What Is Your Favorite Hot Suaces

The place to share culinary tips and advice
texasweed

Post by texasweed » November 6th, 2014, 10:07 pm

Well we all know by now Salsa has taken the #1 condiment knocking Ketchup off its throne. Hot sauces have also gained considerble market share in the last 20 years. If you walk into some specialty stores th eofferings are mind numbing makin gone dizzy with all the choices. Some are OK, some are not worth the bottle they come in, and some are excellent. So what are your favorites and why?

Here is my list hot sauces I always have on hand. 3 of then are old as dirt and I bet will top some of your list.

Siracha. No one who does stir -fries would not be caught dead without it. Not only stir fry but good for spicing up soups and stews or anything needing a kick.

Franks. Another staple of mine. No hot wing or BBQ sauce can be without it. Perfect balance of heat and vinegar.

Tobasco Original Red. Another staple must have for wing sauce or authentic Cajun cooking.

Tobasco Chipolte. This one is fairly new in my home I discovered about 5 years ago. IMHO it has knocked Tobasco Original Red down a notch in my kitchen. Perfect for about anything especially chile, stew, meat loaf glaze, BBQ sauce or whatever. Has a fair kick of heat but not blistering. What really stands out is that smoky flavor of Chipolte. Not a chemical tasting smoke, the real deal Northern Mexico Pecan wood smoke. If you have not tired it yet, I suggest you try a bottle and see what you think.

So let's hear your list.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: What Is Your Favorite Hot Suaces

Post by andy10917 » November 6th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Your top three are all in my refrigerator, but the Chipolte is knocked out by "Peppadew Hot Sauce". Peppadew is South African if I remember, and not cheap - but it is a beautiful "steady heat" that is subtle.

In order, mine are:

1. Sriracha
2. Tabasco Original
3. Franks
4. Peppadew Hot

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Habanero

Post by dfw_pilot » November 6th, 2014, 10:41 pm

I personally like on most things:
1) Louisiana Habanero Hot Sauce
2) El Yucateco habanero
3) And Buffalo Wild Wings Blazin for wings.

texasweed

Post by texasweed » November 6th, 2014, 11:36 pm

DFW I assume you know who owns Buffalo Wild Wings right?

dfw_pilot

Columbus, OH

Post by dfw_pilot » November 6th, 2014, 11:45 pm

I lived in Columbus for 10 years, where they opened their first store, but don't know the owners. Now you have me worried!

texasweed

Re: Columbus, OH

Post by texasweed » November 7th, 2014, 12:20 am

dfw_pilot wrote:I lived in Columbus for 10 years, where they opened their first store, but don't know the owners. Now you have me worried!
No worries. I was thinking of Wingstop owned by Rap artist Rick Ross. My bad.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 7th, 2014, 9:55 am

Me?

Pappy's White Lightnin' - I use this for dutch oven ribs and to top pulled pork
Sweet Baby Ray's (because I have a wife and 2 girls that think this is HOT HOT HOT)

And - not really hot sauce - Famous Dave's Spicy Relish

OldGlory
Grass Type: Carl Spackler Hybred: KBG; Featherbed Bent; Northern California Sensemilia

Post by OldGlory » November 7th, 2014, 11:59 am

1. Tabasco
2. Frank's
3 Mae Ploy Sweet chili Sauce - this awesome on grilled chicken

wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America

Post by wis99ski » November 12th, 2014, 10:35 pm

1. Sriracha (replaced ketchup for me as it's not as hot as it used to be 10 years ago)

2. Adoboloco Habanero (well balanced vinegar)

3. Tiger Sauce

4. Cholula

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

dfw_pilot

Dave's Insanity

Post by dfw_pilot » May 31st, 2016, 12:49 am

I've had a goal of wanting to eat Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper sauce on regular things, not just for a stunt. It sits at 650,000 on the Scoville Scale and isn't to be trifled with (Tabasco is 2,500). Until my (lower) insides can handle that, I bought a bottle of Dave's Insanity Ultimate Insanity. It's down around 250,000 on the Scoville scale. I'm slowly adding it to things like eggs and burgers, but I meet my match with it when I put it on tortilla chips and eat it like dip. As I type this, I kinda wonder why I'm even trying . . .

Ware
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Ware » May 31st, 2016, 12:54 am

You lost me at B dubs Blazin above...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yossarian
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Yossarian » June 4th, 2016, 1:01 pm

dfw_pilot I ate three wings slathered in ghost pepper sauce. That was the hottest thing I've ever eaten, and I pride myself on being able to handle the hot stuff. I had a red ring around my mouth after that. As for salsa, I always make my own. It beats the heck out of the store bought stuff.

B

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » June 4th, 2016, 1:23 pm

I've been spending some of my weeks lately in Buffalo NY, home of the Buffalo Wing. An initial question asked of friends and coworkers there is "Anchor or Duffs?". Ate wings lathered in Duff's Hot Sauce until I was ready to barf. I brought home six bottles of sauce.

Someday, I will perform the unhealthiest meal day on Earth -- lunch at Duff's in Buffalo and a Rochester "garbage plate" for dinner.

VT2GW
Grass Type: TTTF (Bullseye, Cochise IV and LS1200) + KBG (Midnight, Everglade, Bewitched, and Diva) | Fall 2016 overseed

Post by VT2GW » October 19th, 2016, 1:50 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:Me?

Pappy's White Lightnin' - I use this for dutch oven ribs and to top pulled pork
Sweet Baby Ray's (because I have a wife and 2 girls that think this is HOT HOT HOT)

And - not really hot sauce - Famous Dave's Spicy Relish
+1 on the Pappy's White Lightnin' for a great BBQ sauce, and the Pappy's Moonshine Madness is a great BBQ sauce with a kick. I've tried most of the Pappy's line of BBQ sauces and they're all great.

http://www.hotsauce.com/SearchResults.a ... Search.y=0

Now for pure heat, the Tropical Pepper Co. Ghost Pepper hot sauce is killer hot...

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/store ... &langId=-1

Abyss
Grass Type: Midnight II and Northstar out back

Post by Abyss » April 22nd, 2017, 3:25 pm

This is my go to hot sauce for tacos, fajitas, etc. it's not overly hot, has a decent little kick with a good flavor.

lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » May 5th, 2017, 7:18 am

1) Cholula - put that ish on EVERYTHING
2) BWW's Spicy Garlic
3) Dave's Ultimate Insanity - for when you really need to clean out your system. This stuff is pretty damn HOT!

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Marinegrunt » May 16th, 2017, 4:22 pm

I use to order Anchor Bar Wing Sauce to make homemade wings. All of my friends thought they were better than any restaurant we have around here. It wasn't anything special I did it was just good sauce. I have never tried Duff's though.

I've always liked Frank's but also like the Tapatio mentioned above. Anymore heartburn gets the best of me so I really have to watch it.

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by rtomek » May 17th, 2017, 4:35 pm

I used to be into trying different hot sauces, but it became difficult to tell how much to put on what. My go-to now is Tobasco or Chalula just because they're everywhere and I know what I'm getting. For wings, whatever the hottest sauce the place offers that isn't one of those joke sauces that make you piss fire the next day. Homemade wings: sweet baby ray's.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 20th, 2017, 5:42 pm

My list is the same as TW. As a kid (1960s) the only one we had was Tabasco. Both sriracha and Franks are new to me. My daughter found sriracha at college and brought it home with her. A friend of a friend did some research in Buffalo and came home with Franks RedHot. Supposedly the recipe for Buffalo wings is to grill the wings and drench in Franks. They make them at the Super Bowl party every year. Grilling makes a big difference. Then if you need something to cool it back down, Ranch dressing or bleu cheese dressing.

If you are in Texas, the HEB grocery store carries an HEB brand called Pepper Toppers. They are jars of something that can only be called pepper helper...as in hamburger helper. These are fairly spicy by themselves and are meant to be diluted in whatever you're making. I will take something like 1:4 ratio of Pepper Topper to sour cream and use that as a spread for tacos or enchiladas or just use as a chip dip. Pepper Toppers are found in the international foods section of the store.

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Re: Dave's Insanity

Post by llO0DQLE » August 1st, 2017, 12:22 am

dfw_pilot wrote:
May 31st, 2016, 12:49 am

LOL this was a hilarious prank on my coworkers... never tasted anything this hot before..