Compare and save glyphosphate

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
piscean
Grass Type: Tall fescue, K31 killed most of it
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Compare and save glyphosphate

Post by piscean » July 16th, 2017, 12:11 pm

I recently bought some compare and save glyphosphate. I watched some videos on moxing quantities look like this is concentrate they suggested 2.5 ounces for a gallon water. How do I measure that quantity what do you use ? I do t want it to put it in my sprayer because I might not use the whole thing since it being gallon. I have some old roundup cans with the hand sprayers. Can fill that with a gallon of water and add 2.5 ounces of glyphosphate.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Compare and save glyphosphate

Post by MorpheusPA » July 16th, 2017, 12:17 pm

I use an old Roundup cap with the 2.5 oz line marked off (I think I actually use a higher concentration of what I have, but whatever, really).

Using old Roundup jugs is fine! Although if you do mix it in a 1 gallon sprayer, it's good forever. I've been using my one gallon for more than a year now.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » July 16th, 2017, 12:19 pm

I have a separate set of teaspoons, tablespoons, etc. I picked up a small Bonide 3-oz or so plastic measuring cup marked in tablespoons and ounces somewhere (probably a garden center).

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » July 16th, 2017, 8:57 pm

I, too, use an old Roundup Concentrate cap. Although I'd never spend the premium for Roundup branding again, the cap has been very nice to have. Caps, actually; I have two. For glyphosate in a 2-gal sprayer, it's nice to have the 8-oz capacity of the Roundup cap. Room to spare, so less risk of spilling.

I sprayed 12 gallons of Compare-N-Save mix today. And, no, I'm not doing a reno.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » July 16th, 2017, 9:03 pm

TimmyG wrote:
July 16th, 2017, 8:57 pm

I sprayed 12 gallons of Compare-N-Save mix today. And, no, I'm not doing a reno.
Good grief, what are you doing? We sprayed an overgrown brick driveway and went through 6 gallons and I thought that was a ton!

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » July 16th, 2017, 9:52 pm

A whole lotta everything, mostly precision spraying in beds, woods, hardscapes, etc. Some spraying of turf for conversion to new beds. Many hours.

piscean

Post by piscean » July 16th, 2017, 10:41 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
July 16th, 2017, 12:17 pm
I use an old Roundup cap with the 2.5 oz line marked off (I think I actually use a higher concentration of what I have, but whatever, really).

Using old Roundup jugs is fine! Although if you do mix it in a 1 gallon sprayer, it's good forever. I've been using my one gallon for more than a year now.
I only have one sprayer would like to use it for tenacity and pesticide as well. So for me existing roundup works better.

piscean

Post by piscean » July 16th, 2017, 10:49 pm

TimmyG wrote:
July 16th, 2017, 9:52 pm
A whole lotta everything, mostly precision spraying in beds, woods, hardscapes, etc. Some spraying of turf for conversion to new beds. Many hours.
Man, a whole lot of glyphosphate. I am always concerned using too much weedkiller and glyphosphate in the lawn. I have no option with the mulch area that seem to spring these hard to kill canadian thistle. It is like playing whack a mole I kill a few and few others popup in a different area.

piscean

Post by piscean » July 16th, 2017, 10:52 pm

andy10917 wrote:
July 16th, 2017, 12:19 pm
I have a separate set of teaspoons, tablespoons, etc. I picked up a small Bonide 3-oz or so plastic measuring cup marked in tablespoons and ounces somewhere (probably a garden center).
Thank you Andy will try that.

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » July 16th, 2017, 11:27 pm

I only use 1oz per gallon.

mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by mitten » July 16th, 2017, 11:34 pm

I use this measuring cup. Only a $5 investment. Clearly marked so easy to pour into from a gallon jug. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FY ... =UTF8&th=1

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar

Post by smast16 » July 17th, 2017, 8:16 am

piscean wrote:
July 16th, 2017, 10:49 pm
... I have no option with the mulch area that seem to spring these hard to kill canadian thistle. It is like playing whack a mole I kill a few and few others popup in a different area.
I'm playing this same game with Morning Glory / Moon Flower. I've not let anything get over 3 inches tall in 3 years, and i'm still spraying new sprouts every week :banghead: . Last year i bought the Round Up with the cup on the end of the wand (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Roundup-1-Gall ... r/50270209) and refilled it this year from concentrate. Battery in the wand is still going, and I like the cup because it really helps with accidental spray when working in a flower bed. To measure the concentrate i just use an old Bayer Brush Killer measuring cup. Works well for this, as well as my pump sprayer.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » July 18th, 2017, 12:55 am

smast16 wrote:
July 17th, 2017, 8:16 am
piscean wrote:
July 16th, 2017, 10:49 pm
... I have no option with the mulch area that seem to spring these hard to kill canadian thistle. It is like playing whack a mole I kill a few and few others popup in a different area.
I'm playing this same game with Morning Glory / Moon Flower. I've not let anything get over 3 inches tall in 3 years, and i'm still spraying new sprouts every week :banghead: . Last year i bought the Round Up with the cup on the end of the wand (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Roundup-1-Gall ... r/50270209) and refilled it this year from concentrate. Battery in the wand is still going, and I like the cup because it really helps with accidental spray when working in a flower bed. To measure the concentrate i just use an old Bayer Brush Killer measuring cup. Works well for this, as well as my pump sprayer.
I'm a little confused about your weeds. When you say morning glory, I assume you mean wild morning glory, aka field bindweed. There are several plants that go by the name moonflower. I think the most common is jimsyn weed.

Are you battling both of these?

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar

Post by smast16 » July 18th, 2017, 8:33 am

To be honest i don't really know which Genus & Species it is. All i know is that it is a member of the Convolvulaceae Family, most likely the Ipomoea Genus. I've never let anything get taller than a few inches before i hit them with RoundUp, or pull if too close to a shurb or flower.

Btw, this is not in the lawn, but rather in 2 flower beds. I've never planted these in the beds, but i'm assuming these were the ornamental variety planted by the previous owner to the previous owner. The most recent previous owner was a hoarder and didn't upkeep with anything (it literally was a jungle, both inside and out), but the owner before that was an elderly lady who kept very nice flower beds. However, these very well could be bindweed or jimsyn weed, but RU doesn't care.

PeterS
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by PeterS » July 18th, 2017, 8:55 am

I bought a set of plastic graduated cylinders in milliliters so that it's easy for me to convert lane instructions and mix only, say, a liter at a time of a particular solution if I'm only doing a very limited spot spraying. Super cheap on amazon.

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » July 18th, 2017, 10:42 am

These are invaluable to me for measuring & thanks to Morph for reminding us that glypho last forever in a tank. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I ... UTF8&psc=1

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » October 27th, 2019, 10:26 pm

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » October 29th, 2019, 9:27 am

Price is back up today.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 29th, 2019, 7:31 pm

FWIW, I tried some 15-20 year old glyphosate out on some sidewalk plants and it did jack squat. It had been stored in an unconditioned garage in Indiana.

deboy922
Grass Type: Northern mix

Post by deboy922 » October 30th, 2019, 10:04 am

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 7:31 pm
FWIW, I tried some 15-20 year old glyphosate out on some sidewalk plants and it did jack squat. It had been stored in an unconditioned garage in Indiana.
Interesting...in mid-September I used some approximately 15-year-old Weed B Gon Max (also stored in an unconditioned garage in Indiana), and it worked well.