Anybody Vape?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Dave76
Grass Type: Tif419 - P77
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Anybody Vape?

Post by Dave76 » November 25th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Morph, thanks for this thread and the tutorial for DIY! I was thinking about DIY yesterday and started to check it out at ECF. Maybe it was the fact that I was on vacation sitting in the Luxor in Vegas but my head started spinning when I started looking around ECF. You explained it nicely in one relatively easy to read post. I say "relatively" only because reading type written math formulas is always a little tricky.

I started vaping on Oct 7 and completely quit smoking within 3 days. From that standpoint, I feel lucky as it seems that many people have more trouble dropping the cigs. I feel a little unlucky in that I just don't "get" vaping. While I don't dislike it, I see vaping as more of a "medicine" rather than an enjoyable hobby. Vaping has replaced smoking on my list of things to quit someday. I feel a little left out at ECF when I just can't get excited about vaping.

All in all, I'm glad I found vaping. I've replaced one habit with another but the harm reduction is worth it. Since it's not a hobby for me, I'm already at the break even point as I have no desire to buy every new gadget. Vaping equipment is rapidly evolving. I'll patiently wait for the next big breakthrough before I purchase more equipment. I am eagerly awaiting the "fiddle free" device that works out of the box every time and works the same way every time.

While my Vivi Nova/Twist isn't too bad with fiddling, it's still much more finicky than pulling the next smoke out of the pack and lighting up. Also, you can buy smokes anywhere. On my trip to Vegas, I had to be sure to pack everything and a back-up for everything. While that's not a huge deal, it's still more "fiddling" than taking along a couple of packs of smokes knowing that I could buy more at any time. I did run across a few street vendors in Vegas selling a clearo/stick battery combination for a mere $250. After showing them my $40 set-up, I was able to negotiate price with them and got one of them down to $80. So, in a real pinch, I could have continued vaping if I had forgotten to pack something but it would have been more expensive and required some price haggling.

I realize that I'm still somewhat of an early adopter of vaping. If the FDA will leave us alone, I have no doubt that vaping will become much more main stream and a lot of my issues with vaping will disappear like a cloud of vapor.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » November 25th, 2012, 3:43 pm

Dave76 wrote:Morph, thanks for this thread and the tutorial for DIY! I was thinking about DIY yesterday and started to check it out at ECF. Maybe it was the fact that I was on vacation sitting in the Luxor in Vegas but my head started spinning when I started looking around ECF. You explained it nicely in one relatively easy to read post. I say "relatively" only because reading type written math formulas is always a little tricky.
You're welcome! That's the boil down of all the posts on ECF, which I though over-complicated the whole thing. It's just a dilution, we're not reacting anything.
I started vaping on Oct 7 and completely quit smoking within 3 days. From that standpoint, I feel lucky as it seems that many people have more trouble dropping the cigs. I feel a little unlucky in that I just don't "get" vaping. While I don't dislike it, I see vaping as more of a "medicine" rather than an enjoyable hobby. Vaping has replaced smoking on my list of things to quit someday. I feel a little left out at ECF when I just can't get excited about vaping.
In truth, I look at this as a smoking substitute, not a new hobby. Just a sub that's a lot healthier for me comparatively.

I don't feel any need to buy all the new cool gear either. I'm happy with the Volt X2 and Vision Spinner units and the cleartos.
All in all, I'm glad I found vaping. I've replaced one habit with another but the harm reduction is worth it. Since it's not a hobby for me, I'm already at the break even point as I have no desire to buy every new gadget.
Ditto. Once I had what I needed, the savings started to add up. The current break-even day was October 15th, although that'll move as I need new DIY supplies. Which won't be soon, except maybe a $5 packet of pure menthol crystals.
Vaping equipment is rapidly evolving. I'll patiently wait for the next big breakthrough before I purchase more equipment. I am eagerly awaiting the "fiddle free" device that works out of the box every time and works the same way every time.
Variable wattage is one thing that interests me, as doing the V^2/R math in one's head is a bit of a trial (I know my sweet spot is always between 5.5 and 7.5 watts, but reversing the math for the resistance I'm using is a pain).
While my Vivi Nova/Twist isn't too bad with fiddling, it's still much more finicky than pulling the next smoke out of the pack and lighting up.
True that. I find my cleartos to be minimal fiddling, and the Spinner is no-fiddle. But one doesn't have to refill or charge packs of cigs. :-) I find I'm a stickler about keeping myself close to 100% charged at all times--Sandy drove that lesson home.
that I could buy more at any time. I did run across a few street vendors in Vegas selling a clearo/stick battery combination for a mere $250. After showing them my $40 set-up, I was able to negotiate price with them and got one of them down to $80.
What a deal! :-)
I realize that I'm still somewhat of an early adopter of vaping. If the FDA will leave us alone, I have no doubt that vaping will become much more main stream and a lot of my issues with vaping will disappear like a cloud of vapor.
Yeah, the kinks are far less than they were a year ago according to reports, and the industry is just about to take off.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 25th, 2012, 3:46 pm

Four more converted! Over Thanksgiving, I took my vape along (several devices, plus a spare carto that I tossed when I got home).

Three cousins are ordering these, and the fourth is the husband of a cousin. One had already left a message on the answering machine by the time I got home asking about liquids--and sent the order while we were talking. One set up time with me on Friday afternoon to get together and order.

The one that ordered that night said at dinner, "But I don't smell like cigarettes, do I?" The chorus came back, "Yes, you do."

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » November 25th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Congrats on the conversions! Be sure and post pics of that brand new toaster oven you just won.

You know, I'm an electrical engineer so Ohm's law doesn't scare me. Even so, I don't find myself doing any calculations. Just like a dimmer switch on a light bulb, I just turn the knob until the vape is right. Now that I've settled on the 2.4 ohm head as my standard, I don't even turn the knobs except before/after dry burning. For that reason, VW doesn't really interest me. I can see how it would help if I used a lot of different heads but, with 4 identical Vivi Novas, it makes no sense to me. Like I said, though, I'm not one to chase the latest and greatest equipment.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 25th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Dave76 wrote:Congrats on the conversions! Be sure and post pics of that brand new toaster oven you just won.
I'm thinking I'm going to wait and hold out for the good one that knows when the bread is low and orders it for you. Christmas is, after all, coming up and I'll be able to convert several others.
You know, I'm an electrical engineer so Ohm's law doesn't scare me. Even so, I don't find myself doing any calculations. Just like a dimmer switch on a light bulb, I just turn the knob until the vape is right. Now that I've settled on the 2.4 ohm head as my standard, I don't even turn the knobs except before/after dry burning.
True, and you do learn where the sweet spot is with or without the math. Lately I find myself turning down the voltage for some reason, and I'm usually hovering around 3.8. I still spike higher, but 4.3 seems harsh now. I'm not sick, I feel fine, so it's got to be changing habit or returning sense of taste.

I guess that means it's time to nudge the nicotine levels down a hair. Maybe I'll do a test run at 20 mg/ml, down 9%.
For that reason, VW doesn't really interest me. I can see how it would help if I used a lot of different heads but, with 4 identical Vivi Novas, it makes no sense to me. Like I said, though, I'm not one to chase the latest and greatest equipment.
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I knew what it was going to take to quit the analogs, and it was going to have to be a pretty hard hitter. The Spinner fit the bill beautifully, although with the recent drop in voltage the Volt X2 is coming back into play--it's 3.6 moderated, close enough to my preference that I don't really notice much.

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » November 25th, 2012, 4:38 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:I guess that means it's time to nudge the nicotine levels down a hair. Maybe I'll do a test run at 20 mg/ml, down 9%.
I started with 24 mg and the hardest part for me was the first cig in the morning. After a couple of weeks, I got some 17 mg and found that it worked well as an afternoon vape. I make the switch about noon, adding some 17 to the tank along with whatever 24 is left in the tank.

If any 17 mg is left in the tank at night, I've started vaping it first thing in the morning. It works Ok for me some days, other days, not so well. I'm letting my supply of 24 mg dwindle. I'm considering moving to 17 as my all day vape but I'll keep the 24 around for a while just in case. My ultimate goal, of course, is 0 mg but I'm in no big hurry to get there. If it happens, it happens. I don't plan to let myself suffer through cravings. I know I'm not supposed to call this NRT as it's not FDA approved for that, but, darn it, that's what I'm doing. Just like I'd do with the patches, if they actually worked.

NiciPicki
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Award, Moonbeam, Prosperity

Post by NiciPicki » November 25th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Congrats on all your converts!

Nick has only had one analog today! I think it was the first of the day. The rest of the day, he's just been picking up his Spinner for a puff or two when he passes by it. At one point he was getting a little cranky for a cigarette, but a little extra vape did the trick.

We're wondering if maybe the 18 mg nic is a little too high for him. Most times he has picked it up, he's getting a buzz after just a couple of draws, and a frontal headache shortly thereafter. It seems to dissipate quickly, though.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 25th, 2012, 9:13 pm

NiciPicki wrote:Congrats on all your converts!
I'm like the Borg, you will be assimilated.
Nick has only had one analog today! I think it was the first of the day. The rest of the day, he's just been picking up his Spinner for a puff or two when he passes by it. At one point he was getting a little cranky for a cigarette, but a little extra vape did the trick.
Good!
We're wondering if maybe the 18 mg nic is a little too high for him. Most times he has picked it up, he's getting a buzz after just a couple of draws, and a frontal headache shortly thereafter. It seems to dissipate quickly, though.
Could be, but it depends on how he wants to play it. If he wants to hit and walk away, the higher level would be fine. If he'd rather have longer sessions or (as I do) chain-vape, a lower level of nicotine would be better for that.

On the next order, he can always get some 12 mg liquid and try it out. If it works, perfect. If not, back to the 18 and save the 12 for later.

Everybody's response differs a bit. I threw myself into an OD occasionally at first, and now tend to shallow inhale. I was also having trouble giving up the other alkaloids, so I was increasing nicotine to try to compensate for that.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 25th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Dave76 wrote:
MorpheusPA wrote:I guess that means it's time to nudge the nicotine levels down a hair. Maybe I'll do a test run at 20 mg/ml, down 9%.
I started with 24 mg and the hardest part for me was the first cig in the morning. After a couple of weeks, I got some 17 mg and found that it worked well as an afternoon vape. I make the switch about noon, adding some 17 to the tank along with whatever 24 is left in the tank.
I could probably vape 36 mg/ml with no problems. :-) In my case, it was waiting for the secondary addiction to break--I used WTAs for a while, but find I've backed off on those to less than a quarter ml per day now.
happens. I don't plan to let myself suffer through cravings. I know I'm not supposed to call this NRT as it's not FDA approved for that, but, darn it, that's what I'm doing. Just like I'd do with the patches, if they actually worked.
My ultimate goal is simply to reduce as much as I can, at a speed that's comfortable. If I end up hitting 12 and striking a plateau for a while, that's not an issue.

Yeah, the patch. Nice idea, too bad it does nothing... :-)

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 26th, 2012, 12:14 am

I suspect (and I think he does too) that he's in the "figuring out a new routine" stage. He's gonna get some lower-nic liquid so that he can have it on-hand just in case, but mostly he's thinking the higher is better for now. We shall see! He's pretty pleased so far. Except for the beginning of a phlegmy sounding cough, of course. Not sure if it's the cold Ohio weather (which his Texan lungs aren't used to) or the start of his lungs clearing already - or maybe a little of both.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 26th, 2012, 2:46 am

NiciPicki wrote:I suspect (and I think he does too) that he's in the "figuring out a new routine" stage.
That lasts longer than you might expect. He didn't start smoking overnight, changing over will take a bit until everything settles.

It's only in the last few weeks that I find I forget "I need a cigarette" and head for "I need a vape."
He's gonna get some lower-nic liquid so that he can have it on-hand just in case, but mostly he's thinking the higher is better for now. We shall see! He's pretty pleased so far.
It never hurts. Worst case, put it aside and use it if/when he wants to start cutting back the nicotine levels. Liquid, stored out of sunlight, is good for about a year. Stored in the fridge...nobody's sure, actually. Probably 2 years is a good guess.
Except for the beginning of a phlegmy sounding cough, of course. Not sure if it's the cold Ohio weather (which his Texan lungs aren't used to) or the start of his lungs clearing already - or maybe a little of both.
PG will break up lung crud like nothing else (or, why we use it in breathing treatments). If it started that fast...I expect he's been smoking for a fairly long time. And assuming it's not just a random cold, it's probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better. On the up side, it's never worse than moderately annoying and doesn't last that long.

JC Paint Workz
Grass Type: 20% Prosperity, 20% Moonlight SLT, 30% Midnight II, 30% Bewitched

Post by JC Paint Workz » November 26th, 2012, 9:19 am

Yea I'm just now starting to get all of the brown tar out of my lungs. I've been hacking it up for about a month now but its practically gone every once in a while I'll get some more but it was nasty and thick stuff too lol

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 26th, 2012, 12:24 pm

I think one thing that is helping the transition is the fact that it's so cold outside. If it was nice out, it'd be easy to just grab a cigarette and head out. He "wants" a cigarette, but then looks outside, and goes, "Well maybe this vape thingie will do the trick." And, presto, it does.

We're gonna try to get to that downtown vape store sometime soon. We went to the tobacco store near my house and it was sketchy as all get-out. As I was checking out with a little bit of hookah tobacco, I asked about e-liquids (we hadn't spotted any) and the guy wordlessly pulled down an unmarked box of dropper bottles from the shelf behind him. Nick politely looked through them, declined, and we moved on. I'm glad he was sharing the same thought I was, since there was no way to communicate "HOLY CRAP DON'T BUY THAT STUFF" without being rude!

I think we're also going fabric shopping soon. I like making things (in general, no real medium of choice) and that includes creating single-purpose type carriers. I have no desire to design actual purses or anything, but I've made high-quality (if I do say so myself) Halloween costume accessory bags in the past (for example: A plush Mario 1-UP mushroom with a Velcro cap that would hide a cell phone, wallet, and another small item or two). Anyway, that rambling does have a point - Nick and I were talking about how it'd be nice to have a little fabric pouch to slip the Spinner and a couple cartos into, instead of just having them rattling around in his jacket pocket. I found some hard cases online, but those are all a lot larger than what we were picturing. Also found a couple fabric cases, but none quite like what we're picturing. Could be a fun little project. I'll let ya know if it ends up happening, and how it turns out! (Suggestions welcome!)

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 26th, 2012, 1:24 pm

NiciPicki wrote:I think one thing that is helping the transition is the fact that it's so cold outside. If it was nice out, it'd be easy to just grab a cigarette and head out. He "wants" a cigarette, but then looks outside, and goes, "Well maybe this vape thingie will do the trick." And, presto, it does.
Our self-programming is amazing. This is different, therefore it won't cancel our wants. And yet it does. :-) Once the programming changes to wanting to vape instead of wanting a cigarette, the battle is at least mostly over.

Time was, I went about twenty minutes without wanting a cigarette instead of my vape. Now it's hours or sometimes days. And that want never got up to "need," like it does when you quit nicotine entirely.
We're gonna try to get to that downtown vape store sometime soon. We went to the tobacco store near my house and it was sketchy as all get-out.
Those places can sometimes be fun, but for something I'm inhaling, I think not.
As I was checking out with a little bit of hookah tobacco, I asked about e-liquids (we hadn't spotted any) and the guy wordlessly pulled down an unmarked box of dropper bottles from the shelf behind him. Nick politely looked through them, declined, and we moved on. I'm glad he was sharing the same thought I was, since there was no way to communicate "HOLY CRAP DON'T BUY THAT STUFF" without being rude!
Unmarked? Um, what ingredients and what nic strength? Where was it made? Inquiring minds want to know.

I am, perhaps, a bit of a stickler on the ingredients used.
I think we're also going fabric shopping soon. I like making things (in general, no real medium of choice) and that includes creating single-purpose type carriers. I have no desire to design actual purses or anything, but I've made high-quality (if I do say so myself) Halloween costume accessory bags in the past (for example: A plush Mario 1-UP mushroom with a Velcro cap that would hide a cell phone, wallet, and another small item or two). Anyway, that rambling does have a point - Nick and I were talking about how it'd be nice to have a little fabric pouch to slip the Spinner and a couple cartos into, instead of just having them rattling around in his jacket pocket. I found some hard cases online, but those are all a lot larger than what we were picturing. Also found a couple fabric cases, but none quite like what we're picturing. Could be a fun little project. I'll let ya know if it ends up happening, and how it turns out! (Suggestions welcome!)
I was personally thinking a bandolier would be amusing; instead of bullets, the cartos fit into it. :-) They'll still rattle in a bag, so you'd almost need fabric loops to hold them if that's a worry.

Me, I just rattle.

A lot of those hard cases are more for women to put in their purses. If they're like my mom you could hide an entire line of digestive products and full rain gear at the bottom of their purses and still have room left over for the wallet and makeup.

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 26th, 2012, 2:03 pm

MorpheusPA wrote: Unmarked? Um, what ingredients and what nic strength? Where was it made? Inquiring minds want to know.

I am, perhaps, a bit of a stickler on the ingredients used.
Inside the box was a smaller box that I guess was manufacturer's packaging. It said, in very large letters, "MADE IN CHINA." Then, in smaller letters underneath (something to this effect), "Warning: Contains high levels of nicotine (18 mg)." Nothing else. The droppers themselves had the flavor names written on them in ballpoint pen. Sketchy.
MorpheusPA wrote: I was personally thinking a bandolier would be amusing; instead of bullets, the cartos fit into it. :-) They'll still rattle in a bag, so you'd almost need fabric loops to hold them if that's a worry.

Me, I just rattle.

A lot of those hard cases are more for women to put in their purses. If they're like my mom you could hide an entire line of digestive products and full rain gear at the bottom of their purses and still have room left over for the wallet and makeup.
A bandolier of cartos! I'll have to pitch that one to Nick. :D

I was picturing something with a Spinner-sized sleeve and a few carto-sized sleeves.

Those hard cases would definitely not fit in my purse. As an aside: My mom was astounded as she watched me purse-shop this weekend (I'd been carrying the same one for almost 2 years and it was getting quite ratty) - my main requirements was that it could fit my Canon G12 camera (a bit large for a point-and-shoot) in a dedicated pouch. Bonus points if there was a good place for my knife and fountain pen. Other than carrying those things, I don't want anything much larger; otherwise, it becomes the catch-all abyss that you described above. So, I ran around Kohl's stuffing my camera into various purses that caught my eye until I finally found one that fit my requirements for what it would carry, and fit my mom's requirements for not being "that ratty old thing." Hey, I know what I want out of a product.

I'm sure the cartos and vape are perfectly fine rattling around in most pockets, but Nick also has a habit of losing the smaller items out of his. I could see a stray carto rolling out and being lost forever in the black hole under the car seat. He's also a bit of a stickler for trying to keep things pristine (you should see the lengths he goes to for sunglasses), so having something to protect his pretty blue Spinner appeals to him. Plus I enjoy creating custom dedicated-purpose items. Match made in heaven. :D

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 26th, 2012, 3:55 pm

NiciPicki wrote: Inside the box was a smaller box that I guess was manufacturer's packaging. It said, in very large letters, "MADE IN CHINA." Then, in smaller letters underneath (something to this effect), "Warning: Contains high levels of nicotine (18 mg)." Nothing else. The droppers themselves had the flavor names written on them in ballpoint pen. Sketchy.
Very. Although we should point out that my home-made flavors also have the flavor and strength written on them in ballpoint. However, in this particular instance I know exactly what's in them and how it was made and where it was made.
A bandolier of cartos! I'll have to pitch that one to Nick. :D
Go ahead. Make my vape.
I was picturing something with a Spinner-sized sleeve and a few carto-sized sleeves.
That would work! Optionally, a sleeve to hold up to a 10 ml bottle of liquid would be nice. That way, if he's traveling he can take 10 ml along with him for refills.
Those hard cases would definitely not fit in my purse. As an aside: My mom was astounded as she watched me purse-shop this weekend (I'd been carrying the same one for almost 2 years and it was getting quite ratty)
Are you SURE you're female? My mother has a purse for every outfit, just as she has shoes for every outfit. I have two pairs of shoes--work and garden.
- my main requirements was that it could fit my Canon G12 camera (a bit large for a point-and-shoot) in a dedicated pouch. Bonus points if there was a good place for my knife and fountain pen.
Bonus points for using a fountain pen. I love mine.
Other than carrying those things, I don't want anything much larger; otherwise, it becomes the catch-all abyss that you described above. So, I ran around Kohl's stuffing my camera into various purses that caught my eye until I finally found one that fit my requirements for what it would carry, and fit my mom's requirements for not being "that ratty old thing." Hey, I know what I want out of a product.
That you do. Gentlemen stuff their pockets, sometimes to nearly the breaking point. It does mean we have to limit what we carry, though...
I'm sure the cartos and vape are perfectly fine rattling around in most pockets, but Nick also has a habit of losing the smaller items out of his. I could see a stray carto rolling out and being lost forever in the black hole under the car seat. He's also a bit of a stickler for trying to keep things pristine (you should see the lengths he goes to for sunglasses), so having something to protect his pretty blue Spinner appeals to him. Plus I enjoy creating custom dedicated-purpose items. Match made in heaven. :D
Gotcha. Yes, the satin surface of the Spinner will scratch if he's not careful (I think it's either aluminum or chrome), and eventually they can get really kicked up. The steel end of the cartos would accelerate the scratching in a pocket.

Looking closely at the Volt I'm currently using, it's got a few little nicks on it already. Unlike Nick, if it's working, I'm thrilled.

I'm much more protective of my glasses, though. They're either on my nose or in a padded case to avoid scratches.

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 27th, 2012, 11:07 am

MorpheusPA wrote: Are you SURE you're female?
*checks* Yup. :good:
MorpheusPA wrote: Bonus points for using a fountain pen. I love mine.
It's a recent acquisition. I am a fan. I believe it is the beginning of a long, expensive love affair.
MorpheusPA wrote:Yes, the satin surface of the Spinner will scratch if he's not careful (I think it's either aluminum or chrome), and eventually they can get really kicked up. The steel end of the cartos would accelerate the scratching in a pocket.

Looking closely at the Volt I'm currently using, it's got a few little nicks on it already. Unlike Nick, if it's working, I'm thrilled.
He did mention last night that his Spinner already has a few fine scratches on it. I've come up with a few other ideas for everyday travel packs and I hope to get working on a prototype soon. We visited the downtown vape store last night, and it seemed like the type of place that may be interested in selling them if I do this right.

That store was awesome. It's called the AltSmoke Lounge, and when we walked in, there were a bunch of people sitting around on couches and stools, vaping and chit-chatting and surfing the internet. It was like a cleaner, better-lit, floor-cushion-less hookah bar. The guy working behind the counter, Demetry (who I presume may be the owner of that location - there are two locations, and I think the other is the original), was really cool. We basically just walked in and were like, "He just started vaping, he has this Spinner thingy and really likes it, help us deck it out."

As he helped us, several more people came and went (they knew what they wanted and needed less help). Demetry used to smoke the same cigarettes as Nick, so he pulled out a bunch of flavors for Nick to try, which ended up only being limited by Nick getting lightheaded - he liked most of the ones that were recommended. No lie, I'll admit to a twinge of jealousy as I watched him try all the flavors (but I'm of course not gonna try to get myself addicted to nicotine). We walked out with an eGo passthrough (510, 1000 mAh), a couple bottles of liquid (12 mg RY4 and Cinnabun), and a small tank, which he taught us how to fill before we left. Nick really likes that there is less guesswork involved with the tank, so I expect he'll end up back there at some point soon to buy a couple more to have on-hand. He really wants a tankful of the 18 mg Flue-Cured for when his cravings are the strongest.

So far, so good on the transition. I think he had his morning cigarette yesterday, but it looks like he's really fighting it today. He was vaping pretty steadily in the car on the way to my work this morning (he chauffeurs me around in my car when he's here so that he's not trapped at my house during the day), and said it seemed to be working. Time will tell, and I know he'll get there eventually. It's not a race.

He also set a goal/reward for when he is sure that he's made the switch. He really likes watches, and his current Suunto watch band reeks of stale cigarette smoke due to that being his smoking hand. He's been wanting this snazzy new blue band for his watch for a while, but it's kind of expensive so he has been reluctant to pull the trigger. So, fresh new watch band for him when he feels ready to throw that last pack away. :D

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 27th, 2012, 1:25 pm

NiciPicki wrote:
MorpheusPA wrote: Are you SURE you're female?
*checks* Yup. :good:
The fact that you had to check calls the initial statement back for another go-around. :-)
MorpheusPA wrote: Bonus points for using a fountain pen. I love mine.
It's a recent acquisition. I am a fan. I believe it is the beginning of a long, expensive love affair.
Yeah, it can be. Mine started when I inherited my grandfather's. It sort of spiraled from there... It almost makes me wish I hand-wrote more.
He did mention last night that his Spinner already has a few fine scratches on it. I've come up with a few other ideas for everyday travel packs and I hope to get working on a prototype soon. We visited the downtown vape store last night, and it seemed like the type of place that may be interested in selling them if I do this right.
Great! So far, my Spinners are fairly pristine, although I did have to wash mud off my black one. I was using it outside, muddy fingers, and bingo.
We basically just walked in and were like, "He just started vaping, he has this Spinner thingy and really likes it, help us deck it out."
Perfect! I'm willing to help, but a considerable distance away and not owning a shop. :-) I don't have all the cool-kids stuff.
As he helped us, several more people came and went (they knew what they wanted and needed less help). Demetry used to smoke the same cigarettes as Nick, so he pulled out a bunch of flavors for Nick to try, which ended up only being limited by Nick getting lightheaded - he liked most of the ones that were recommended.
So you're telling me he now has a more than adequate supply of liquids? :-)
No lie, I'll admit to a twinge of jealousy as I watched him try all the flavors (but I'm of course not gonna try to get myself addicted to nicotine).
Almost all liquids are made with a 0 nicotine version (nic-free, in other words). That having been said, breathing air is, of course, healthier.

In your case, though, if you substituted time with Mr. Hookah for this, you'd still be at reduced harm. And of course vaping has cookie flavors. :-)

There's actually an idea floating out there that this will be used to assist in dieting. You get the flavor without the calories, so it may help dieters reduce their food intake. None of the vapers online are too keen on it since the smart thing to do would be to eat less and exercise more rather than breathe propylene glycol.
We walked out with an eGo passthrough (510, 1000 mAh), a couple bottles of liquid (12 mg RY4 and Cinnabun), and a small tank, which he taught us how to fill before we left.
If Nick's getting stoned off 12 mg/ml, he's really intolerant of nicotine comparatively. That's surprising, but not unheard-of.

Most mid-range to heavy smokers (he's mid-range) have to step up, or why I started him off at 18 mg/ml. Sorry about that!

On the up side, if you pick up some USP grade (pharmaceutical grade) propylene glycol at the pharmacy, you can dilute the 18 down to 12. Just mix 2 ml of the 18 liquid with 1 ml of propylene glycol (or any proportion like that, 2:1) and it'll drop the 18 to 12.
Nick really likes that there is less guesswork involved with the tank, so I expect he'll end up back there at some point soon to buy a couple more to have on-hand. He really wants a tankful of the 18 mg Flue-Cured for when his cravings are the strongest.
Or just leave some cartos filled with the 18 and tap off those. For a while, I had a stronger mix in a separate set of cleartos. I'm starting not to need that any longer.
So far, so good on the transition. I think he had his morning cigarette yesterday, but it looks like he's really fighting it today. He was vaping pretty steadily in the car on the way to my work this morning (he chauffeurs me around in my car when he's here so that he's not trapped at my house during the day), and said it seemed to be working. Time will tell, and I know he'll get there eventually. It's not a race.
Exactly, it's not a race. If he's to the point where he's about to kill somebody, have a cig--they get rarer and taste worse and finally just stop.
He also set a goal/reward for when he is sure that he's made the switch. He really likes watches, and his current Suunto watch band reeks of stale cigarette smoke due to that being his smoking hand. He's been wanting this snazzy new blue band for his watch for a while, but it's kind of expensive so he has been reluctant to pull the trigger. So, fresh new watch band for him when he feels ready to throw that last pack away. :D
Perfect again! Although I didn't choose one, I do suddenly notice that my budget is a heck of a lot more loose.

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 27th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Oh, no worries on the nic level recommendation. It was certainly a good starting point. He also likes having it around for when he gets a more intense craving. A big reason he went with a lower level on these new flavors is that the habit he's forming with it isn't based around "sessions" like with a cigarette (if he was using it "a cigarette at a time," the 18 would probably be correct). He sets the vape down, walks by it a little while later and has a few puffs, sets it back down again.... He seems to want to be vaping more than he "needs" to from a nicotine-level standpoint, which ends in a nicotine buzz and slightly frustrated frontal-headache (because he wants to keep vaping). So, the answer seems to be to back off the nicotine level so that he can stand to enjoy a few more puffs. He's also getting the hang of taking shallower breaths.

As for the hookah thing, I kinda had to chuckle to myself in a dark-humor sort of way over our shopping trip last night. We went from the vape shop for Nick, down the street to the hookah shop for me, and I had the sudden realization that I'm going to be the one with the blacker lungs! To be fair, we set up the hookah MAYBE once a week (probably more like once every 2 weeks or so), and I've never smoked it alone. The only reason we were going after more tobacco is because we were sick of the only flavor I had at my house, and the flavors we had chosen at the sketchy shop turned out to be truly heinous. It was a brand I'd used before, but I must have picked out the utterly wrong flavors this time. It tasted like sickly sweet fruit syrup and was giving both of us a sugar-rush-type head- and stomachache. Wanting to give it a chance, we sat there eating saltines and drinking pale ale in an attempt to balance the flavor. Yeahhhh.... probably not worth it!

Thought did occur to me that I could vape instead of smoking hookah (though it would lack that pleasant "hookah head" experience), but with my rather addictive personality, I would probably manage to get hooked on even 0 nic vaping due to enjoying the movement. :roll: I'm probably better off with my current couple-times-a-month vice, as long as I stick to my rule of never setting it up without having company over. If I find myself beginning to break that rule, or discover that I keep sneaking puffs of Nick's vape, yeah, you betcha I'll just give in and buy one instead of going down that other road. For now, though, it's just way too easy to pick up and enjoy those little gadgets!! (Buuuut that's not to say I won't change my mind later, especially if Nick gets into mixing his own flavors and just has some 0 nic liquid sitting around....)

Probably the most pleasant side effect so far has been his smell. I gave him a peck on the cheek this morning and his beard smelled inexplicably like cotton candy.

The most unpleasant side effect has been when he cleared his throat while we were watching a movie last night and ended up having to sprint to the deck to hock up a loogie.

NiciPicki

Post by NiciPicki » November 27th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Forgot to mention - That's interesting on the diet thing. I'd be interested to see some studies done on the long-term health effects. Not for me personally, as ADHD meds cause my diet to tend more toward the calorie-deficient side anyway, just for pure curiosity's sake. I could see how it might help folks who have the right mindset to let it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image