Possible brown patch, clumping fescue, where did I go wrong???

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
daimbert
Grass Type: Hogan Blend TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Possible brown patch, clumping fescue, where did I go wrong???

Post by daimbert » July 17th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to touch on the community to see if you can all confirm my hunches and hopefully help me formulate a game plan. This year my lawn has been looking pretty good overall but I think I went a little too heavy during overseeding in the fall. Now I am seeing areas that are dying where the grass just seems too thick and it's choking itself out. Or at least, that's what I think. Another theory could be that I am getting some brown patch. Could you all take a gander and let me know what you think? (pics 1, 2, and 3). Here's a list of things I've done so far in the lawn this year since before spring. You think I might have to detach? It's pretty bad.

April 3rd - put down 2 lbs of anderson pre-emergent
April 30th - spot sprayed tenacity
May 14th - 2 lbs urea and potash plus a lime application
May 27th - sprayed speedzone at 1.5 per 1000
June 11th - sprayed fungicide Propiconazole (Spot on bad areas then throughout)
June 15th - second app of urea 1 lbs per k and potash 2lbs per k plus added borax and maganise. Finally half rate of milorganite.

I also been seeing spread out around the yard (back and front) some very thick bladed grass that is clumps. It seems to have taken over areas where I the overseed didn't take (pic 4, 5, 6) I first I thought it was quack grass but I'm not too sure. What do you think? How do I deal with it, especially during this years overseeding.

Thank you everyone for your time and advice.

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Re: Possible brown patch, clumping fescue, where did I go wrong???

Post by McLovin » July 17th, 2017, 9:20 pm

High fertilization rates promote BP in my transition zone region. I did fertilize this year but that was on March 15th.

I would look into a strobin fungicide product such as azoxystrobin (Heritage, Strobe, one more "generic" that I can't recall the name) if you want a curative remedy.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » July 17th, 2017, 9:26 pm

I think your hunch is correct.

I couldn't enlarge the photo all the way in my browser, but I could get it big enough to see what I think are distinct Brown Patch lesions on a few TF leaves.

Now, your task is to figure out what the dead leaves are, and what killed them...what type of grass are they? If the bottoms are still living, you should be able to tell if they're TF, PR, fine fescue, or KBG. Look for the lesions, on those blades, and try to ID them all...you could have dollar spot or other disease mixed in.

Also, if you haven't yet this week, check out the Lawn Care Nut's youtube channel...he has a nice, recent, comprehensive video that talks about Brown Patch and other diseases in Indiana in July 2017. He walks through his old neighborhood and breaks everything down, and it's a fun watch that'll help build your intuition as to what might be going on...just another perspective outside of the forum.

As far as fescue clumping...it's just something that happens sometimes...nothing you can do about it. They all do it once in a while...even the newest ones.

daimbert
Grass Type: Hogan Blend TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by daimbert » July 18th, 2017, 7:27 am

Couldn't post the other pics on clumping fescue here they go. Also included a pick of what looks like black spots on these leaves that might explain the fungus.