Planted some Knock Out roses this weekend.

Discuss flowers and annuals here
Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Planted some Knock Out roses this weekend.

Post by Casutherland » April 10th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Hey guys, here are some pictures of some knock out roses that I planted this weekend. Thoughts? Interested to see how they do.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Planted some Knock Out roses this weekend.

Post by MorpheusPA » April 10th, 2017, 10:52 pm

I think they might be a bit close to the deck--they get a bit bigger than most people think--but you can cut them away or move them later if you want to. They're very forgiving. I just regeneration-cut mine right back to the ground, the eldest is now 12 and getting kind of shaggy, plus the branches collapse every time it blooms (I tend to over-feed a bit, so it's covered with blossoms).

Just keep 'em watered and feed them a little once they adjust and they'll do you proud. Knockouts are really very easy-care roses.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » April 10th, 2017, 11:14 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 10th, 2017, 10:52 pm
I think they might be a bit close to the deck--they get a bit bigger than most people think--but you can cut them away or move them later if you want to. They're very forgiving. I just regeneration-cut mine right back to the ground, the eldest is now 12 and getting kind of shaggy, plus the branches collapse every time it blooms (I tend to over-feed a bit, so it's covered with blossoms).

Just keep 'em watered and feed them a little once they adjust and they'll do you proud. Knockouts are really very easy-care roses.
Thanks Morpheus. That's perfect. We wanted something that would be pretty and easy to care for. Trying to think if there's anything else to mix in or to make the area fuller. However, if you think this will fill in, I won't worry about it.

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by killerv » April 11th, 2017, 8:11 am

they get big, I bought a couple on clearance from HD last fall, doing great so far this year, of course the more sun the better. My neighbor has some that are 8ft tall.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bernstem » April 11th, 2017, 9:59 am

Knockouts are a very nice rose that can be used as a stand alone planting, grown as a hedge or mixed in with other plants. They are shrub roses so tend to have a very full shape and don't get "leggy" like Hybrid Teas and many other rose types. They are very disease resistant and don't generally need fungicides or other sprays. Like all roses, they appreciate highly organic soil and generous fertilization. They are very forgiving and can be cut back almost to the ground once established or treated more like a boxwood shrub. I trim mine with a hedge trimmer in the spring. I think you will like them. The only thing they don't have is a strong rose scent.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » April 11th, 2017, 10:24 am

Double knockouts are what got me into roses - so easy to care for and very striking in groups. I'll bet they do even better further south.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » April 11th, 2017, 10:37 am

Yes, I am very excited to see how these do. This area gets some morning shade, afternoon sun, and evening shade. Going to plant some hostas on the other side of the deck.

Also planted an Emperor Japanese Maple and 3 Schipp Laurels. Very very excited, as this is the first time I have filled out these beds. Also added in that landscaping wall border this weekend for a nice touch ;)

These forums really have me turning this into a hobby. I get excited to go home and check on my yard, plants, shrubs, etc. I am finding a passion for this..

chrismar
Grass Type: Front: KBG / Back: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by chrismar » April 11th, 2017, 12:02 pm

I have many, many knockout and double knockout roses around my backyard. They grow like weeds and provide lots of color during the growing season. Mine were as small as yours last April when I planted them and by the end of the season they were easily 3-4 feet tall and 2-3' wide. I think they'll fill out the area where they are very well, but you'll have some pruning to do to keep them contained in your bed.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » April 13th, 2017, 11:12 pm

So it appears that I have had some rabbits eating my new roses that I planted. Just before dark this evening, I sprayed the roses and ground around the roses with a Tabasco/dish soap/water solution. Doubt they will be back for a while.

Lets hope at least..

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 14th, 2017, 10:59 am

Ha! I've never seen rabbits eating my roses, but when they're young (the rose and/or the rabbit), they'll generally try anything.

Renew the Tabasco after a rainfall. But other than that, you should be golden; I use it to repel the dozen or so local rabbits from my freshly-planted May gardens and it works well. Roses aren't nearly so palatable.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » April 14th, 2017, 2:27 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 14th, 2017, 10:59 am
Ha! I've never seen rabbits eating my roses, but when they're young (the rose and/or the rabbit), they'll generally try anything.

Renew the Tabasco after a rainfall. But other than that, you should be golden; I use it to repel the dozen or so local rabbits from my freshly-planted May gardens and it works well. Roses aren't nearly so palatable.
Hah..i know right! I swear, they completely ate my entire azalea bush that I had planted last year toward the end of the season. Ate every single leaf off the thing. Now, they want my rose bush that's in the same spot. Hope this keeps them away! I will plan to reapply after a good rainfall.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 16th, 2017, 11:16 am

Add just the tiniest bit of Elmer's white glue (the stuff kids tend to eat, actually, but rabbits can't stand it and it helps the scent stick) for a bit more repelling power. 1/4 tsp per quart of solution works fine.

I sometimes toss in a bit of neem oil (sold as leaf shine and used by soap makers as well). Similarly, 1/4 tsp per quart of solution works well, shines the rose leaves, and will also deter some insects and diseases a little bit.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » May 1st, 2017, 6:53 pm

Well the knockouts in the back aren't doing too hot. I'd debate if one is dying. No new buds at all.

Double knockout in the front is looking good, but may have some kind of leaf disease trying to start? Or insect damage?

Here are some pictures?

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » May 1st, 2017, 7:37 pm

Rose in the back

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » May 1st, 2017, 7:53 pm

I think I'd try some Rose Pride. That does look like a disease.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » May 1st, 2017, 9:46 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
May 1st, 2017, 7:53 pm
I think I'd try some Rose Pride. That does look like a disease.
Will this work?

https://m.acehardware.com/product/index ... aa6a43085c

Also, what do you think about the rose bush in the back? Is it dying? Any possible reason all the blooms died and no new buds?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » May 2nd, 2017, 6:02 am

It'll work if the damage is done by insects, but I can't tell if it is. It actually looks more like fungal damage out front, at least.

The back one actually doesn't look that bad, and dropping buds is normal if the plant is shocked by being transplanted.

Plus Knockouts don't generally bloom until late May or early June; mine hasn't thrown any buds yet. Not that it would this year, since I caned it to the ground, but even if not, it would be leafed out but not yet budding. Yours were forced at the greenhouse, which is an additional stress on the plant.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » May 2nd, 2017, 11:10 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
May 2nd, 2017, 6:02 am
It'll work if the damage is done by insects, but I can't tell if it is. It actually looks more like fungal damage out front, at least.

The back one actually doesn't look that bad, and dropping buds is normal if the plant is shocked by being transplanted.

Plus Knockouts don't generally bloom until late May or early June; mine hasn't thrown any buds yet. Not that it would this year, since I caned it to the ground, but even if not, it would be leafed out but not yet budding. Yours were forced at the greenhouse, which is an additional stress on the plant.
Thanks man! Just put in an order for the Ortho RosePride disease control on amazon. $25 price mark is a little pricey, but seemed cheaper than most big box hardware stores. FYI..my rose bush in the front is a double knockout. It was planted last year around April and came back super strong this year. Lots of new growth and a TON of blooms right now.

Sounds good on the rose in the back. I just got a little worried because it doesn't look as healthy as the other two. The other two are blooming and creating new blooms. Ground is a little squishy around it. This soil just does not percolate well after heavy rains. It normally takes 2-3 days after an inch of rain fall for the ground to harden up some in my beds.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » May 3rd, 2017, 12:53 pm

And I just noticed you're in Tennessee as opposed to my foothills of Pennsylvania where it's currently an entirely normal sixty degrees. Of course your Knockouts blossom a lot earlier. :-) I checked my yellow Knockout yesterday and it's healthy and huge, but not yet budding up. I cut the red back this year, so it'll be late.

Roses, as a whole, don't like sodden ground (few plants do, and few will tolerate it--in one location where I can't do anything about it, I planted a common lilac on a mound).

If you can divert the water away, great. But that's not often possible. You can encourage drainage by increasing organic matter levels, or using soil conditioner (basic baby shampoo, 2-4 oz per thousand square feet, will help over time). It doesn't sound like a grading issue in your case as you don't mention tons of standing water...just a perk issue...so that should help over time.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » May 3rd, 2017, 1:24 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 12:53 pm
And I just noticed you're in Tennessee as opposed to my foothills of Pennsylvania where it's currently an entirely normal sixty degrees. Of course your Knockouts blossom a lot earlier. :-) I checked my yellow Knockout yesterday and it's healthy and huge, but not yet budding up. I cut the red back this year, so it'll be late.

Roses, as a whole, don't like sodden ground (few plants do, and few will tolerate it--in one location where I can't do anything about it, I planted a common lilac on a mound).

If you can divert the water away, great. But that's not often possible. You can encourage drainage by increasing organic matter levels, or using soil conditioner (basic baby shampoo, 2-4 oz per thousand square feet, will help over time). It doesn't sound like a grading issue in your case as you don't mention tons of standing water...just a perk issue...so that should help over time.
Yes, we just broke an all time heat record for the month of April. Most days were in the 70s-80s with many days in the mid 80s. My roses started to bloom about mid April and have really been loving the weather. However, with the heat also came the rain. We were about 3-4 inches over our monthly average in rain. The first 15 days of the month, we only got about .55 inches of rain. However, it rained 9 of the last 15 days of the month, and we received almost 8 inches of rain.

So right now, my mulch beds in the back yard are still fairly saturated. On top it looks dry, but if you dig down 6-12 inches, there is standing water. My wife's father is an engineer and he thought that it was possible that our water table may just be higher where I am. However, I believe that the soil just isn't percolating like it should (as mentioned before). I have been trying to use a garden weasel to rake in about an inch of compost every month, but its starting to get pricey. I also started my first app of the BLKH and BLSC last week. Plan is to do that every other week for the rest of the growing season.

For now, I think I will just monitor the rose bush that is in the heaviest of clay, and try to add compost and soil amendments around it. I will hit it with the BLSC bi weekly too, as well as the rest of the beds.

I really do not have a big yard, so it is easy for me to be picky and spend money to fix things. That is really why I am shooting for "great" instead of "decent"