Brown Patch Treatment Success

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Jason1604
Grass Type: Front: 2016 Reno, Cochise IV, Bullseye, LS100 TTTF.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Brown Patch Treatment Success

Post by Jason1604 » June 12th, 2018, 10:39 am

I haven't posted in a long time, but thought this might be helpful:

Weather in central Illinois has been in generally in the upper 80's low to mid-90's with lows in the 70's with dew points from 68-75 since the last third of May. I didn't get my preventative fungicide program started early enough and got a moderate outbreak of Brown Patch on my TTTF front lawn. (Not Pythium Blight) as confirmed through identification from University of Illinois Turf Science Dept.

Weather has continued to be hot and humid and we have had about 7 inches of rain the past week from thunderstorms. With all this being said, about a two weeks ago I applied Heritage G at a little above curative rate (4 lbs/1000) and propiconizole (14.3 %) at the same time per someone at University of Illinois. I believe Headway combines both of those A.I.'s. Not only has this kept the Brown Patch at bay, I now have places recovering already....even though the turf is growing very slowly due to the heat. I plan to repeat this app every 10-14 days if this weather continues.

I have always been a bi-weekly Milo user, but have not applied any N since the the weather turned hot and will not fertilize until weather turns cooler and less humid. My mower deck is at 3 inches, as 3.5 left more leaf blade to collect dew.

Yes, the Heritage is expensive, but worth it. I bought generic 14.3% Propiconizole from Amazon for about 20 bucks for a quart. At the rate I used and mixed into a gallon sprayer, this will last me a long time. I plan to rotate these every two weeks and see if the success continues.

There are lots of fungicides, and even more things to read online. Just thought I'd share what worked well for me. Fingers crossed I make it through August!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Brown Patch Treatment Success

Post by Green » June 12th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Great post, Jason! Glad you're having success.

To anyone duplicating this approach: Just make sure you read and abide by the Headway/Heritage/Propiconzole labels as far as repeat apps and rotation are concerned!

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by nclawnguy » June 12th, 2018, 4:39 pm

:good:

Jason1604

Post by Jason1604 » June 12th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Green wrote:
June 12th, 2018, 4:33 pm
Great post, Jason! Glad you're having success.

To anyone duplicating this approach: Just make sure you read and abide by the Headway/Heritage/Propiconzole labels as far as repeat apps and rotation are concerned!
Headway contains a lot less than the 14.3% Propi, but exactly the same amount of active ingredient in Heritage. The AIs are from different classes and, depending on what study you read, both have medium risks of immunity. To be honest, I cannot say if the combo of 14.3%Propi and Heritage did the trick or if one would have been as effective. Syngenta actually labels Heritage to go as high as 7lbs./1000 if necessary, but I put down about 5.5 lbs. per 1000.

I may keep updating the post throughout the summer. From here on out I am going to simply rotate every two weeks instead of putting down my own Headway concoction. Looking at the long term forecast, temps are to be low 90's/70's with high dew points. I would expect this trend to continue into July and August, so if I can keep the BP at bay with this regimen, I think I have a winner...for this summer at least. As you know, it will be something else next year! I wish I would have taken more before/after pics because it is truly remarkable the recovery in a short period of time. I literally see green/lesion-free grass coming up from the crowns in the once bad spots.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » June 23rd, 2018, 11:32 am

I'm also in Central IL and noticed a fungus a few days ago. I'm pretty sure it's brown patch. All 5 of our neighbors also have it. I think it might've started about a week ago though.

As of now I have decided not to treat. I still have some bare spots from my reno due to getting hit with a fungus last fall so have to spot seed anyways. If it gets real bad I might treat it but have been hoping to stay away from fungicides unless I have to. Luckily the temps have cooled down so I'm hoping it goes away for now.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 25th, 2018, 10:44 am

Well done, Jason! :clapping:

I think curing a major fungus issue without long term damage is a much more difficult thing to do then get grass growing, personally!

bentleyvt
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by bentleyvt » June 26th, 2018, 1:37 pm

Jason - can you provide the link to which generic 14.3% Propiconizole product you bought off Amazon?

I've been battling some brown patch since mid-May. I won the first round after applying a blanket spray of Armada 50 WDG and a week later spot spraying trouble areas. I put Milo down at half rate a week ago and regret it as disease has started to come back. It may have come back on its own, but Milo probably speed it up a bit. Sunday I put down Heritage at 3 lbs/1000 sq ft, and then threw a little extra down in problem areas. I'm hoping to see improvement soon.

In central VA, various fungicides need to be part of my summer arsenal because the evening storms and humid, hot weather promote disease every year. I'm always looking for generic's to help the wallet!! :)

Jason1604

Post by Jason1604 » July 5th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Jason1604

Post by Jason1604 » July 5th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Weather has still been in the 90's with dew points as high as 80 on a regular basis. I am happy to say that, other than two small spots, I've kept brown patch at bay. I've read some literature out of Clemson Univ. that recommends Headway (Heritage + propiconizole) since resistance seems to lesson with the two modes of action combined. Obviously, this is only my own experience, but my turf is gorgeous even without fertilizing and using the combo of Heritage and Propi. (My own Headway). And now that Scotts released their cheaper version of Heritage, I am even happier!

Coop_V
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by Coop_V » July 7th, 2018, 8:55 am

The AI in heritage is Azoxystrobin. You can buy it to be mixed called "Strobe". This is what I will be rotating with propiconazole this summer. A study I read put Azoxystrobin as the very best fungicide there is with very little chance of immunity. It's pricey but if you do the math it's alot cheaper than buying bags of heritage.

https://www.domyown.com/strobe-50wg-p-1 ... U1EALw_wcB

Jason1604

Post by Jason1604 » July 7th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Coop_V wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 8:55 am
The AI in heritage is Azoxystrobin. You can buy it to be mixed called "Strobe". This is what I will be rotating with propiconazole this summer. A study I read put Azoxystrobin as the very best fungicide there is with very little chance of immunity. It's pricey but if you do the math it's alot cheaper than buying bags of heritage.

Thanks! I'm assuming that study is the .31% as well. What's interesting is that there is a lot of conflicting research out there. I've read lots that say that resistance to Azoxystrobin is extremely high. It's more than likely why Syngenta went ahead and combined Azoxystrobin and propiconizole when making Headway.

Question: Do you personally tank mix a contact fungicide with Propiconizole (which is systemic?) The label on the generic 14.3% I use says to tank mix with a contact fungicide for maximum results on Brown Patch.

https://www.domyown.com/strobe-50wg-p-1 ... U1EALw_wcB

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 7th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Coop_V wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 8:55 am
The AI in heritage is Azoxystrobin...
Another alternative for Azoxystrobin which is less pricey than Heritage is the new Scotts DiseaseEx product (new for 2018). It's available at big box stores everywhere (Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) and is about $16 for a bag which treats 5ksqft at preventative rate and 2.5ksqft at curative rate: https://www.scotts.com/en-us/products/i ... -fungicide

Hopefully some generic versions of this will become available before long at lower prices now that Azoxystrobin is off-patent.

Coop_V
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by Coop_V » July 7th, 2018, 5:48 pm

What I'm doing is spraying strobe once a month and propiconazole once a month, 2 weeks apart. This is my first time using this method so well see what happens because my lawn got a big hit last summer late August - Sept from disease. My lawn is 38k sq ft so still the granule would be a hefty price.

STL

Post by STL » July 8th, 2018, 2:15 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Hopefully some generic versions of this will become available before long at lower prices now that Azoxystrobin is off-patent.
Abound is the cheapest azoxystrobin by far I've found. Only downsides are the jug is large, so it may be best for those with larger lawns, and it's a suspended concentrate formulation with a milkshake-like consistency making it a bit more challenging to work with. It's working well for me so far though.

viewtopic.php?t=22708

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » July 8th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Thanks for this tread, I have started seeing the beginning of brown patch with the heat wave we got early this year. I have been spraying serenade and companion since May.

If I drop something like azoxystrobin, does that undo all the work I did this year with the preventive program?

McLovin
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » July 8th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Here is a note from a smart fellow:
tiemco wrote:Has anyone ever looked at the literature regarding the results of turf fungicides on soil fungal populations? Well I have, and I think I am the only one. Seems like the idea that fungicides completely destroy the soil microherd is basically doctrine on BL/ATY, unfortunately it's not true. There are plenty of published studies showing that most fungicides have little to no effect on soil populations, and when they do, the rebound is generally very rapid. In some studies you will actually see an increase of soil bacteria. A good majority of fungicides are systemic, which means they are incorporated into the actual plant, with very little soil interaction. Many of the newer fungicides available are much more targeted as well, thus reducing collateral damage. The strobilurins (Heritage, Disarm, et. al) are derived from chemicals released from naturally occuring fungi, sort of like how Tenacity was developed. Most turf fungicides are used in very small amounts, and generally don't penetrate the soil to a great extent. Let's take Disarm G, a fairly new stobilurin fungicide. At 2-4 lbs. per thousand you are actually using .08 - .16 ounces of fungicide per 1000. A good portion of that will enter the plant, and the rest will probably just sit on the top of the soil until it degrades or is consumed by bacteria. Also many fungicides are not terribly water soluble, so soil penetration is generally low. Here are a few studies for anyone who wants to read up on this:

http://www2.gcsaa.org/GCM/2006/oct/pdfs ... gicide.pdf
This one uses crops, but still a useful study http://www.planthealthcare.com/pdf/Myco ... 8-2009.pdf
http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/pe ... Spokas.pdf
http://www.sustech.edu/staff_publicatio ... 456213.pdf

Now I am not advocating using fungicides every 2-4 weeks during the growing season, but when the weather and conditions become very favorable for fungal disease, an application or two of fungicide can go a long way in reducing the risk and damage of pathogens, with no to little harm to the soil biology.
All I can say is I have used chemical fungicides (Disarm M which has Fluoxastrobin and Myclobutanil) during the summer for BP and I still see mushrooms in the lawn.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » July 8th, 2018, 7:18 pm

It does some damage, but you have to base your decision on whether the yard is likely to be really damaged. There is a time for chemical fungicides, much as there is is a time when a really bad flu outbreak threatens lives. You have to make the call, but after Year 1 I find the probability of a fungal attack drops a lot.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » July 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm

The backyard is year one, I may give it another week. I see some of the grass recovering in spots since it cooled down and I watered. The problem is more heat is on the way.

I had been stretching watering out to almost 1” weekly, because I want the POA to die and I used up my 16oz of tenacity this spring. I’m going to stick to 1/2” twice a week, disease seems like a bigger threat right now.

I also noticed my blades need sharpening. Maybe the few spots will grow out if it. I have the disease-x on hand if I need It.

Jason1604

Post by Jason1604 » July 10th, 2018, 11:32 am

Since originally posting this thread, I have had very minimal disease pressure even though temps have been generally 90's/70's with high dew points of close to 80. Fast forward to today. The latest wave of brutal humidity about a week ago has brought a small outbreak even though I have been applying azoxystrobin and propiconizole every two weeks. I am all about assessing variables in the turf management game and am wondering if the Merit I applied late June/Early July has something to do with the current disease outbreak. The Merit had a low dose of N. I had stopped dropping any N late May and have been cutting at 3" with a newly sharpened blade each time. Rainfall has been decent and have not used my irrigation system for a month and a half. What's more interesting is that the areas with BP browning started in a fairly straight line, almost as if I had accidentally overlapped my drop spreader when applying the Merit.

Not sure if the little amount of N caused a small outbreak, but overall the turf is still very nice. It will be interesting going forward to see if I have reached resistance on the fungicides. Long term forecasts are favoring rain but with a little less humidity. We shall see.

**On a side note. One of the disadvantages of having dark green turf is that disease damage shows much more with the contrast. I often walked by or drove by lawns that, at first sight, had no damage. But if you look closely, you'll see lots of damaged lawns. The lighter color of the turf masks damage a lot better.