Seed to soil contact after killing off existing turf

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Seed to soil contact after killing off existing turf

Post by Green » May 28th, 2019, 11:28 pm

schreibdave wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 9:36 am
- Is the low growth habit of Bewitched notably different than what I have experienced with my northern mix and all PR lawns?
A bit different. Comparing PR to Bewitched, the PR tends this time of year to grow faster and more vigorously. That will change over the next month once the PR starts trying to seed and gets stalky and thins out.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 29th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Also, isn't preferred seed in Buffalo? Fantastic city, good seed source for affordable, small quantities.

I wouldnt do PR or TTTF up there as much snow cover they get. Hellooooooo winter kill and snow mold etc

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » May 30th, 2019, 10:34 am

Yes, they are in Buffalo. Their web site says that they dont ship to Onondaga County where I live. I would either need to buy from a local retailer (site doesn't say who they are) or presumably drive out and get it. Manageable either way.

If I decided to go with a KBG mix is there one that people recommend? Full sun, brutal winters, about 13K sqft. Thanks

EddieN26
Grass Type: Bewitched Front / Mixed KBG Back
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by EddieN26 » June 12th, 2019, 9:11 am

I appreciate your thread schreibdave as I am now dealing with a bit of a fungal attack on my 2018 Fall Bewitched reno. The advice given here regarding the plan of attack is spot on, and Hoosier advised me in the right direction the same way Andy suggested not to lollygag when disease rears its ugly head. Other than this one issue I'm stoked about how fast this elite cultivar established and how well it performs. I'm excited to see its best years as the quality only gets better from here. You certainly won't be disappointed!