Urea for Late Fall Application

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Pdrizzle
Grass Type: Kentucky, Rye, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Urea for Late Fall Application

Post by Pdrizzle » August 31st, 2017, 3:06 pm

I've never used urea for a late fall fertilizer...couple of dumb questions:

1. Where do I get it? Recommended suppliers or brand names would be helpful and appreciated.
2. How do I apply it?

A couple of web searches has me confused on what exactly and how. The Fall Nitrogen Regimen posted by andy10917 has answered the when question for me now I need to know what to get and how to use it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Urea for Late Fall Application

Post by andy10917 » August 31st, 2017, 3:29 pm

You need to re-read the very first posting in the Fall Nitrogen Regimens thread - here's the material there on brands, sources, etc says:
You will not find fast-release Urea and/or AS fertilizers at big-box stores - don't waste your time trying. The best sources are farm-supply stores and places where landscapers and golf courses shop. Urea and AS will not come with homeowner instructions - it will be in very plain unbranded paper or plastic bags. The "aggressive" program is not expensive to execute: with Urea going for $17 per 50 lbs this year, the cost of a 1 lb/K application of Urea is $0.34 per 1,000 sq ft. For a 5,000 sq ft lawn, that means it costs $1.70 per week to execute. If you have 7 weeks to first frost plus a full-winterizing application, the entire program costs $15.30. Done properly on a lawn that has no other growth-limiting nutrient shortages, you will see a turf that becomes denser and darker. Yes, you will be mowing more.

RichS
Grass Type: TTTF/Rye

Post by RichS » August 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

I found it at my local Site One (Formerly John Deers Landscapes) shop. The one close to me is tucked back in an industrial area, selling mostly to pros - the sign out front actual says for professionals only, but they've always sold small quantities to me. I think it was $24 for 50lb.

https://www.siteone.com/home/locations.aspx

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 31st, 2017, 8:34 pm

I get it at my local grain mill/general farmer supply/Purina outlet. They kind of do it all. 'Round here, it's $12.50 for 50 pounds. Or it was in May; that could very well be down a bit. All other grain and incidentals prices are.

Generally, farmer's co-ops are a good bet, and Tractor Supply might or might not have it. Some places can order it for you. Generally, the more generally urban, the more expensive it'll be, but it's never outrageous.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » September 1st, 2017, 1:25 am

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been reading the forum on my phone and didn't notice that you're in Utah. I think I knew it at one point, but forgot.

If you've mentioned where in Northern Utah you live, I've forgotten.

Unlike many areas of the country, Ammonium Sulfate is generally readily available at the big box stores here. Since most people aren't aware of the late fall fertilization approach, they may even have started marking it down to clear shelf space. I've seen it at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart in the past, but I haven't been fertilizing since I've been trying to get the native grasses to take over.

I don't think the big box stores carry urea, but I don't really remember. I always used AS because I didn't trust myself not to burn with urea.

I know that the places that specialize in garden supplies carry it. J & L in Bountiful had it, but when I drove by the other day, they were going out of business (I need to stop by there before they shut down). I think J & J in Layton also carries it. There's another place in Layton that has it, but I forget the name and it's not coming up in my searches. Joe's Greenhouse in Kaysville may have it, but I gave up on them because their parking lot is too small.

You could try CAL and/or Petersen's in Layton. IFA has a bunch of locations Utah. I'm not sure if they carry it or not, but it's at least somewhat likely.

Pdrizzle

Post by Pdrizzle » September 1st, 2017, 12:21 pm

bpgreen wrote:
September 1st, 2017, 1:25 am
Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been reading the forum on my phone and didn't notice that you're in Utah. I think I knew it at one point, but forgot.

If you've mentioned where in Northern Utah you live, I've forgotten.

Unlike many areas of the country, Ammonium Sulfate is generally readily available at the big box stores here. Since most people aren't aware of the late fall fertilization approach, they may even have started marking it down to clear shelf space. I've seen it at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart in the past, but I haven't been fertilizing since I've been trying to get the native grasses to take over.

I don't think the big box stores carry urea, but I don't really remember. I always used AS because I didn't trust myself not to burn with urea.

I know that the places that specialize in garden supplies carry it. J & L in Bountiful had it, but when I drove by the other day, they were going out of business (I need to stop by there before they shut down). I think J & J in Layton also carries it. There's another place in Layton that has it, but I forget the name and it's not coming up in my searches. Joe's Greenhouse in Kaysville may have it, but I gave up on them because their parking lot is too small.

You could try CAL and/or Petersen's in Layton. IFA has a bunch of locations Utah. I'm not sure if they carry it or not, but it's at least somewhat likely.
Thank you for the reply! I will check IFA (there is one between my work and home) to see if they have Urea or AS. If I can't find it there I'll swing by the big box stores. Great memory by the way, yes I'm in Utah along the wasatch front. Thanks again!

Pdrizzle

Post by Pdrizzle » September 1st, 2017, 12:32 pm

andy10917 wrote:
August 31st, 2017, 3:29 pm
You need to re-read the very first posting in the Fall Nitrogen Regimens thread - here's the material there on brands, sources, etc says:
You will not find fast-release Urea and/or AS fertilizers at big-box stores - don't waste your time trying. The best sources are farm-supply stores and places where landscapers and golf courses shop. Urea and AS will not come with homeowner instructions - it will be in very plain unbranded paper or plastic bags. The "aggressive" program is not expensive to execute: with Urea going for $17 per 50 lbs this year, the cost of a 1 lb/K application of Urea is $0.34 per 1,000 sq ft. For a 5,000 sq ft lawn, that means it costs $1.70 per week to execute. If you have 7 weeks to first frost plus a full-winterizing application, the entire program costs $15.30. Done properly on a lawn that has no other growth-limiting nutrient shortages, you will see a turf that becomes denser and darker. Yes, you will be mowing more.
Thank you for refocusing my reading of this post...it is much appreciated. Thank you for the valuable post!

Pdrizzle

Post by Pdrizzle » September 1st, 2017, 12:34 pm

RichS wrote:
August 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm
I found it at my local Site One (Formerly John Deers Landscapes) shop. The one close to me is tucked back in an industrial area, selling mostly to pros - the sign out front actual says for professionals only, but they've always sold small quantities to me. I think it was $24 for 50lb.

https://www.siteone.com/home/locations.aspx
Excellent, thanks for the tip!

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Billybob » September 2nd, 2017, 6:11 pm

Do you have an Agway nearby? I buy everything there.if they don't have it they will gladly order. Some of the Site one places get a little pissy when asking for one bag. Or many the one by me is just run by D-bags

Pdrizzle

Post by Pdrizzle » September 5th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Billybob wrote:
September 2nd, 2017, 6:11 pm
Do you have an Agway nearby? I buy everything there.if they don't have it they will gladly order. Some of the Site one places get a little pissy when asking for one bag. Or many the one by me is just run by D-bags
Google search tells me no, we don't. I've never heard of them. Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.