Anything in Scotts Grub Ex that will hurt my Biofungicide treatments?

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Anything in Scotts Grub Ex that will hurt my Biofungicide treatments?

Post by Casutherland » April 20th, 2017, 10:28 am

Just curious is the Scotts Grub Ex has anything that may potentially hurt or damage the biofungal activity from my applications of Serenade, Companion, Actinovate, etc.?

Thought about picking up a bag and putting it out soon. Saw some Grub activity already starting, and thought I would get on the ball this year.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Anything in Scotts Grub Ex that will hurt my Biofungicide treatments?

Post by MorpheusPA » April 20th, 2017, 11:15 am

Nothing at all! I'm forced to use GrubEx myself, and it doesn't interfere with anything.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » April 20th, 2017, 11:45 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 20th, 2017, 11:15 am
Nothing at all! I'm forced to use GrubEx myself, and it doesn't interfere with anything.
Thanks brother! I have an Amazon gift card, so I thought about snagging a bag of it even though its about $3 more than Home Depot.

Glad it wont interfere! Going to put out my cracked corn, and biofungicide mixture this evening.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by tlinden » April 21st, 2017, 8:06 pm

Oh that reminds me, it needs to be applied around now right?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 21st, 2017, 8:25 pm

May, really. It's not effective on 3rd instar or later grubs, which is where they are now. It's extremely effective on newly-hatched eggs, which will be August--and it takes some time to perk down.

If you must kill the grubs now, you'll need something much stronger--like Sevin or Merit. I don't recommend use of those unless absolutely required, though. They'll wipe the deck of most insects, and the huge majority of them are beneficial.

Mostly, we recommend application of GrubEx in mid-May to mid-June to catch and kill the hatching eggs in August and early September.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » April 22nd, 2017, 4:31 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 21st, 2017, 8:25 pm
May, really. It's not effective on 3rd instar or later grubs, which is where they are now. It's extremely effective on newly-hatched eggs, which will be August--and it takes some time to perk down.

If you must kill the grubs now, you'll need something much stronger--like Sevin or Merit. I don't recommend use of those unless absolutely required, though. They'll wipe the deck of most insects, and the huge majority of them are beneficial.

Mostly, we recommend application of GrubEx in mid-May to mid-June to catch and kill the hatching eggs in August and early September.
Doesn't it somewhat depend on location as well? Being down in Nashville, I'd assume it's normally applied a little earlier? All the local big box garden stores have the stuff sitting out front and on sale right now.

Just want to make sure before I put this out!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 22nd, 2017, 10:28 am

Locale will vary the process a bit, and we're so close to May at this point that I doubt it matters.

The stores sell stuff when people tend to buy it, not at the appropriate time for application. :-) Note that they highlight fertilizer at the wrong times consistently...

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » April 22nd, 2017, 10:44 am

This Michigan State University article recommends the application of GrubEx (chlorantraniliprole) between April 1 and May 30. The article actually say: "so it can be applied any time after the grass turns green in the spring".

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/how_to_cho ... _your_lawn

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » April 26th, 2017, 10:33 am

So I applied the grub ex yesterday, but decided to wait before watering it in since we are expecting some rain overnight tonight. I planned on cutting my grass today since we got about 7 inches over last weekend and its literally out of control right now. Planned on bagging the grass due to this reason.

If I have not watered in the grub ex yet, will bagging the grass possibly cause me to suck up some of the product? We had some heavy dew on the grass this morning, so maybe that helped? I can always run home on my lunch break and water it in really quick (10 min front/back).

Billy
Grass Type: Cool season and warm season

Post by Billy » April 26th, 2017, 10:54 am

g-man wrote:
April 22nd, 2017, 10:44 am
This Michigan State University article recommends the application of GrubEx (chlorantraniliprole) between April 1 and May 30. The article actually say: "so it can be applied any time after the grass turns green in the spring".

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/how_to_cho ... _your_lawn
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

It pays to know what you're applying and how it works. Several years ago, when GrubEx used imidacloprid as its active ingredient, the mid-May to mid-June timing was a good rule of thumb. But, since they've changed to chlorantraniliprole, the timing also changes. That active works better when applied earlier, sometimes as early as March. Those who pay attention to what they're doing will see better results than those who blindly follow old guidelines without understanding what they are.

As for when stores sell things, that's a double-sided sword. Is there anybody on this board who has never bought something before you need it? Probably not. I don't mind stores putting things out early (since it gives people time to prepare), but the other side of that coin is that the people who don't read the instructions may think that because it's out in the stores, it's time to apply.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 12th, 2017, 2:22 pm

I wish manufacturers would change the names when they change the ingredients. I was just looking at a fertilizer that used to have blood meal as an ingredient. Glad I checked because it doesn't have it anymore. They should not assume we're idiots even if we are. But when you come to rely on a certain product working and something changes, we should not have to do a lot of research to find out what's different.