Anybody Vape?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Anybody Vape?

Post by MorpheusPA » November 17th, 2012, 1:58 pm

With the Twist or the Spinner, it's as easy to change as twisting the dial at the bottom (photo of a Spinner: http://www.gotvapes.com/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=1195). Third image down. Turn the little ring to what you want (all settings are active, the markings are just done every 0.5 volts).

I'd have no objection to a Spinner or a Twist (both 510 threaded) to start--except for one thing. Almost all variable voltage units are manual, which means you hit a button to fire the atomizer (automatics respond when you draw on them like a cigarette does). There's a slight adjustment there, although I find I didn't think about it after the first day or so. It also requires you have a hand free (which is why I use the cig-alike auto at the computer).

Size is the only question remaining. My black Vision Spinner 1,300 Fat Batt measures a touch under 4 1/2". The 1,100 (less power) is longer but not as fat. The 900 is a touch shorter, the 650 looks to be about 3 1/4" long. VV units are generally larger and longer than the corresponding fixed voltage unit (the electronics and setting dial has to fit), but not by much.

The 1,300 fits easily in my pants pocket. Durability of the unit seems good, the construction is solid, and I expect the unit to last six months to a year before the battery starts to lose capacity--since I have two, a year to two years in my case.

He can get one to start, and add another later to cover the recharge period on the first if he finds this will work.

My recommendation here is the Spinner since I have experience with it, but JC might have some with the Twist. Assuming the manual is OK and the 1,300 is also OK and black is also OK:

http://www.smoktek.com/Vision-Spinner-V ... p_449.html
$24.95 -- Madvapes is out of these right now, SmokTek only has chrome, white, and blue. I have a blue, it's not offensive at all and I do like it.
The unit, 1300 mAh (about 13 hours of vaping time). He'll want a second in the future, but one to start is OK during the transition period (and saves $30 on your initial expense).

Charger, same page as an option, $5.99.

http://www.smoktek.com/ST-510-Cartomize ... p_206.html
$7.49/5 pack
Standard cartomizers. I've never used SmokTek's brand specifically (I use 808 hookups), but I've never noticed much difference between any brand. These are standard resistance, so the Spinner would work anywhere in its range (the low end will be a cold, thin vapor, the high end hot and probably sharper flavor).

http://www.smoktek.com/Flue-Cured-E-Liq ... p_289.html
$7.50
An example e-liquid that sounds like it might fit the bill (but one can never tell until tasting it). I'd recommend starting with 18 mg and going with the smaller sample size (12 ml) until he finds something he really likes.
Choosing several liquids to test as an initial order is a good idea. Of the four flavors I got initially, I liked 2 of them.

http://www.smoktek.com/BD-Syringe-Luer- ... p_104.html
http://www.smoktek.com/BD-Syringe-Needl ... p_105.html
$2.80
Syringe and needle. This is a sharp needle--I actually prefer blunt tip. You can also get syringes and needles at most Tractor Supply stores if you ask, and most pharmacies will have them as well (some states do not allow sale of syringes without a script, however). I'd recommend having several on-hand as needles do clog.

A word on e-liquids

There are about ten billion suppliers of these, some of whom sell in quantity. Frequently each of those ten billion suppliers has a hundred or more flavors. :-) By his specs, he wants PG (propylene glycol) based liquid, at least to start.

I personally like MFS (My Freedom Smokes) liquids, but that's a matter of personal preference and nothing else. I like a clean, simple flavor while others prefer complexity and polish on theirs. MFS also tends to be fairly inexpensive ($5 for 10 ml, compared to $7.50 for 12 ml above).

Just as one example, here's the link to MFS' liquid pages: http://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/categories/e-liquid.html

MFS carries the 555 flavor, which I think might be worth a try. It can be a touch perfumey, though, so I'm not sure.

If throat hit is disappointing, their Kool (menthol) flavor will knock your socks off. Mom prefers that, I find it to be too strong.

There are plenty to choose from and JC has his own favorite supplier, I'll guarantee!

JC Paint Workz
Grass Type: 20% Prosperity, 20% Moonlight SLT, 30% Midnight II, 30% Bewitched
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 17th, 2012, 2:05 pm

I wasnt familiar witht he spinner but it sounds like its the same as the Ego Twist. I have no personal hands on time with the twist so I would go with what Morph states on the Spinner if your wanting a variable voltage device (unless you want ProVari LOL). That way he can guide you through any questions you may have. I only recommended the twist becuase before I bought the Provari I was going to buy the twist and just bit the bullet and got the Provari.

Right now I'm using Halo mainly as well as Dark City Vapor's Triple V vanilla juice (its the closet thing to Blu's Vivid Vanilla) I'm still trying to find that sweet spot but I'm enjoying many many that I'm trying. Juices are like peoples names theres tons out there, some the same as others but everyone has their own lol

I will just suggest to only use USA made juices. I've read some scary things about overseas juices lol

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 17th, 2012, 2:26 pm

JC Paint Workz wrote:Juices are like peoples names theres tons out there, some the same as others but everyone has their own lol
True that. And unlike real life, where you avoid naming your children after anybody you don't like.

This actually means I'm down to naming any potential kids Jethro and Nefertiti, actually.
I will just suggest to only use USA made juices. I've read some scary things about overseas juices lol
Second that. I'd avoid Chinese-made liquids for two reasons--quality control simply isn't what it is in the States (and you're inhaling this stuff). One test of one Chinese liquid did find 8 PPM of nitrosamines, a carcinogen. That's minor (you get more from a single piece of bacon), but I'd avoid it if I can.

Second, Americans tend to dislike Chinese flavors. Our tastes are for less cloying, less perfumey things.

NiciPicki
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Award, Moonbeam, Prosperity

Post by NiciPicki » November 17th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Well, we've placed an order!

Nick liked the look of the blue Vision Spinner, and of course threw in the USB charger. He also got that 5-pack of cartomizers and some refill supplies. For the liquids, one 12-mL bottle each of 18 mg Flue-Cured and Massive Chocolate Mint Alien Visions juice.

Thanks for the suggestion about using American-made juice! I'm sure the overseas stuff isn't totally horrific, but if you can avoid it, why bother? It looked like the only American company on SmokeTek was Alien Visions. Do you guys have any recommendations for other USA-made brands?

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 17th, 2012, 8:29 pm

E-cigarette forum has a ton of info on juices and other great info as well!! Might browse through the juice section to get ideas!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 17th, 2012, 10:56 pm

NiciPicki wrote:Well, we've placed an order!

Nick liked the look of the blue Vision Spinner, and of course threw in the USB charger. He also got that 5-pack of cartomizers and some refill supplies. For the liquids, one 12-mL bottle each of 18 mg Flue-Cured and Massive Chocolate Mint Alien Visions juice.
Congrats! For a test of the Emergency Stop Smoking System, that'll work fine. Very shortly, he'll find that constantly refilling the cartomizers is a royal pain in the small poisonous snake and do what the rest of us do--either go with a higher-capacity delivery system like a tank, or buy a LOT of cartos and refill all at once. On the up side, he's a much lighter smoker than I was and I expect he'll take a day to tap five cartos. Refilling daily isn't too bad.
Thanks for the suggestion about using American-made juice! I'm sure the overseas stuff isn't totally horrific, but if you can avoid it, why bother? It looked like the only American company on SmokeTek was Alien Visions. Do you guys have any recommendations for other USA-made brands?
Some people actually prefer the Chinese made liquids; they're certainly cheaper, and some do like the flavors. I've never tried one so can't speak on the subject (I go domestic wherever possible from companies that use USP [pharmaceutical grade] ingredients, or make my own from USP grade).

Alien Visions is American, but also comparatively expensive when you look at other liquid makers.

Most companies in America are selling American e-liquids unless they specifically say otherwise or use the name of a Chinese supplier (like Dekang). People tend to get a bit touchy if they wanted American liquid and got Chinese (it's a surprisingly big deal in the industry).

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 17th, 2012, 11:12 pm

Now, a warning.

(NOW a warning?!?)

Yeah, it didn't apply before.

The warning: this isn't smoking and there's an adjustment period and different habits.

Don't do a quick, sharp draw off the vape, it won't work, and don't lung inhale like some do with a cig (I never did so there was no learning curve there).

Place vape in mouth, press button, draw slowly into mouth with tongue. Then inhale. The first couple of times people tend to cough, but you adjust fast. French inhale also works well with a vape.

Exhaling through the nose will maximize the amount of nicotine you get from each draw. I'm about fifty-fifty on mouth/nose.

Each cartomizer is the equivalent of about 3 to 5 cigarettes depending on his individual habits, and there's no cigarette butt to tell you when the experience of having a cigarette is over with. That's a bit of an adjustment, and I find that my system at first couldn't exactly tell--I rotated for a bit between nicotine-sick and nicotine-deprived until I learned my balance. That won't take long.

Feel you'd kill for a cigarette? You're nic deprived, vape more and more often. Absorption of the nicotine is very different (about thirty seconds as opposed to a cigarette's five seconds), and at a far lower level as far as anybody can tell.

Frontal headache, nausea, the shakes? You're not nic deprived, you're going into overdose. Cut back; if you must vape to feel comfortable, limit the inhale to very shallow (and vaping delivers more nic through the mouth and throat anyway). Try to cut back. A lot of people mistake overdose for deprivation.

Still absolutely about to kill somebody for a cig? Have one. Nobody said you have to do this all at once. Some do, like my mom. Some do not, like me. Every cigarette not smoked is a victory, even if that's only cutting back by a quarter.

Eventually you bite the bullet and just stop the cigs, usually when they start to taste bad and you realize you don't really need them any longer.

The habit adjustment from "smoking a cigarette" to "having a vape" took me about a month. It took my mom about a day. It takes some three to six months. Everybody differs.

You know that Smoker's Flu everybody talks about where you hack up things that apparently deposited in your lungs back around 1985? You're going to get that. It sucks. Completely. Using PG (propylene glycol) means it happens faster than it does if you just quit, and it does seem to be worse--PG will break up the lung cobwebs faster than just air will. We use PG in nebulizers for that reason, it's great for clearing out the airways.

People will ask questions as this isn't a common thing yet. Try to be nice. Being nice doesn't mean letting people you don't know try your vape, I find the mere idea disgusting. I make an exception for my mother, who always wants to try whatever flavor I have, but we kind of shared a body for nine months. She's allowed. They make disposable covers (called condoms) for cartos and tank tips to allow others to try your vape if you're so inclined. When cornered, I usually pull out my spare (I always carry one) and have them try that, and carry a carto if I'm somewhere where I know this will happen like Thanksgiving dinner this week--then I throw out the carto.

Smokers are totally going to hate on you, at least those who are not ready to quit. Ignore them.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 18th, 2012, 1:29 am

What he said lol. I quit smoking the day my kit arrived. But I also found a addiction to shopping for vape supplies. Which I need to find a cure for as well lol so go at your own pace. You'll feel when its ready. Try to quit immediately. If it doesn't work try to cut back half the smokes. If not go quarter and work your way less and less. Like Morph said some people are longer and some quit right away.

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 19th, 2012, 11:38 am

Thanks for all the tips, guys. Nick and I went through them together, and will continue to reference them as he begins the transition. So far he has planned on making a slower transition, where he allows himself an analog if he really wants one - and I'm perfectly supportive of that, because I'll be the one dealing with his crankybutt if he denies a craving!! :D

It sounds like a the 24-mL he purchased will last roughly 5 days (if each carto holds 1 mL, and estimating 5 of them in a day). That's also assuming he likes those flavors well enough, and doesn't feel the need to throw them out immediately. A quick Google maps search shows me that there are at least a handful of places in Columbus where he can pick up some juice. One of them is a tobacco shop that is conveniently located near my house! Not sure how great the choices will be at that shop, but there's also a place downtown that appears to have a really good selection. Dunno how their prices will compare with buying online, but in-person purchasing sure is convenient when you want something new "right now." He's probably gonna check out the one near my house today. JC, I can definitely see where it would be very easy to get hooked on buying supplies, and I'm not even the one using it!!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 19th, 2012, 12:46 pm

NiciPicki wrote:Thanks for all the tips, guys. Nick and I went through them together, and will continue to reference them as he begins the transition.
It sounds like a lot to remember and understand, but really, it's no more than smoking a cigarette. And Nick will find his own habits, which will differ from mine. Mom regularly walks away from her vape and comes back to it a few hours later, mine is always on my person. If I could figure out how to use it in the shower, I probably would.
So far he has planned on making a slower transition, where he allows himself an analog if he really wants one - and I'm perfectly supportive of that, because I'll be the one dealing with his crankybutt if he denies a craving!! :D
Whatever and however works for him is absolutely perfect. The poll at ECF shows that many quit the first day, others transition (mostly in 1-2 months), some take up to a year, some treat this as replacing most of their smoke but still enjoy them occasionally through the day but at lower levels than before.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that reduces the harm is a good thing.
It sounds like a the 24-mL he purchased will last roughly 5 days (if each carto holds 1 mL, and estimating 5 of them in a day).
Probably longer than that if he's a light smoker (which he is, under a pack a day). I rip through 5 ml a day, but I'm a heavy vaper coming off a heavy smoking habit. Mom goes through about 30 low-capacity cartos a week, or about 15-20 ml, or 2-3 ml per day. She was at about Nick's level.

The vast majority of us seem to use between 2 and 5 ml per day. Some who were light smokers become heavy vapers, though.
That's also assuming he likes those flavors well enough, and doesn't feel the need to throw them out immediately.
If he find a flavor distasteful, put it to the side for about 2 weeks out of sunlight and try it again. Some flavors benefit from a bit of steeping and lose the rough edges, becoming smoother and very nice.

My home brew has to steep for 3 days before it's where it should be--and it's a simple mix with very dominant and very plain flavors. Prior to that, it's sharp and the menthol is brutal. Post that, the cinnamon and chocolate integrate and smooth out the menthol. It's a warm mint with a hint of richness.

Most require at least a week. Some require a month. Companies usually make to order or have a small supply on-hand, and don't pre-steep.
A quick Google maps search shows me that there are at least a handful of places in Columbus where he can pick up some juice. One of them is a tobacco shop that is conveniently located near my house!
Lucky! The closest B&M store to me is twenty miles. All things considered, it's cheaper to order it.
Not sure how great the choices will be at that shop, but there's also a place downtown that appears to have a really good selection. Dunno how their prices will compare with buying online, but in-person purchasing sure is convenient when you want something new "right now." He's probably gonna check out the one near my house today.
Prices do tend to be a bit higher, but you're not paying shipping. It's also nice to support a local company if possible! Some stores allow you to test a flavor (they'll sell you an atomizer to drip onto and let you sample whatever you like). You get to keep the atomizer you bought, of course, for future testing or use at home if you like (some people like to direct atty drip for better flavor and hit, I find it annoying).
JC, I can definitely see where it would be very easy to get hooked on buying supplies, and I'm not even the one using it!!
One of these days I should put my supplies together in one place and photograph them. Even so, I've saved more than a grand in two months just from not smoking and vaping instead, and I haven't bought much in a month. I have everything.

One thing I would like is an external charger battery kit for power outages like the one we had during Sandy. We were lucky in only being out for a day.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 19th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Morph I'm needing help with DIY juices. I'm thinking about putting a order in with Wizard Labs and I'm still new to DIY ( i havnt done it at all) I'm trying to figure out everything. I was thinking of buying the 100mg nicotine largest size available and then buying the largest size of PG & VG then flavorings. I'm lost when it comes to how to dilute the nic base and what it brings it to if i go say 70pg/30vg etc. I've seen a couple calculators out there but starting out its all confusing. Plus I'm still trying to figure out the flavorings too. I mean are people using multiple flavors to create a recipe or just using the flavorings straight? any insight or help you have is appreciated

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 19th, 2012, 1:21 pm

MorpheusPA wrote: As far as I'm concerned, anything that reduces the harm is a good thing.
Big amen to this. That's the main reason I'm supportive of him having an analog if he really wants one - he's making a positive health change, and shouldn't feel like he has to suffer unnecessarily for it. Even if he continues to smoke regular cigarettes, it'll be less than he was before. I'm happy he's made the decision at all, so in my opinion whatever he needs to do for this to feel "okay" is perfectly fine!
MorpheusPA wrote: Probably longer than that if he's a light smoker (which he is, under a pack a day). I rip through 5 ml a day, but I'm a heavy vaper coming off a heavy smoking habit. Mom goes through about 30 low-capacity cartos a week, or about 15-20 ml, or 2-3 ml per day. She was at about Nick's level.
Good to know. Glad to hear it can stretch a little farther than we'd thought.
MorpheusPA wrote: If he find a flavor distasteful, put it to the side for about 2 weeks out of sunlight and try it again. Some flavors benefit from a bit of steeping and lose the rough edges, becoming smoother and very nice.
Most require at least a week. Some require a month. Companies usually make to order or have a small supply on-hand, and don't pre-steep.
This sounds like a very, very valuable tip - particularly since he's drawn toward the traditional tobacco flavors at this point. Not that I have any experience, but it seems logical to me that those might be a bit rough right out of the gate.
MorpheusPA wrote: Lucky! The closest B&M store to me is twenty miles. All things considered, it's cheaper to order it.

Prices do tend to be a bit higher, but you're not paying shipping. It's also nice to support a local company if possible! Some stores allow you to test a flavor (they'll sell you an atomizer to drip onto and let you sample whatever you like). You get to keep the atomizer you bought, of course, for future testing or use at home if you like (some people like to direct atty drip for better flavor and hit, I find it annoying).
I'm pretty convinced that Columbus has everything, so it doesn't surprise me in the least that there are shops downtown that have liquid and other supplies. It does shock me a little that the small community just north of my suburb has a tobacco shop that carries it, since I've always gotten the impression that they wouldn't want none of that sinful stuff in their neckathawoods (or at least, not on display in the form of a shop dedicated to it). This is one of those times where I'm perfectly happy to be proven wrong - I do agree, I always like to buy local when I can.

That's really cool that some places let you try flavors. I'd be willing to bet the bigger store downtown would be one of those stores; gonna cross my fingers for Nick that the one near my house is as well. How very convenient that would be.

(edited for quote issues)

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 19th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Plus I'm still trying to figure out the flavorings too. I mean are people using multiple flavors to create a recipe or just using the flavorings straight? any insight or help you have is appreciated
I inverted the questions as the easy one can go up top. Some follow a recipe, some like pure flavors. I've done both.

My recipe is 5% menthol, 1% cinnamon, 0.5% milk chocolate. On the surface, that's not obviously viable since menthol is strong, chocolate very weak. When you realize that I was going for a menthol with a bit of a tone to it, it makes sense.

The easiest way to start is to create 10 ml sample sizes of your flavors pure, and try test-mixing them together as you fill your tank (or carto or atty). See what combinations you like. 10% is correct for most flavorings, but some are too strong and others too weak at that level.
JC Paint Workz wrote:Morph I'm needing help with DIY juices. I'm thinking about putting a order in with Wizard Labs and I'm still new to DIY ( i havnt done it at all) I'm trying to figure out everything. I was thinking of buying the 100mg nicotine largest size available and then buying the largest size of PG & VG then flavorings. I'm lost when it comes to how to dilute the nic base and what it brings it to if i go say 70pg/30vg etc. I've seen a couple calculators out there but starting out its all confusing.
The math's not terribly bad with 100 mg/ml liquid, so that helps. WEAR GLOVES WHEN MIXING.

Let's say you want 18 mg/ml flavored liquid at the end of things, 70/30. For argument's sake, we'll say that your nic liquid is PG (others are available).

To make the math easy, you're making exactly 100 ml (yeah, right, I'm almost always making 60 or 120, but close enough).

So...
** 18 ml of the 100 mg/ml nic liquid will give you 18 mg/ml liquid at the end. (18 ml * 100 ml/ 100 mg/ml = 18 mg/ml)

For any given strength, the number of ml to use (N) equals ml/ml desired times (ml of final mix / mg/ml of base solution). In this case, N = 18 mg/ml * (100 ml/ 100 mg/ml)

** 30 ml of VG will give you 30% VG in the final solution (30/100).

For any dilution, N = amount of VG * ml of final. In this case, N = 0.30 * 100 = 30 ml.

That's a total of 48 ml, just about half the mass. The rest will be flavoring and pure PG.

Flavoring is odd. I like it moderate, so my total is about 6.5% (menthol is strong to begin with). Most flavors will be about 10% for moderate flavoring. You can usually look that up at the forum.

** So for flavoring, 0.1 * total ml = amount of flavoring total, or 10 ml.

** The rest of it is PG. For the above, you've now used a total of 58 ml and want to make 100, so you'd use 42 ml of PG to finish it off.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 19th, 2012, 4:28 pm

and I thought calculating Tenacity was a pain lol you have a calculator you prefer or you just make a spreadsheet for your own use?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 19th, 2012, 4:30 pm

NiciPicki wrote:
MorpheusPA wrote: As far as I'm concerned, anything that reduces the harm is a good thing.
Big amen to this. That's the main reason I'm supportive of him having an analog if he really wants one - he's making a positive health change, and shouldn't feel like he has to suffer unnecessarily for it. Even if he continues to smoke regular cigarettes, it'll be less than he was before. I'm happy he's made the decision at all, so in my opinion whatever he needs to do for this to feel "okay" is perfectly fine!
Yeah, but see, you're sensible. :-)

Eventually most people put the cigs down and walk away. The divorce is final and you don't have any emotional attachment to them any longer. You're now seeing your vape and very happy in your new, although different, relationship.

You and your cigarettes have grown apart. The relationship was, let's face it, toxic. You're better apart.

That's not to say you don't occasionally miss them and can't visit every now and again if you have to. But getting remarried? No thanks.
Good to know. Glad to hear it can stretch a little farther than we'd thought.
It sounds like it. Eventually, he may want to find a bulk supplier (maybe even one of your local ones) who has liquids fairly cheap in large amounts. I keep 125 ml of Mom's on hand at a time, and make mine in batches of 200-300 ml at a time.
This sounds like a very, very valuable tip - particularly since he's drawn toward the traditional tobacco flavors at this point. Not that I have any experience, but it seems logical to me that those might be a bit rough right out of the gate.
Any complex flavor with subtle overtones--like tobacco--will require a bit more steeping than something like a pure menthol, which is usable almost immediately.

One big tipoff is if he thinks he's vaping a particularly nasty perfume, it needs steeping. I've had a few of those, and they steep very nicely, lose the perfume flavor, and settle down.

Sometimes a bad flavor is just a bad flavor, of course, but they're worth a second try.

His tastes are going to change over the first month or two as well. What's great day 1 isn't necessarily going to be great on day 30. Right now, his taste buds are coated in tar.
I'm pretty convinced that Columbus has everything, so it doesn't surprise me in the least that there are shops downtown that have liquid and other supplies. It does shock me a little that the small community just north of my suburb has a tobacco shop that carries it, since I've always gotten the impression that they wouldn't want none of that sinful stuff in their neckathawoods (or at least, not on display in the form of a shop dedicated to it). This is one of those times where I'm perfectly happy to be proven wrong - I do agree, I always like to buy local when I can.
Tobacco, like many things, is historic enough that the shop may have been the current proprietor's grandfather's place. :-)

We have several tobacconists in town, but none of them carry vaping supplies or liquids.
That's really cool that some places let you try flavors. I'd be willing to bet the bigger store downtown would be one of those stores; gonna cross my fingers for Nick that the one near my house is as well. How very convenient that would be.
Some do, some don't, but it would make sense that they would if they want business. A couple drops of this liquid or that costs very little, and if it ends up selling a bottle of the stuff it's a win. And the customer only has to buy one atty if they use it for testing and otherwise ignore it. An atty should last through days of constant use.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 19th, 2012, 4:31 pm

JC Paint Workz wrote:and I thought calculating Tenacity was a pain lol you have a calculator you prefer or you just make a spreadsheet for your own use?
(blush) I mostly do it in my head or on a scrap of paper, writing everything down as I add it so I don't double-do it.

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 24th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Nick and I just shared a high five!

His Spinner came in yesterday and we spent last night trying to figure out how the heck to fill the cartomizers. The first one we thought we filled, we apparently hadn't - he was getting no vapor and just tasted burnt stuff. Oops. So we kept adding drops and he eventually got some vapor, but it was still a fairly gross experience. So the next one we filled, I put in a bunch of drops, tied a string to it and used some centrifugal force to move the drops down the cartomizer (saw this online somewhere - this really helped with the bone-dry cartomizers at first), then repeated the process. I put in more drops than seemed possible, but we never saw any pooling or anything. Even with that first fill attempt being kinda gross, he still didn't want a full cigarette for his last one of the night.

Anyway, the reason why we high-fived: We let the cartomizer I filled sit overnight and he took a puff this morning and loved it. He's using the Alien Visions Flue-Cured at the lowest voltage and said it's great and that this is definitely going to work. I rather enjoy that I can't smell it at all. Score!

Thanks again for all your help, guys. Now comes the fun part of getting him some different liquids and trying out some new flavors. :D

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 24th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Another quick note - we filled another with the Alien Visions chocolate mint and he likes that one a lot as well. I tried it too actually, and it is quite nice. I could only handle a teeny bit of the vapor, of course, even on the lowest voltage setting (I can't even handle when hookah gets a little harsh), but I could tell it was pretty good!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 24th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Yeah, there's a learning curve with the cartos. Roughly, 1 ml will fill a blank, 0.5 to 0.7 will refill one that's been filled before. Blow through it so you don't get a mouth full of juice and swab off the end with a tissue or something.

It's best to let them sit for about 20 minutes at minimum to let the liquid move through.

He's happy at 3.3 volts? I'm amazed; that's only about 4.4 watts (voltage squared, divide that number by the resistance which is about 2.4 on those).

I tend to sit at a minimum of 3.6 volts (5.4 watts) and go as high as 4.3 or so sometimes (7.7 watts). But whatever makes him happy is great. Just don't be afraid to turn it up if he needs to.

JC Paint Workz

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 24th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Yea have him slowly work it up till he gets a burnt taste then back it down a few clicks then have him try it for a few draws. Voltage can change flavors too. Not really change just enhance them. So find your sweet spot and I tend to stick there buy every carto or juice will generally have its own sweet spot

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image