2016: What did you do to or on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: 2016: What did you do to or on your lawn today?

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 30th, 2016, 1:20 pm

Did a number of other-than-mowing maintenance tasks last night and today:

* Spot-sprayed Drive XLR8 to crabgrass and other weeds at 2.25oz/1.5gal of water with 1oz of NIS. I even made this application in the back lawn (fine fescue) which is potentially risky; we'll see how it goes...

* Spread 10# of Bayer Fungus Control (Propiconazole) on the ~3Ksqft of side lawn. (Starting to see some disease pressure on the Bewitched monostand, particularly right around where the lowest sprinkler head "drains out.")

* Applied Prodiamine 65 WDG at 3-month rate (0.5Tbsp/Ksqft) on entire lawn, except in vicinity of septic tank that will hopefully be replaced in the next couple weeks (and thus require a mini-reno over the new septic tank).

* Spot-sprayed Dawn Ultra at 4oz/gallon on mossy clumps at bases of trees in a "drench application"

lawndad
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by lawndad » July 30th, 2016, 2:32 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:Did a number of other-than-mowing maintenance tasks last night and today:

* Spot-sprayed Drive XLR8 to crabgrass and other weeds at 2.25oz/1.5gal of water with 1oz of NIS. I even made this application in the back lawn (fine fescue) which is potentially risky; we'll see how it goes...

* Spread 10# of Bayer Fungus Control (Propiconazole) on the ~3Ksqft of side lawn. (Starting to see some disease pressure on the Bewitched monostand, particularly right around where the lowest sprinkler head "drains out.")

* Applied Prodiamine 65 WDG at 3-month rate (0.5Tbsp/Ksqft) on entire lawn, except in vicinity of septic tank that will hopefully be replaced in the next couple weeks (and thus require a mini-reno over the new septic tank).

* Spot-sprayed Dawn Ultra at 4oz/gallon on mossy clumps at bases of trees in a "drench application"
Wow, you did a lot. Do you find results with the Dawn Ultra? I tried baby shampoo at 3oz/2gallons and didn't see any results....

lawndad

Post by lawndad » July 30th, 2016, 2:35 pm

I applied 2 bags of Miloganite and 2 bags of Scotts fungicide. I'm trying to mix up the AI. I used propiconizole last application. Lets see if the t-meth will do anything...

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 30th, 2016, 2:39 pm

lawndad wrote:
ken-n-nancy wrote:* Spot-sprayed Dawn Ultra at 4oz/gallon on mossy clumps at bases of trees in a "drench application"
Do you find results with the Dawn Ultra? I tried baby shampoo at 3oz/2gallons and didn't see any results....
I've had good results with the Dawn Ultra, since learning of the approach from Andy last year. A previous report on my results is in a different thread from last year.

I think the keys to success are thoroughly drenching the moss with the mixture (various research studies indicate a drench is required, not just a light broadcast over a wide area), applying to dry moss with dry weather in the forecast, and realizing that the moss will come back unless the local conditions favoring establishment of moss in that area are remedied.

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG

2016: What did you do to or on your lawn today?

Post by ericgautier » July 30th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Started working on my diy irrigation. Got up to measuring and putting stakes down for each head then rain.

Maybe I'll scalp again later in the afternoon.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » July 31st, 2016, 2:18 am

Got over an inch of rain in a half hour or so yesterday evening. Last week, watered the main front on mon and thur for 30 and 40 min twice. Side front on sun, tues, thur, fri for 25 min twice, and 36 min once on thur. Back 2 hours each zone thur. Hell strips by hand as needed. Grass is slightly brown in some areas.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

lawndad

Post by lawndad » July 31st, 2016, 8:23 am

ken-n-nancy wrote:
lawndad wrote:
ken-n-nancy wrote:* Spot-sprayed Dawn Ultra at 4oz/gallon on mossy clumps at bases of trees in a "drench application"
Do you find results with the Dawn Ultra? I tried baby shampoo at 3oz/2gallons and didn't see any results....
I've had good results with the Dawn Ultra, since learning of the approach from Andy last year. A previous report on my results is in a different thread from last year.

I think the keys to success are thoroughly drenching the moss with the mixture (various research studies indicate a drench is required, not just a light broadcast over a wide area), applying to dry moss with dry weather in the forecast, and realizing that the moss will come back unless the local conditions favoring establishment of moss in that area are remedied.
Good to know.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » July 31st, 2016, 8:30 am

Got about the same amount of rain this week as the entire month of April and June combined.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 31st, 2016, 8:33 am

People that do substitutions in these items should expect 75% failures.

lawndad

Post by lawndad » July 31st, 2016, 9:14 am

andy10917 wrote:
People that do substitutions in these items should expect 75% failures.
I misread the original post. I was thinking soap for the "lazy mans" BLSC/Kelp Help not for moss.

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by oze » July 31st, 2016, 9:34 am

Raised the HOC to the maximum that my mower goes: 4 1/4 inches, and the lawn looks great. I'm really happy with how well my NoMix blend stands up even at what must be >5" by the time I cut it, and the stripes from the Checkmate never looked better. Of course, the different species do not grow uniformly, so 5" is about as tall as I can realistically let it grow without the lawn starting to look unkempt, but I am glad to be able to get away with letting the grass get this tall during the hot weather we've been having in NE Indiana since the beginning of July.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » July 31st, 2016, 10:39 am

lawndad wrote:Lets see if the t-meth will do anything...
t-meth?

lawndad

Post by lawndad » July 31st, 2016, 11:29 am

LoneRanger wrote:
lawndad wrote:Lets see if the t-meth will do anything...
t-meth?
2.3% Thiophanate-methyl is the AI in Scotts. I called it T-meth, no?

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » July 31st, 2016, 8:38 pm

^ Thank you. I'm not very familiar with fungicides.

lawndad

Post by lawndad » July 31st, 2016, 9:51 pm

LoneRanger wrote:^ Thank you. I'm not very familiar with fungicides.
N/p, I became more familiar with them this year as I had a lot of issues to battle. What do you do to not have to use them? I'd like to know... I spent too much this year on them.

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » July 31st, 2016, 10:41 pm

Got 3 out of 4 zones of my DIY sprinkler done today. Thanks to the rain, the soil was easy to work with. But it also didn't allow me to scalp lower since it was pretty wet. 1 more zone to go and I should be set on irrigation.

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » July 31st, 2016, 10:51 pm

lawndad wrote:
N/p, I became more familiar with them this year as I had a lot of issues to battle. What do you do to not have to use them? I'd like to know... I spent too much this year on them.

Curious.. how much have you spent on fungicides?

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by bauer time » August 1st, 2016, 6:14 am

ericgautier wrote:Got 3 out of 4 zones of my DIY sprinkler done today. Thanks to the rain, the soil was easy to work with. But it also didn't allow me to scalp lower since it was pretty wet. 1 more zone to go and I should be set on irrigation.
Have you been documenting with pictures to post in a thread? I'd be interested in seeing the process and end result!

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » August 1st, 2016, 9:21 am

bauer time wrote:
ericgautier wrote:Got 3 out of 4 zones of my DIY sprinkler done today. Thanks to the rain, the soil was easy to work with. But it also didn't allow me to scalp lower since it was pretty wet. 1 more zone to go and I should be set on irrigation.
Have you been documenting with pictures to post in a thread? I'd be interested in seeing the process and end result!

Are you asking about the irrigation or the reno in general? I'll snap some pics of the irrigation setup when I finish the last zone. :good: In short: 1) 4 zone hose end timer 2) Mix of PGP and MP Rotator heads 3) Polypipe & fittings

As far as the reno, here is my thread - http://aroundtheyard.com/renovations/er ... 19313.html

lawndad

Post by lawndad » August 1st, 2016, 10:08 am

ericgautier wrote:
lawndad wrote:

Curious.. how much have you spent on fungicides?
Probably a drop in the bucket for some but much more than I personally wanted to spend this year for a 5,500 sq. ft. lawn. About $250...

Hertiage G

Bayer

Bayleton

More Bayer

Scotts

I think the Bayleton did the best job overall and I plan on treating with it early next year with it as a preventative unless I try the methods that others use on here that get no fungus at all. I haven't delved into that option and its expense yet.