Too Early for the Proactive Biological Regimen?

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Too Early for the Proactive Biological Regimen?

Post by Tony alony » April 11th, 2016, 9:01 pm

Andy, I know that You usually post the announcement on the Proactive Biofungicide Regimen on or around May 15th. Would I be wasting money if I started too early, say next week? That would equate to a month earlier than your May 15th usual announcement.
Thanks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Too Early for the Proactive Biological Regimen?

Post by andy10917 » April 11th, 2016, 9:10 pm

I'll be honest -- I have no idea when the right time to start is for your lawn and your area. I generally post something about "wake up and start getting the ingredients" around April 20th, for northern climes.

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » April 11th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Thanks, Andy. I guess it's time then, for at least starting to stockpile the Serenade & Companion.
Those are still the major Biofungicides for the regimen, right?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 12th, 2016, 7:05 am

At the beginning, Yes. Later, optional components come into play -- the Phosphites, the Silicates, etc. These are particular to the diseases that you may have faced in prior years, or repeatedly.

Dmt

Post by Dmt » April 12th, 2016, 8:26 am

Tony or Andy - Can someone point me to the proactive program? I have been searching and can't find a definitive guide. I live near Tony and conditions seem favorable for fungus right now. I had the start of some fungus issues a few weeks ago after a lot of rain and applied Actinovate + some compost + cornmeal. I'm not sure which one or ones worked, but my yard improved. It would be too expensive to do all of those on a regular basis though, so curious what the regimen looks like.

Thanks
Last edited by Dmt on April 12th, 2016, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » April 12th, 2016, 9:02 am

Last edited by TimmyG on April 12th, 2016, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dmt

Post by Dmt » April 12th, 2016, 9:12 am

Thanks TimmyG!

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » April 12th, 2016, 10:40 am

Off topic a little, but I looked into applying Corn Meal this spring, it was too expensive, but my Tractor supply had cracked corn dirt cheap. I applied and was very happy after 1 week had broken down.... My wife pointed out all the deer (? large rabbit) droppings. I also noticed that my elephant ears had been "munched", fortunately hostas were untouched. Anyway, looks like I wasted time and a few dollars on animal fertilizer.

My basic understanding is that the fungi on the corn outcompetes pathological fungi. If this is the case, would applying Actinovite/Companion/Serenade not negate these benefits?

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » April 12th, 2016, 12:43 pm

There is no way deer or rabbits got all the cracked corn.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 12th, 2016, 1:25 pm

My basic understanding is that the fungi on the corn outcompetes pathological fungi. If this is the case, would applying Actinovite/Companion/Serenade not negate these benefits?
No. You have multiple biological (living) creatures that find pathological fungi very tasty.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » April 12th, 2016, 2:45 pm

No. You have multiple biological (living) creatures that find pathological fungi very tasty.
Thanks.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » April 12th, 2016, 2:53 pm

So your tiny niblets of cracked corn helped add more OM from the consuming quadrapeds. Sounds like a win to me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » April 12th, 2016, 5:56 pm

Dmt wrote:Tony or Andy - Can someone point me to the proactive program? I have been searching and can't find a definitive guide. I live near Tony and conditions seem favorable for fungus right now. I had the start of some fungus issues a few weeks ago after a lot of rain and applied Actinovate + some compost + cornmeal. I'm not sure which one or ones worked, but my yard improved. It would be too expensive to do all of those on a regular basis though, so curious what the regimen looks like.

Thanks
Dmt, here's what I've used within the 3+ years I've been on the forum. Companion Biological Fungicide manufactured by Growth Products, friendly, courteous people to do business with: https://www.SimpleSuccessForPerfectPlan ... _companion Boifungicide.
Another product I alternate withe the above is Seranade manufactured by Bayer:
https://www.bayeradvanced.com/
I am also considering enhancing the two above preventive fungicides with Micro Life's product: http://www.microlifefertilizer.com/prod ... -granular/.
I've had good performance with Seranade & Companion, when I've sprayed regularly to help build immunity to brown patch and leaf spot, etc. Your choice , the products are out there to combat turf diseases. And as Andy so aptly suggests... "On a proactive basis".

Edit: when I checked the post the link for Growth Products didn't work. Try this one: https://www.SimpleSuccessForPerfectPlan ... atalog.asp

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » April 12th, 2016, 6:31 pm

Great post, TimmyG.
Thanks for reminding us of the topic!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 12th, 2016, 9:28 pm

I am planning to re-write the Proactive Program in the next couple of weeks. Even I have trouble finding pieces of it sometimes, and I wrote it.

probasesteal

Post by probasesteal » April 12th, 2016, 9:52 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:So your tiny niblets of cracked corn helped add more OM from the consuming quadrapeds. Sounds like a win to me.

Agreed, glad they left the salad bar alone (hostas and lettuce)

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » April 12th, 2016, 10:40 pm

andy10917 wrote:I am planning to re-write the Proactive Program in the next couple of weeks. Even I have trouble finding pieces of it sometimes, and I wrote it.
Thanks, Andy.We look forward to your update. After nearly 23,000 posts, I can see how you want to give us an update after giving us all your advice on so many topics. An update on this topic will truly be appreciated by us all, and also help the newcomers as well. I appreciate all the times you've answered my questions and taught me where I was misguided on an idea or question.
Thanks for all your words of wisdom.

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by oze » April 20th, 2016, 3:53 pm

andy10917 wrote:At the beginning, Yes. Later, optional components come into play -- the Phosphites, the Silicates, etc. These are particular to the diseases that you may have faced in prior years, or repeatedly.
Andy and all,

We discovered that we bought a house with a major pythium blight infestation in our back yard, which I have since been able to keep mostly in check with Daconil. Since I discovered this site, I have been gradually moving away from chemical fungicides, and this year, have begun the proactive treatment with biofungicides (Serenade for now). I read with great interest your postings with respect to phosphites as a preventative. I've looked around, and found the first two products here: http://utaarmortech.com/products/fertilizers. The closest distributor to me is in HLGs back yard, Advanced Turf Solutions outside of Indianapolis. I've called and left a message to inquire about prices, delivery, etc., and will post those if/when they reply.

Has anyone heard of or used either of these products and can comment on them? Thanks.

EDIT: The "Armortech 28 + Si", which is Potassium Phosphite plus 1%+ Potassium Silicate goes for $100 for a 2 1/2 gallon jug, plus shipping and tax. Yeah, I went for it.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 20th, 2016, 9:18 pm

The $100 price tag can't be evaluated for value without knowing how much it costs "per K" or "per K per season". Then we know what the real cost of use is.

I have been playing with Silicates for 3-4 years now. Silicates can have a real effect on "roll" at a golf course, but they aren't something that will make a big change in a home lawn. There is some (controversial) evidence that Silicates make cell walls stronger and that makes them resist fungal attacks better.

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by oze » April 21st, 2016, 7:43 am

andy10917 wrote:The $100 price tag can't be evaluated for value without knowing how much it costs "per K" or "per K per season". Then we know what the real cost of use is.

I have been playing with Silicates for 3-4 years now. Silicates can have a real effect on "roll" at a golf course, but they aren't something that will make a big change in a home lawn. There is some (controversial) evidence that Silicates make cell walls stronger and that makes them resist fungal attacks better.
According to the on-line label, the application rate is 3-4 ounces/1000 square feet for cool season turf--let's call it 4 ounces. The label further suggests applying every 14 days during summer stress periods, so let's say June, July, August and September around here. Here's what I then calculate with respect to cost per application and cost per K per season:

$100/320oz. = 31.25 cents/ounce.
At 4 ounces/K: $1.25/K
9 applications/season= $11.25/K/season

In my 6,000 square foot case, this comes to $67.50/year. It also means that the 2.5 gallons will almost but not quite get me through 9 years. Even if the value of potassium silicate is questionable, I am still happy to pay this for the potassium phosphite alone.