Need help weed ID

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Lawnnut
Grass Type: Kentucky
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Need help weed ID

Post by Lawnnut » May 19th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Hi, I was hoping someone could tell me what this weed is in the pictures this stuff is taking over my lawn. Help for any help. I live in northern Indiana..

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Need help weed ID

Post by bpgreen » May 19th, 2017, 1:46 pm

I don't think it's a weed. I think it's KBG that is going to seed. It's not a problem and the seeds won't be viable. I could be wrong and it could be pos annua or pos triv, but it looks like KBG to me.

Lawnnut

Post by Lawnnut » May 19th, 2017, 2:24 pm

How can I get rid of this ? Would 2,4,d work ??

Lawnnut

Post by Lawnnut » May 19th, 2017, 2:31 pm

I think by KGB you meant Kentucky bluegrass sorry I was thinking of some else ???

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » May 19th, 2017, 2:39 pm

You don't want to get rid of it. It's your lawn grass. It's just temporarily going to seed. It will be back to normal in a few days or a few weeks.

Lawnnut

Post by Lawnnut » May 19th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Hey thanks a lot !! I thought I had a real problem of my hands, I did a weed a post app of 2,4,d and quinclorac 75 DF and when it was still there 4 weeks later ,I started scratching my head wondering why. This is good news and as I recall I did a whole reseed last year so it makes sense now. Thanks again

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by kbgfarmer » May 19th, 2017, 4:13 pm

I was waiting for the post where someone thought their yard was getting taken over by a coarse weed! Like clockwork here it is. You have healthy KBG my friend! Enjoy it. Embrace it!

Lawnnut

Post by Lawnnut » May 19th, 2017, 4:29 pm

kbgfarmer wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 4:13 pm
I was waiting for the post where someone thought their yard was getting taken over by a coarse weed! Like clockwork here it is. You have healthy KBG my friend! Enjoy it. Embrace it!

Thanks now I can relax my yard is looking good now ..lol

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » May 19th, 2017, 7:15 pm

I missed one of your posts. Yes, KBG is Kentucky bluegrass.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » May 19th, 2017, 7:22 pm

kbgfarmer wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 4:13 pm
my friend was showing it to me around his neighborhood all in a panic. he thought his lawn was gonna be next lol I said dude you cut your lawn at 1in and bag you won't see anything.

napper
Grass Type: Midnight II, Rhapsody, Blueberry, Bewitched

Post by napper » May 19th, 2017, 7:33 pm

That is Poa Annua. See this thread viewtopic.php?forum_uri=northern&t=383&start=#p2481

Lawnnut

Post by Lawnnut » May 19th, 2017, 8:12 pm

napper wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 7:33 pm
That is Poa Annua. See this thread viewtopic.php?forum_uri=northern&t=383&start=#p2481
Okay I'm confused ... I'm kinda new at this thing so your saying it's annual poa so it should die off in June ?? So it's still grass that is growing right ? Or should I look into trying to kill it off ?

napper
Grass Type: Midnight II, Rhapsody, Blueberry, Bewitched

Post by napper » May 19th, 2017, 8:27 pm

Yes, the poa annua should die off warm/dry weather. Do a search on poa annua to learn more. You might have some kbg seedheads mixed in but most of it looks like poa annua to me.

Lawnnut

Post by Lawnnut » May 19th, 2017, 8:41 pm

napper wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 8:27 pm
Yes, the poa annua should die off warm/dry weather. Do a search on poa annua to learn more. You might have some kbg seedheads mixed in but most of it looks like poa annua to me.
Do you think I should even risk spraying it? or should I just wait until it gets warm and it dies off by it self? then do a pre emergent around November time frame?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by TimmyG » May 19th, 2017, 8:54 pm

Lawnnut, just keep in mind that only napper is suggesting that it is Poa annua. Given that the seed heads are distributed evenly through what you've stated is KBG, the consensus is that this is your desirable KBG going to seed, just as most of us are experiencing this time of year. Bluegrass seeds low; it's what it does.

Of course, it could be Poa annua, but if you're seeing huge swaths of seed heads, not just individual clumps, go with the more likely situation.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » May 19th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Is the stalk very thin? It looks like poa annua to me too.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by TimmyG » May 19th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Lawnnut, this post from Billy today in the Warm-season grasses forum should be of interest to you. Sure, it pertains to bermudagrass, but the info still applies.
Re: Bermuda Seed Head Expression

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Level: Some Experience

Post by kbgfarmer » May 19th, 2017, 9:16 pm

It is definitely not Poa Annua! Poa annua seedheads look different and the timing of your uniformly spread seedheads expressions point to KBG.

Lawnnut

Post by Lawnnut » May 19th, 2017, 9:20 pm

TimmyG wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 8:54 pm
Lawnnut, just keep in mind that only napper is suggesting that it is Poa annua. Given that the seed heads are distributed evenly through what you've stated is KBG, the consensus is that this is your desirable KBG going to seed, just as most of us are experiencing this time of year. Bluegrass seeds low; it's what it does.

Of course, it could be Poa annua, but if you're seeing huge swaths of seed heads, not just individual clumps, go with the more likely situation.

Thank you ! It's kinda hard to tell annual poa from Kentucky bluegrass. I mow 2 times a week and water 1 inch a week. I mow at 4 inches, well now 3.75 cuz it looks a little nicer. I did a reseed of scotts grass seed back in June / August (yeah I know worst time frame to ever reseed a lawn ,but I didn't know anything back then)

I think I'll wait it out and see if it dies off this summer their is no way I can get it all now if it is annaul poa. I would need a blanket control. Either way I'll need to do a pre emergent at the end of the season

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » May 19th, 2017, 9:52 pm

Lawnnut wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 8:41 pm
then do a pre emergent around November time frame?
The fall PreM to prevent poa a should be done around labor day (once your spring pre m starts to be ineffective) instead of November. You want to prevent the seeds that germinate once the summer temp start to drop. By November the seeds would have germinated, grown and be about to go dormant for the winter, thus a PreM in november won't be effective for fall prevention.

This article from the site explains it in more detail. http://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=117