2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: 2017: What did you do on your lawn today?

Post by Green » September 4th, 2017, 9:04 pm

Raked lowest 700-900 sq ft part of side with the Groundskeeper II rake, and mowed 3x with the bag on, ending at 2.25 in. Spread 1 cubic yard of bagged topsoil over two problem areas (I'm going to have a soil mismatch, as it had a lot of compost in it, but I wanted to get a bit of soil over some tree roots, and to fill a depression. Then spread seed. 6 lbs of TTTF seed (Firecracker SLS, No-Net/Flame, and Bullseye) and about 1/2 lb of KBG seed (America/Bewitched/Rugby II). Also, some CRF in the area right under the tree, feathered out a few feet.

Hand watered, but not on that area yet. Skipped watering of the overseed behind the deck, as I want to cut it tomorrow.

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by RockinMyLawn » September 4th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Started@ 10am Labor day:
1) Mowed @ 3" & bagged - took 8 bags of clippings
2) Mowed @ 3.5" & bagged any left over clippings
3) Lunch
4) Laid down Southern Belle Fescue @ 5.33 lbs/1K
5) Rolled the lawn
6) 30 minutes trying to figure out how to adjust one of the irrigation zone's left stop on the Rainbird 5000 sprinkler heads. Failed & went to look for youtube instructions & finally lucked into adjusting to desired stops.
7) Set 5 zones for 7 mins x3 per day & 4 zones for 5 mins x3 per day.
Finally, made a McDonald's run to get a larger soda & called it a day @ 5PM.

Fun but can always count on a hiccup to slow things down.

Green

Post by Green » September 5th, 2017, 9:55 pm

Mixed 0.17g of a ProSedge packet with NIS, and sprayed False Green Kyllinga (yes, that's a real plant) and yellow Nutsedge.

Tank mixed generic Primo and Tenacity with NIS, and sprayed overseed area 2 on lower side. Normally wouldn't tank mix, but was pressed for time and didn't know if rain was coming in a few hours.

Put down 7.6 cu ft of peat moss on the area, and still came up short. Technically I'll call today seed-down, because it didn't get any water until tonight with the rain, even though I put it down yesterday.

Mowed overseed behind deck for first time with manual reel mower. Took away sprinklers.

Hand watered seeded areas.

Mowed upper back, and bagged due to rust. Cleaned mower. Mowed low-input area. Decided to try side-discharge shoot for first time. It definitely increased the speed I could mow at. I guess it has its use.

Cleaned mower again, and mowed non-overseed parts of front. Still want to get the areas to be overseeded a little lower.

Green

Post by Green » September 5th, 2017, 10:15 pm

That was about 2.5oz/A rate for Tenacity. I believe it was the 2nd app on that area.

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Billybob » September 6th, 2017, 10:49 am

Day 6 .... no need to water today! Light rain all day

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » September 6th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Day 2 after overseeding kickoff on labor day:
1) Shampoo'd lawn for penultimate time.
2) Adjust irrigation to 4x5 mins per zone per day.

Does 140 mins per week sound like a lot to just keep the new seeds moist for 8 weeks??

Green

Post by Green » September 6th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Yesterday: Also mowed lower back (still at 3.75 in).

Today: Mowed/bagged areas to be overseeded on front at 2.75 in.

Put down Milorganite: 5 lbs on upper back except for overseeded area, with extra on areas most affected by rust. Also light Milorganite on main front from tree to curb, and parts of side front that won't be overseeded. First app of the late Summer for these areas.

Sprayed Hydretain ES Plus II on middle portion of low-input area, paying particular attention to application on straw-colored dormant areas.

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by bauer time » September 7th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Took the dogs for a walk this evening. Lawns are officially waking back up. Even yards that aren't well maintained all year are starting to boom. Fall is here in NJ.

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Jackpine » September 7th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Mowed lowering HOC a skosh. Taking it down sloow this year.

Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Oldschool » September 7th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Dropped my third dose of fall regimen urea. Watered immediately after.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Chris LI » September 7th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Mowed front at 3" (third time since lowering HOC from 3.5" two weeks ago). Mowed back at 2.5". Trimmed and cleaned up with the blower. Then I watched my Bewiched babies grow around the pavers for my new fire pit with a nice beer.

Green

Post by Green » September 7th, 2017, 11:00 pm

Hand watered overseed areas on side.

Raked (in prep for overseeding) about 2K on main front and side front with the Groundskeeper II rake (and dethatching rake on the sloped part of the side front area). Got rid of dead plant material. Mowed and bagged down to 2.25 in. Watered. Sprayed tank mixture of PGR (1oz over 2K) and Tenacity (1.75 tsp) with NIS.

Green

Post by Green » September 7th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Also: got 0.5 inch of rain yesterday (Sept. 6).

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 8th, 2017, 7:53 pm

The Bewitched bambinos are up, but it's likely that Irma will splatter my Key Largo winter home condo (top floor, corner) all over the southern half of Florida. And I was worried about washout from a thunderstorm. Oh well, so it's a half million dollar+ washout.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by PSU4ME » September 8th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Laid/threw 500# of black Kow around the yard. Cut at 3.25" an I feel that's too low, need to go back to 3.5".

Green

Post by Green » September 8th, 2017, 11:44 pm

andy10917 wrote:
September 8th, 2017, 7:53 pm
The Bewitched bambinos are up, but it's likely that Irma will splatter my Key Largo winter home condo (top floor, corner) all over the southern half of Florida. And I was worried about washout from a thunderstorm. Oh well, so it's a half million dollar+ washout.
Not cool. Personally, I'm thinking of everyone down there, relatives included...but I guess it's a good thing I'm still here, and not there as I had thought I would be at this time a few months ago. How high up is your place? 2nd floor or higher? So since I'm here, the overseeding continues...

-------------------------------------------

Today: Watered upper back zone for 1 hour and decided based on my catch can test again that I need to change a few more nozzles. Getting closer, though.

Aerated some areas in prep for overseeding (legit compaction in one small area (middle portion of side front), but since the aerator and help was hired, decided to do an extra 1.5K on main front that's also getting seed). Yeah, I know. Don't aerate areas that don't truly need it due to physical compaction. This will likely be the last time for this lawn.

Put down seed and Milorganite. After other overseeds in years past using too little seed, I think I've finally figured out how much to use...6-7 lbs/K of TTTF seed, and 0.5-0.75 lb/K of KBG seed. Also put down light to moderate Milorganite (maybe a half pound per thousand...trying something new this time, putting it down at the time of the overseed, in conjunction with the aeration). TTTF varieties included Firecracker SLS, Flame/No-Net, Titanium 2 LS, Bullseye, and Summer. KBG was my the usual mix...America, Bewitched, Rugby II...but heavier on the Bewitched on the side front.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 9th, 2017, 9:03 am

Not cool. Personally, I'm thinking of everyone down there, relatives included...but I guess it's a good thing I'm still here, and not there as I had thought I would be at this time a few months ago. How high up is your place? 2nd floor or higher?
4th floor - top floor, corner unit of most exposed building. A Category 4 storm will peel the roof like a can opener - the unit is 75 yds from the ocean and the first thing the wind hits since Cuba. Building was built in 1991, so pre-Andrew building codes, although attempts were made to supplement the roof quality. "Wilma" caused an overpressure situation in 2005 that popped a sheet of drywall and laid it on the couch with no other damage. That was at 75 mph.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 9th, 2017, 10:13 am

andy10917 wrote:
September 9th, 2017, 9:03 am
4th floor - top floor, corner unit of most exposed building. A Category 4 storm will peel the roof like a can opener - the unit is 75 yds from the ocean and the first thing the wind hits since Cuba. Building was built in 1991, so pre-Andrew building codes, although attempts were made to supplement the roof quality. "Wilma" caused an overpressure situation in 2005 that popped a sheet of drywall and laid it on the couch with no other damage. That was at 75 mph.
Ouch. That doesn't sound too hopeful for having your damages be minimal. At least you and your family are in a safe place in NY instead of in Key Largo! It's little consolation, but at the end of the day, it's just stuff. I hope your insurer covers the financial damages, giving you the flexibility to decide how to proceed after the storm passes through.

Powhatan

Post by Powhatan » September 9th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Overseed day 14. Varied growth, .25" to ~2" tall fescue with hybrid bluegrass. I'm guessing the bluegrass probably has not germinated yet, maybe another week?

Day 3 had 5.3" rain that moved the seeds around and generally bunched them together so that's how the seedings are coming up, in groups. The front yard is the overall shortest growth, the new home construction sand/clay soil is not nutrient optimal yet (work-in-progress), that's where I put compost down to help with the overseed. Just trying to keep soil moist with hand watering and rain. Yard gets a mix of sun and shade during the day, but front yard probably gets more overall sun.

Back yard with tallest growth
Front yard with shortest growth

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » September 9th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Most KBG should have widespread germination by day 14.