Nematode Sources

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
73Chall
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Nematode Sources

Post by 73Chall » June 21st, 2017, 6:18 am

'Lo all; and, Happy Summer!

2 Questions:

Can anyone provide me with

1) a proven and reliable source for beneficial nematodes? (url, link, etc.)

2) the species (or strain?) of nematodes I need to control Wireworms?

I've asked around locally but, am now under the impression nematodes are not the kinds of organisms conducive to simply "sitting on a store shelf" while awaiting customer purchase and use, etc.

Struggling (actually, all-out battling) since last Fall to re-establish grass in at least two widely separated areas of my lawn and past the point of pulling my hair out (I mean I have tried EVERYTHING!), I have somewhat (practically accidentally) come across an unsuspected pest (first, while hand cultivating in one area and then, upon sub-surface investigation in the second area): WIREWORMS!

So, beginning my search for a viable solution, I am seeing indications of "this nematode for fleas", "this nematode for termites", etc. and so I recognize I am in over my depth and need to expand / deepen my research . . .

Is there a chart or reference anywhere that illustrates which type of nematodes are "right" for which pests / problems? (Such a reference would I imagine be valuable!)

Ogden
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Nematode Sources

Post by Ogden » June 21st, 2017, 9:55 pm

Arbico Organics seems reputable, though I haven't ordered nematodes yet.

This product:

http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/ ... arpocapsae

Lists wireworms as on of the pests it is effective against.

I've talked to then on the phone before and they we very knowledgeable and helpful.

73Chall
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by 73Chall » June 22nd, 2017, 12:28 am

Howdy, Ogden; and, Thank You!

After posting this am (and before coming back this morning) I found a product combination grown and shipped by Hydro-Gardens: 'Guardian' combined with 'Lawn Patrol' and, just as the Arbico website points out: "nematodes are NOT just nematodes are NOT just nematodes!"

The Guardian strain is immediate (12-24 hrs) on pests in the top 3" of the soil but, must enter through any opening in the insect (I.e., mouth, anus, existingbwound, etc) while the Lawn Patrol is 48-72 hrs in the 3"-6" depth range AND has the ability to enter through the insects flesh, (no need for any existing orifice).

Turns outbHydro-Gardens propagate their own nematodes on host insects inside their laboratories and they can guarantee what they send are alive, aggressive AND effective!

Anyhoo, I can't thank you enough as now I have TWO sources (Hydro-Garden supplies nurseries but, they also sell direct to DIY'ers like us.

Really appreciate the assist (and definitely looking forward to putting these wireworms behind me)!

Ogden
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Ogden » June 22nd, 2017, 5:57 am

That's great. I hadn't seen hydro garden before so I'll check them out. My one reservation on Arbico is that their applications jump from 3200sf to 1 acre and my yard is in the middle of that. Maybe HG has something more in line with the size of my yard.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 22nd, 2017, 4:17 pm

I can buy Guardian type locally at a nursery. They keep them refrigerated but only for 2 weeks.