Planted some Knock Out roses this weekend.

Discuss flowers and annuals here
HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Planted some Knock Out roses this weekend.

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 3rd, 2017, 1:52 pm

I don't think any rose likes wet feet. Standing water in the root zone would not be helpful.

When I plant my roses in my tight alkaline soil, I mix in equal parts peat moss, native soil, and compost - roughly lol, and plant them a little higher above the soil surface, accounting for 3'4" mulch to be above the bud union. We are a much colder climate than yours, so I imagine you can plant them higher on the surface as well without fear of them freezing over the winter.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 3rd, 2017, 2:25 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 1:52 pm
... accounting for 3'4" mulch to be above the bud union.
That's some thick mulch! :shock: ;)

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 3rd, 2017, 3:19 pm

lol 3"-4" :) I'll edit my post hahaha

Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Casutherland » May 6th, 2017, 9:44 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
May 1st, 2017, 7:53 pm
I think I'd try some Rose Pride. That does look like a disease.
So I was mixing up some rose pride to apply to my roses, and used my plastic measuring cup. It turned it a milky white color once I washed it out. What's the deal?

I also use that cup to mix my Serenade and companion. Is it going to hurt that now? How do I get it clean?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » May 8th, 2017, 7:32 am

It probably ate through the plastic and scored it a bit. It's fine to use for mixing other things, though I wouldn't use it for Rose Pride again. It'll just eat through more.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bernstem » May 14th, 2017, 10:53 am

The smaller knock out looks like it will be fine. You can gently fertilize it as well which will help. Try to use a slow release fertilizer (Milorganite is good) as young roses sometimes don't respond well to a high salt fertilizer. The drainage issues may also be stressing the rose. As Morpheus said, roses don't like wet feet. They prefer well drained soil high in organic matter content (like most garden plants).

The spotted rose looks like it could be an early disease. Generally knockouts are very disease resistant, but they can still be affected if they are stressed. New plantings are by definition stressed. The other possibility is Rose Mosaic Virus, but the leaf lesions tend to be more distinct than what I see on yours. Try a fungicide first. You can't do anything about rose mosaic virus. I like Bayer rose disease control with Tebuconazole. It is a systemic fungicide so won't be washed off by rain after the initial application. The Ortho RosePride with Tritaconazole is very similar to the Bayer. The linked product at ACE hardware is an insecticide and won't help with fungal disease.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » May 15th, 2017, 10:57 am

bernstem wrote:
May 14th, 2017, 10:53 am
The smaller knock out looks like it will be fine. You can gently fertilize it as well which will help. Try to use a slow release fertilizer (Milorganite is good) as young roses sometimes don't respond well to a high salt fertilizer. The drainage issues may also be stressing the rose. As Morpheus said, roses don't like wet feet. They prefer well drained soil high in organic matter content (like most garden plants).

The spotted rose looks like it could be an early disease. Generally knockouts are very disease resistant, but they can still be affected if they are stressed. New plantings are by definition stressed. The other possibility is Rose Mosaic Virus, but the leaf lesions tend to be more distinct than what I see on yours. Try a fungicide first. You can't do anything about rose mosaic virus. I like Bayer rose disease control with Tebuconazole. It is a systemic fungicide so won't be washed off by rain after the initial application. The Ortho RosePride with Tritaconazole is very similar to the Bayer. The linked product at ACE hardware is an insecticide and won't help with fungal disease.
Thanks Bernstem! I purchased some Ortho RosePride Disease Control a few weeks ago, and have already done two applications. I really have no noticed any difference or clearing up on the disease. I followed directions to a tee on the bottle. Maybe I should try something else?

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » May 16th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Rose diseases will take a while to resolve. Yellowing leaves are not going to recover, may worsen and may even drop even with effective fungicide treatments. What you want to prevent is spread of the disease to other, unaffected parts of the plant. If it is not worsening, then the fungicide is working. Triticonazole is a systemic fungicide so is absorbed by the plant and will provide protection even after rain. I would follow the direction for active disease. You may not need to apply weekly.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » May 26th, 2017, 1:07 pm

So I just got back on vacation and it appears that my double knock on the front yard got knocked out while I was gone :(.

Can you guys help me diagnose the issue here. No new blooms and it's looks pitiful..

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by Jackpine » May 27th, 2017, 5:41 am

That's damage from a fly larvae. Get some Spinosad and spray that top and underside of the leaves.

bernstem

Post by bernstem » May 27th, 2017, 7:47 am

Rose Slugs (sawfly larvae). If you ignore them, the roses will look ugly, but beneficial insects and animals will come in and eat the slugs. None of your roses are damaged enough that they won't recover just fine. You can treat with chemical or organic insecticides if you want, but those will have a detrimental effect on beneficial insects. A non-chemical method of control is to wash off the rose slugs with a garden hose. That will kill many of them also. Personally I ignore them and accept the damage.

Billybob

Post by Billybob » June 7th, 2017, 6:08 pm

I have a quick question....when the blooms wind down just before they fall off, mine turn a light pink. My knock outs are red. Is that normal or is my soil lacking something?

bernstem

Post by bernstem » June 16th, 2017, 10:28 am

The color intensity of most roses fade as the blooms age. I see it most on dark reds and purple roses. It is normal.