what type of work he does (i dont need the details just what environment, did he smoke on the job, did he have to go out for smoke breaks, did he sit at a desk all day at home like me lol) I ask this because there is different size units and theres also whats called a "Passthrough" unit that still is battery operated but if your in a vehicle or at a computer all day you can plug into a USB slot and run off computer power instead of running off your battery power!

2. I agree 110% if it works right the first time then price isnt a option if its something you only have to buy once

3. I too, as Morph stated, would stick with 18mg nicotine and work your way down from there. Anything less would be risking not having enough Nicotine and would have the want to go back to smokes. I personally started with 24mg as I smoked a lot almost 2 packs a day. I smoked marlboro menthol lights and I have to back off close to nighttime or vape a lower mg cause I get a sore throat the next morning.

4. I agree with Morph as well you'll be telling yourself with all these delicious flavors why in the world would I want to continue with a tobacco flavor lol. To each their own some people like staying with tobacco styles but majority will vape a different flavor very shortly after there initial run.

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 17th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Okay, I'm sitting down for my morning vice (coffee.... lots and lots of coffee) and he's coming back in from his.

He's as good with electronics as any regular 26-year-old dude, so a LITTLE tinkering would not be a downfall, but he does want to try to keep it simple. "If I have to mess with it a lot, I'm going to end up not using it." But he's not afraid of some initial set-up when he gets the thing.

As far as lifestyle, his varies a lot. While in Texas, he's a freelance videographer by trade, but also does work with aquariums at homes and businesses. Right now he's a my house for the near future, which means lots of hanging out and various trips around town and stuff. At this point, he wants to keep his normal smoking routine, which is always outside (never in the house or car). He's used walking 50 feet or so from entrances of buildings to go have a smoke. So probably something with a decent battery would be good, though I think most of the time he would be near a charging source, whether that's a wall or vehicle.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 17th, 2012, 12:31 pm

I'm going to let Morph chime in on my recent post before I recommend anything else. I want to make sure I"m not getting carried away LOL ( I do that a lot) its better to have 2 opinions oppose to 1. We'll see what he has to say.

Morph: are you thinking VV would be the way to go for him? or do you think 3.7 would be enough?

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 17th, 2012, 1:03 pm

JC, we just watched your YouTube reviews of the Blu and ProVari, and they were really helpful. He's really intrigued by how the ProVari can do it all. However, the Blu looks really nice too from a portability standpoint (though he does keep saying - if it works, he doesn't really care if it's kinda big or funny-looking).

I gotta say, I'm not even a smoker and I'm super interested in how these things work. New toys are fun! I'm enjoying helping him out with this stuff. I know I keep saying it, but thanks a million times for all the help!! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your thoughts.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 17th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Let me be honest and say the Blu works but IMO its overpriced especially if your not needing a cigalike shape/style. Its a OK starter kit "if" your not going to buy their prefilled cartridges. They are really over priced (you save a ton if you fill your own cartomizers) I have been debating on sending my Blu kit back (under the 30 day guarantee) but like my wife says if something was to happen with my ProVari and I needed to send it back I would have the Blu as a back up so she said just keep it.

I will also say the Ego styles arnt as big bulky as the others like the ProVari but there still longer form there more pen like instead of flashlight style like the ProVari and others!