Chapin's new 20V Backpack Sprayer

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
krjay5
Grass Type: Northern Mix (for now)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Chapin's new 20V Backpack Sprayer

Post by krjay5 » August 19th, 2016, 11:12 pm

Jet.com with the new user sign up code they advertise on their site: TRIPLE15

edit: I was a few days late to reply but the price is still accurate.

umbo514
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by umbo514 » February 4th, 2019, 3:20 pm

I see that this topic has been quiet for a while but I was looking to see how the Chapin 63985 has been holding up over the years. I’ve seen some recent reviews of battery issues and I wanted to hear from some of the ATY members. I also have seen that Chapin has created an updated version, Chapin 63924. It looks like it has similar stats and the major difference is the battery, being 24 volts instead of the black and decker 20 volt. Again, if anyone has information about these they would like to share or their experience with them I would appreciate it. Thanks

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Level: Experienced

Post by agn015 » February 4th, 2019, 9:50 pm

I’ve seen online reviews of battery issues as well as others complaining about the pump leaking. I’ve been wondering if those bad reviews are from a bad batch of sprayers that slipped through quality? It will be interesting to see if any other owners chime in with input.

I bought my Chapin 63985 back in June of 2017 from Walmart and haven’t had any issues with it. Now that I say that this will be the year it fails me...

It’s my first and only backpack sprayer so I can’t compare it to anything else but I like it so much I look for excuses to use it. I’ve used it to spray dimension, tenacity, serenade, BLSC and kelp help. I use it every 10 days or so during the growing season.

I always triple rinse when I’m done making sure to rinse through the pump and wand. I’ve never had the battery die but I still charge it about once a month during the season and store the battery indoors for winter. I also don’t store the battery in the sprayer between uses. I remove it from the sprayer and store it in a drawer.

Occasionally the filter in the spray wand gets clogged with humic acid grains but other than that it’s a great sprayer for my yard. I have it paired with the same nozzles that grass daddy recommended in one of his YouTube videos. One for soil and one for foliar applications. I’ve even recommended it to friends based on my experience with it.

umbo514

Post by umbo514 » February 5th, 2019, 7:51 am

agn015, thanks for sharing. I too was assuming the same with a slip in quality control, because I've seen so many other positive reviews. The 2 year warranty is also a good period of time to address battery/pump issues, if need be. Your experience makes me more inclined to pull the trigger... plus I found it for 15% off at rakuten and that deal ends today.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » February 18th, 2019, 11:02 pm

umbo514 wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 3:20 pm
I see that this topic has been quiet for a while but I was looking to see how the Chapin 63985 has been holding up over the years. I’ve seen some recent reviews of battery issues and I wanted to hear from some of the ATY members.
Congrats on your purchase. I've had one for a bit, and it's been mostly good so far. Sometimes the flow rate drops down too far, and I want to find a way to reduce the overall pressure because it mists, but other than those things, so far so good. I've heard some say not to use dissolvable solutes in it due to the potential for clogging with a pump of that design, but sometimes you have to. I guess I will make sure I rinse it extra well after using such a product.

umbo514

Post by umbo514 » February 19th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Thanks Green! Excited to use it. I made my decision after reading a lot of reviews; what stood out was Chapin's customer service and honoring their warranty. I've read that mixing dissolvable solutes outside of the tank first makes for a better experience. If the pump is really sensitive and for longevity, I plan on using filtered well water (eliminate the possibility of sand/iron wear). For now, I just need to get my walking speed calibrated.

Green

Post by Green » February 19th, 2019, 7:49 pm

umbo514 wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 2:31 pm
I've read that mixing dissolvable solutes outside of the tank first makes for a better experience. If the pump is really sensitive and for longevity, I plan on using filtered well water (eliminate the possibility of sand/iron wear). For now, I just need to get my walking speed calibrated.
Thanks for the tips. How do you plan to mix your solutions, exactly? The pre-M I'm using this year is a dissolvable solute (I think that's what "dry flowable" means...correct me if I'm wrong, as I've only ever used granular pre-Ms before, other than Tenacity). I do not want to clog the sprayer. Edit: uh oh...sounds like "DF" never actually dissolves...hmmm.

umbo514

Post by umbo514 » February 20th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Some of the cons I’m reading about DF’s is they’re abrasive to sprayers and they leave a residue. Both of those attributes would make me hesitant to using the 20 v for the application. Maybe you could reach out to a Chapin engineer?

Green

Post by Green » February 21st, 2019, 7:40 pm

umbo514 wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 10:23 pm
Some of the cons I’m reading about DF’s is they’re abrasive to sprayers and they leave a residue. Both of those attributes would make me hesitant to using the 20 v for the application.
I don't think I'm going to chance it. The handheld pump sprayer is a lot more labor, but I think I'll look into a constant pressure valve for it.