What Fungus Do I have? Wrong Question!

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

What Fungus Do I have? Wrong Question!

Post by oze » August 29th, 2016, 5:20 pm

...at least in my lawn's case, the question should be, "What fungi do I have?". Earlier in the summer, I diagnosed an area (using this excellent site: http://turfdiseaseid.ncsu.edu/) as having a mild infestation of powdery mildew. No problem, I'll just up the Serenade apps and let the disease run its course.

What I neglected to do was to take a closer look at some other areas of my lawn, or I would have easily spotted the signs of dollar spot. And this disease laughed at the Serenade.

So, one more lesson learned for this advanced newbie. Thank goodness we have some Daconil Ultrex for Mrs. oze's garden--it took two applications I mean oversprays from the garden onto the lawn 2 weeks apart, but the lawn is now recovering nicely.

timingchainslipped
Grass Type: kbg
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: What Fungus Do I have? Wrong Question!

Post by timingchainslipped » August 29th, 2016, 5:51 pm

is it true that you need to cycle fungicides to keep the fungus guessing. almost like they become immune under prolonged use?

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: What Fungus Do I have? Wrong Question!

Post by bernstem » August 29th, 2016, 6:48 pm

In general you should rotate chemical fungicides to a different class after 1-2 uses, though it depends on the specific fungicide as they have different resistance potentials.