Can excessive Solar uv radiation affect plants?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Can excessive Solar uv radiation affect plants?

Post by Tony alony » September 6th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Excessive Uv radiation is harmful to humans, lower animals, aquatic life, bacteria, etc., etc.
Does it affect the soil food web at all? Or has the soil food web adapted and no problem could ever exist as long as there is water? What brought this to mind was a study that predicts more Fukushima radioactive contamination will reach California in 2014. This made me think of another man- made disaster with the depletion in ozone layers.
Thanks for any replies.

Tony alony

Re: Can excessive Solar uv radiation affect plants?

Post by Tony alony » September 6th, 2013, 1:05 pm

Found an interesting read for anyone interested , from the NASA Observatory.http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/UVB/

Edited to add: another link from a company which claims to have a solution for excessive uv radiation. http://turfscreen.com/faqs/#1. Is this worthwhile purchase for home lawns? Is there something better?
Thanks.

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » September 7th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Ok, so no answers yet. How about a product from a company that you all know and trust,Bayer?
Here's a link for their product http://www.bayercropscience.com.au/reso ... le9116.pdf

Some blades of grass in my lawn look similar to those shown on the above link. It has been an extremely high uv index in the Houston area all summer. Anyone else ever experience any effects of high uv radiation and turf health issues?

Forrest White
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by Forrest White » September 24th, 2020, 8:38 am

Without a layer of ozone in the stratosphere to protect us from excessive UV-B radiation, life as we know it would not exist. It doesn't affect plants

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » September 24th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Sorry, missed this. Sure--plants can shock when moving outside due to the change in radiation. They'll sunburn unless they have the time to adjust. Some are much more sensitive than others, but they'll adjust over time by generating sufficient pigmentation to absorb and reflect the excessive radiation (not just UV!) to protect the plant.

https://socratic.org/questions/how-does ... osynthesis

"Plants use blue and red" is a misnomer that I hate hearing. They use every human-visible color, but don't use much in the pure green through yellow to yellow-orange spectrum. But they still use about 20% of that. They actually only use about 20% of UVA or less, and 20% or less of near infrared (for the most part). Some plants (winter cabbage, I'm looking at you here...) use far more orange and green than that.

SciShow just had a fascinating video on this and the energy drops associated with clouds and how the harmonics of energy differentials assist in buffering energy production. The best buffer happens if plants spike in red and blue. But also, life isn't perfect and, of course, summers are hot. If plants absorbed everything, they'd rapidly overheat as well...and photosynthesis doesn't work well over 90 degrees. So you can transpire like mad, stop working, or die. The first only works if there's enough water and, over 90 degrees, there frequently isn't.

My parents had a tree that was located at the edge of their property in their last house and received the reflection from a 30' glass window in December, the entire property when it snowed, and was practically in a bowl of other reflected sunlight. That one needed winter protection from light and ultimately didn't do very well.

So far, only in the last case does a shield help all that much.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » September 24th, 2020, 5:47 pm

@morpheuspa, you probably didn't see it because original post is more than 7 years old.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » September 24th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Ah, all I noticed was September seventh.

After 9,381 days, the quarantine isolation is getting to me. I'm building forts out of the toilet paper and canned peas in the basement. Ammunition is running short, but the freezer is full. Human really does taste like pork.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » September 24th, 2020, 6:01 pm

I've read numerous stories in the past five years about coated/reflective windows causing rather significant damage to lawns and plants. It doesn't take a ton of extra sunlight to push lawns/plants over the edge of what they can handle.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 24th, 2020, 11:47 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 6:00 pm
After 9,381 days, the quarantine isolation is getting to me. I'm building forts out of the toilet paper and canned peas in the basement. ...
Wondering if MorpheusPA is really 25.7 years old... ;)

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » September 25th, 2020, 12:32 am

I should make a snide comment, but I'll just say I remember all the shows that Robot Chicken riffs about.