Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - "War on Triv"

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - "War on Triv"

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 13th, 2019, 8:10 pm

andy10917 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 5:58 pm
Nice!! Where do you think you are now vs the original title "War on Triv"? I need a fix of "we're winning the battle" from someone - is it you?
I'm hoping that we are winning the battle against poa trivialis, but I'm scared to start thinking that, as poa trivialis seems to have a way to sneak up on lawn owners. I haven't yet identified any of it in the renovated area, however, I don't know if it's just me, or a seasonal thing, but I have a difficult time positively identifying poa trivialis until it gets to be a saucer-sized patch. During early spring, it is difficult for me to distinguish from the rest of my lawn. By late spring, the lighter color gives it away, but by then, the patches can be pretty big. I do know that now, when I identify a patch of poa trivialis, I'm going to try to never wait until later to deal with it -- every day it is allowed to continue growing is a bad day for the good grass!

A few of the renovated areas which had water puddling in them due to build-up of blue-green algae preventing water percolating into the soil and then ended up sparsely populated with KBG have had poa annua spring up in them, but that is readily identifiable right now due to seedheads, so I've been pulling that manually to try to keep ahead of it. Hopefully poa annua is the worst of the problems this year.

However, I'm anticipating that some poa trivialis will spring up again eventually. We're going to remain vigilant and be proactive to kill, cut out, and replace any poa trivialis as soon as we identify any!

I'll try to get some more current photos up, but playing catch-up in too many areas of life right now...

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - More Early Spring Photos

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 13th, 2019, 9:40 pm

This post shows our second set of "lawn photos" of spring 2019, a week after the prior set. As of when these photos were taken on 14 April 2019, the lawn was a little more awake than the prior week, but still mostly just thinking about greening up.

Mailbox View as of 2019-04-14 (Day 233):

Lamp Post View as of 2019-04-14 (Day 233):

Far End as of 2019-04-14 (Day 233):

FF Thinning Area as of 2019-04-14:

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 13th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Well I guess its good you see no triv yet. Kill kill kill!!!

That's going to tighten up nicely!

ken-n-nancy

Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - Yet More Spring Photos

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 15th, 2019, 8:34 am

This post shows our third set of "lawn photos" of spring 2019, a week after the prior set. Almost all waking up as of when these photos were taken on 21 April 2019, but still some spots here and there that haven't greened up yet. Notice that none of the deciduous trees have leaves yet, and the liliac bushes (last photo) are just showing a few unraveling baby leaves. Spring comes late up here in New Hampshire!

Mailbox View as of 2019-04-21 (Day 240):

Lamp Post View as of 2019-04-21 (Day 240):

Far End as of 2019-04-21 (Day 240):

FF Thinning Area as of 2019-04-21:

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 15th, 2019, 8:38 am

A few weeks ago, also took a photo of our magnolia at essentially "peak bloom."

Magnolia Blooming as of 2019-04-21:

ken-n-nancy

Ken-n-Nancy's Lawn Journal - Early May Photos after 2018 Fall Renovation

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 15th, 2019, 11:20 am

This post finally catches us up to the current week of lawn photos, with this set taken on 12 May 2019. All the grass seems to be awake now, but the renovated KBG in the front lawn (Bewitched & Prosperity) hasn't shown significant growth yet -- not yet enough new growth to be worth mowing.

Part of me is disappointed that the KBG is not growing faster. Another part of me thinks this bodes well -- isn't slower vertical growth some of the reason for choosing a "compact" grass type? ;)

I do think the grass looks a bit nitrogen-starved; there are a few small sections where the grass is really taking off in patterns that look like they may have received fertilizer overlap in the fall. I speculate that the decomposition of the multitude of grass roots from the former turf may be tying up the nitrogen in the soil, leaving insufficient nutrients for the new grass. I'm planning to drop additional nitrogen fertilizer, probably via a combination of Bay State Fertilizer and urea, in a few days, along with other soil amendments based upon soil test results.

You'll note from these photos that only about half of the deciduous trees are starting to produce immature leaves. Other types (e.g. the white oaks) aren't ready for new leaves yet. Even the lilac bushes don't yet have full foliage, although future flower stalks are developing. Our springtime lawn definitely runs way behind those of most other cool season folks on this site, but that means that even after most of you are going into summer "survival mode," we can continue fertilizing about a month later into summer.

Mailbox View as of 2019-05-12 (Day 261):

Lamp Post View as of 2019-05-12 (Day 261:

Far End as of 2019-05-12 (Day 261):

FF Thinning Area as of 2019-05-12:

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » May 15th, 2019, 11:36 am

Extremely slow vertical growth of KBG the first spring after a renovation is common. The grass will show more vertical growth in a month or two. In my experience, it can take until late June, depending on your local conditions.

The slow growth is temporary. Growing KBG is a long-term thing. You won’t see the grass’ true color until this fall, at The earliest. You won’t see it’s best density for two years.

That’s not to say it won’t be dense compared to other grasses. You just won’t see the “walking on a mattress” feeling that you only get with KBG (at least with northern grass types) until the 2nd year.

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 15th, 2019, 11:51 am

turf_toes wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 11:36 am
Extremely slow vertical growth of KBG the first spring after a renovation is common. The grass will show more vertical growth in a month or two. In my experience, it can take until late June, depending on your local conditions.
Thanks, turf_toes, for sharing your experience and providing some encouragement!

I'll try to be careful not to push the grass beyond what it wants to do naturally. I think I got into trouble with that with my 2015 Bewitched KBG renovation when I applied too much fertilizer too far into summer and ended up having fungus problems in late summer / early fall, likely brought on partly by having too much young, fast-growing, long-cut KBG during a hot, humid spell in late August.

Yes, I'm definitely seeing the "first year light color" in the Bewitched KBG. It is especially obvious in the re-seeded patches in my established Bewitched KBG monostand on the side yard -- the new Bewitched almost hast he color of the poa trivialis that was cut out and replaced! ;)

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand

Post by Paul » May 15th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Looking good Ken-n-Nancy. If you can keep the Poa and other grassy weeds out, you have won the battle. The thickening and color will come easily.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by KBGkicksazz » May 19th, 2019, 7:24 am

Have you considered the Philes program?

Your lawn seems to be pretty well filled in so the TOP growth should come.

We’ve got a month of cooler weather until peak summer heat comes so you’ve got a window of time to play with.

I’ve used mostly synthetic thus far but mid June I’ll put down milo and back off on fert.

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 19th, 2019, 7:37 am

KBGkicksazz wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 7:24 am

We’ve got a month of cooler weather until peak summer heat comes so you’ve got a window of time to play with.
On the renovated front lawn, the first fertilizer, a mix of Bay State and urea, went down on May 7th (after I had seen signs of green-up everywhere). I made another slightly lighter application on May 17th, and am planning one more in two more weeks (around June 4th), depending upon what the grass does between now and then.

I also plan to start on preventative Serenade biofungicide treatments soon -- my jug of Serenade just arrived in the mail yesterday!

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » May 19th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Where did you buy your serenade from?
ken-n-nancy wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 7:37 am
KBGkicksazz wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 7:24 am

On the renovated front lawn, the first fertilizer, a mix of Bay State and urea, went down on May 7th (after I had seen signs of green-up everywhere). I made another slightly lighter application on May 17th, and am planning one more in two more weeks (around June 4th), depending upon what the grass does between now and then.

I also plan to start on preventative Serenade biofungicide treatments soon -- my jug of Serenade just arrived in the mail yesterday!

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 19th, 2019, 2:06 pm

KBGkicksazz wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 1:08 pm
In past years, I've purchased it from Amazon, one quart at a time, when it was on big discount sale for about $12-13 per quart, from a normal price of about $17 per quart. However, I haven't seen those big discounts at all this year.

Since I also have more square footage to cover this year, with more newly-renovated KBG for which I'd like to stay ahead of fungus, I sprung for a 2.5 gallon jug from Seven Springs Farm, which was $96.00 plus $21.99 shipping, for a total of $117.99 for 10 quarts, making it a little less than $12 per quart. https://www.7springsfarm.com/serenade-b ... -5-gallon/

I'll probably make the first preventative application in the next couple days.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » May 19th, 2019, 6:36 pm

With the high fert rate for 2019 I’ll grab some so I don’t get fungus wiping out all my work.

I’ve seen grasshoppers and crickets around my lawn but have never seen an earthworm yet so I don’t want to get into fungicides and microberd or insect killing products if I don’t have too.
ken-n-nancy wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 2:06 pm
KBGkicksazz wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 1:08 pm
In past years, I've purchased it from Amazon, one quart at a time, when it was on big discount sale for about $12-13 per quart, from a normal price of about $17 per quart. However, I haven't seen those big discounts at all this year.

Since I also have more square footage to cover this year, with more newly-renovated KBG for which I'd like to stay ahead of fungus, I sprung for a 2.5 gallon jug from Seven Springs Farm, which was $96.00 plus $21.99 shipping, for a total of $117.99 for 10 quarts, making it a little less than $12 per quart. https://www.7springsfarm.com/serenade-b ... -5-gallon/

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 19th, 2019, 8:15 pm

You can get the same AI on the shelf at big box stores in a pinch, probably for more per volume. It's something like Natria as I recall.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » May 20th, 2019, 5:42 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 2:06 pm
...I sprung for a 2.5 gallon jug from Seven Springs Farm, which was $96.00 plus $21.99 shipping, for a total of $117.99 for 10 quarts, making it a little less than $12 per quart.

I ordered mine today for the exact same price. I won't be able to apply in the next couple of days...rain and wind have been keeping me from being able to spray anything, and I have lots of spraying that needs to get done...including my Tenacity experiment final round!

ken-n-nancy

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation -- Spring 2019 Photos

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 30th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Once again, we've fallen behind on lawn photos. These are photos from 10 days ago, on 19 May 2019, one week after the prior photos. The grass is all awake, but the renovated KBG in the front lawn (Bewitched & Prosperity) still hasn't grown enough to mow yet.

The grass seems to be responding well to the nitrogen that I applied - some patches have gotten beyond greening up and are showing new spring growth. I can't wait for it all to grow vigorously and start to fill in the bare spots. It's so hard to be patient!

Most of the trees now have leaves and the lilac bushes are developing flowers, but aren't really in bloom yet. At least all the pollen from the trees hasn't covered everything in yellow yet!

Mailbox View as of 2019-05-19 (Day 268):

Lamp Post View as of 2019-05-19 (Day 268):

Far End as of 2019-05-19 (Day 268):

FF Thinning Area as of 2019-05-19:

ken-n-nancy

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - It's Growing Now!

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 31st, 2019, 7:03 am

What a difference another week makes!

The "slow to green up in spring" Bewitched & Prosperity has now finally awoken and is growing. I do think the lawn had been nitrogen deficient; having remedied that with fertilizer has enabled it to be growing pretty much everywhere!

Color is still spotty with slightly different maturity and growth rates throughout the renovated area, but I dare say that will balance out by the end of June.

Now I just hope the bare spots will fill in fast -- there's already been some progress in that area, and I know that historically June is about the best month of the year for growing grass in my lawn. This month is the fun one for lawn care in New Hampshire!

Mailbox View as of 2019-05-28 (Day 277):

Lamp Post View as of 2019-05-28 (Day 277):

Far End as of 2019-05-28 (Day 277):

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » May 31st, 2019, 12:29 pm

It’s looking good. Now that we’ve gotten more sun and less rain should help getting the growth going as well.

Are you going to follow a Philes regimen?

My lawn has been growing pretty vigorously I’m mowing every 5 days now. However, I’ve been applying consistent 1/2 doses of fert. One more round and I’ll give the lawn a break on fert as temps ride.
ken-n-nancy wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 7:03 am
What a difference another week makes!

The "slow to green up in spring" Bewitched & Prosperity has now finally awoken and is growing. I do think the lawn had been nitrogen deficient; having remedied that with fertilizer has enabled it to be growing pretty much everywhere!

Color is still spotty with slightly different maturity and growth rates throughout the renovated area, but I dare say that will balance out by the end of June.

Now I just hope the bare spots will fill in fast -- there's already been some progress in that area, and I know that historically June is about the best month of the year for growing grass in my lawn. This month is the fun one for lawn care in New Hampshire!

Mailbox View as of 2019-05-28 (Day 277):

Lamp Post View as of 2019-05-28 (Day 277):

Far End as of 2019-05-28 (Day 277):

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 3rd, 2019, 7:33 pm

KBGkicksazz wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 12:29 pm
It’s looking good. ...
Thanks!
KBGkicksazz wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 12:29 pm
Are you going to follow a Philes regimen?
Yes, I'm trying to supply the new KBG with all the fertilizer it seems to want, as gauged by seeing areas which are underfertilized. So far, I haven't given it as much as it wants, as there's still significant areas which look underfertilized compared to other sections.

However, I'm trying to be wary of applying too much fertilizer. I got into trouble with fungus on our Bewitched KBG side lawn at the end of the first summer after renovating it in 2015, which I think was partly due to overfertilizing and overapplying, combined with a hot and humid stretch. I'm going to try to avoid the overfertilizing and overapplying this year, along with following a proactive biofungicide regimen.

Total N applied this year on the renovated front lawn so far is 1.5#N/ksqft, and there's still areas which look N-hungry. I'm planning another 0.5#/ksqft later this week to the renovated area.

The established side lawn and back lawn haven't received as much fertilizer.