Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - "War on Triv"

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - "War on Triv"

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 3rd, 2019, 8:47 pm

This afternoon, I (Ken) went out to work on some lawn chores. After a while, Nancy came out when she saw me going back and forth with the sprayer and asked me, "Are you spraying muddy water on the lawn?"

Yes, today was our first Serenade treatment. ;)

I had been planning for 3oz/ksqft, but ended up applying at a heavier rate (32 ounces over about 8400sqft, so about 3.8oz/ksqft) due to re-learning the calibration of our Earthway S25 sprayer and trying to refine my technique. I really like using Serenade to refine sprayer technique -- there doesn't seem to be any harm to the grass from an overapplication, so it's a lot easier to refine technique and strive for uniformity while spraying something for which mistakes don't cause any real harm -- well other than to the pocketbook.

For the next Serenade application in 2 weeks, I'll be better prepared to achieve my target of 3 oz/ksqft.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 3rd, 2019, 10:15 pm

I've never seen ill effects from applying lots of serenade either. Pretty safe to test calibration with, albeit expensive perhaps.

My olfactory senses always praised me when I applied it with milo and or kelp help 👌🤣

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 8th, 2019, 11:15 am

Looking at the newly-renovated lawn during this prior week to 10 days or so, one can definitely see gentle bands where some areas received more fertilizer than others - some bands look a medium green instead of the dark green that Bewitched & Prosperity KBG should look like in the spring. I think this is a clear indication that the lawn hasn't been getting all of the nitrogen that it wants. Reviewing my lawn log, I have been maybe a bit more conservative than one should on a first-spring KBG lawn.

So, fertilized today to provide about 0.67#N/ksqft. Hopefully this will get the entire lawn up to uniform coloration -- got a graduation party coming up a week from today and would like for it to look nice!

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 8th, 2019, 3:27 pm

I’ve been on the other end being hard on the throttle with fert.

Now I’m really hitting the antifungals so I don’t shoot myself in the foot.

ken-n-nancy wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 11:15 am
Looking at the newly-renovated lawn during this prior week to 10 days or so, one can definitely see gentle bands where some areas received more fertilizer than others - some bands look a medium green instead of the dark green that Bewitched & Prosperity KBG should look like in the spring. I think this is a clear indication that the lawn hasn't been getting all of the nitrogen that it wants. Reviewing my lawn log, I have been maybe a bit more conservative than one should on a first-spring KBG lawn.

So, fertilized today to provide about 0.67#N/ksqft. Hopefully this will get the entire lawn up to uniform coloration -- got a graduation party coming up a week from today and would like for it to look nice!

ken-n-nancy

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - Early June Photos

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 9th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Today's photos show that the renovated lawn continues to improve. The sparse areas are less noticeable from a distance, but still very apparent when actually standing in them.

As mentioned above, I fertilized yesterday, but the effect of the additional fertilizer hasn't yet shown in the grass. I'm hoping that the "pale stripes" from previous uneven fertilizer application will be gone in a few days, but only time will tell.

Still hopefully that this will look pretty good in a few more weeks -- our lawn tends to peak for the year right around the 4th of July weekend, so there's only a few weeks of prime time left!

I'm disappointed with the bare spots right on the cobblestone edge, but I know those will fill in soon enough -- generally the problem is the grass trying to grow out over the tops of the cobblestones -- it's just a matter of time! Be patient, grasshopper!

Mailbox View as of 2019-06-09 (Day 289):

Lamp Post View as of 2019-06-09 (Day 289):

Far End as of 2019-06-09 (Day 289):

Closer View of Sparse Spots and Pale Stripes as of 2019-06-09 (Day 289):

kentster
Grass Type: Northern mix

Post by kentster » June 9th, 2019, 9:28 pm

The grass is great and all, but is that a Triumph TR-6 in the garage? I love that car!

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 9th, 2019, 10:04 pm

kentster wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 9:28 pm
The grass is great and all, but is that a Triumph TR-6 in the garage? I love that car!
Wow - that's one sharp eye. I usually try to have the garage door closed for photos of the house / lawn, but missed one...

Had to search a bit to find a photo of our TR6 that is fitting for a lawn site. Remembered some of the photos of my eldest son's wedding included the TR6 on the grass. The pic wasn't taken at our house, though.

Maybe when the front lawn is completely filled in, I should get a pic of the TR6 on the lawn?

kentster

Post by kentster » June 9th, 2019, 10:19 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 10:04 pm
kentster wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 9:28 pm
Wow - that's one sharp eye. I usually try to have the garage door closed for photos of the house / lawn, but missed one...

Had to search a bit to find a photo of our TR6 that is fitting for a lawn site. Remembered some of the photos of my eldest son's wedding included the TR6 on the grass. The pic wasn't taken at our house, though.

Maybe when the front lawn is completely filled in, I should get a pic of the TR6 on the lawn?

Sweet! My brother bought a yellow TR-6 after he got out of college and, as a 12 year old kid, I absolutely fell in love. That was a long time ago, but still love the lines of this classic british roadster. Thanks for sharing the great pic!

ken-n-nancy

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - Graduation Party!

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 18th, 2019, 9:45 am

Didn't have a chance to take the "regular lawn photos" this week, as we were too busy getting ready for the high school graduation party of our daughter!

The lawn was key to the graduation party!

Front Lawn for Graduation Party on 2019-06-15 (Day 295):

Side Lawn for Volleyball on 2019-06-15 (Day 295):

kentster

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - Graduation Party!

Post by kentster » June 18th, 2019, 6:14 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 9:45 am
Didn't have a chance to take the "regular lawn photos" this week, as we were too busy getting ready for the high school graduation party of our daughter!

The lawn was key to the graduation party!

Front Lawn for Graduation Party on 2019-06-15 (Day 295):

The yard looks awesome! We have our graduation party on Saturday and I'm hoping for great weather like it looks like you had.

ken-n-nancy

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - Peak for 2019?

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 30th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Our experience is that our lawn tends to peak at around July 1st each year. That's tomorrow, but here are photos from yesterday, which will probably be the "peak" this year, unless the lawn manages to attain to this same level again in mid-September.

We clearly chose the right course of action to let the KBG "do its thing" to fill in the sparser spots. By avoiding additional seeding this spring, we were able to apply a pre-emergent and keep weed pressure to a minimum. The only weed control we've done in the front lawn has been via hand-pulling -- nothing sufficiently widespread to necessitate spraying.

The bare spots right on the cobblestone edge continue to fill in. I speculate they will be completely filled in by September.

Not our best pics - didn't blow the clippings off the cobblestones and still need to spray glyphosate on the KBG which is growing in what is supposed to be the "barren wasteland" between the cobblestones and the road. Some brown is also starting to show up in the lawn - seems like a combination of disease pressure and summer stress. It is what it is... only so much time to work on it...

Mailbox View as of 2019-06-29 (Day 309):

Lamp Post View as of 2019-06-29 (Day 309):

Far End as of 2019-06-29 (Day 309):

Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Dargin » July 2nd, 2019, 6:48 pm

Thanks for sharing all of this. It's been a really good read.
That's a heck of a transformation you pulled off! :)

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 6th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Have you thought about doing some iron apps?

You can get 2.5 gallons of Flash Dance from Site One for under 30 bucks. 3 oz / gallon / 1K

I bet your lawn would love it.

ken-n-nancy

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - Front Lawn Still Improving!

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 13th, 2019, 11:15 pm

Two weeks ago, I had reported that our lawn usually peaks around July 1st. That seems to have been true for the northern mix section this year, but the KBG front lawn that was renovated last fall continues to improve. I think this week's photos are better than last week's, even though high temperatures so far for every day in July have been in the 83F to 93F range, with the minimum low in that stretch being 60F, with most nights in the mid-60s.

Mowed today and applied another application of Serenade. Currently planning for Serenade applications of 3oz/ksqft every 10 days while this heat and humidity continue.

Sprayed the "barren wasteland" between the cobblestones and the road with glyphosate about a week ago -- that area is looking dead, as desired.

There are some patches of Poa annua in the front lawn -- I've been whittling away at them by hand pulling, but need to spend a bit more time on that one day this week before they get big enough to spread more seeds. It's also clearly an indication that I need to get pre-emergent down again soon to prevent Poa annua germination as fall approaches.

Took a few "bonus pics" this week, which are in this posting, with the normal pics in a second posting right behind this one. (Had to split into two posts due to the 4-URL limit per posting.)

Front Lawn as of 2019-07-13 (Day 323):

Roadside View as of 2019-07-13 (Day 323):

ken-n-nancy

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - Front Lawn Still Improving!

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 13th, 2019, 11:19 pm

Standard pics here...

Mailbox View as of 2019-07-13 (Day 323):

Lamp Post View as of 2019-07-13 (Day 323):

Far End as of 2019-07-13 (Day 323):

Northern Mix (FF Thinning Area) as of 2019-07-13:

The browning of the fine fescue and perennial ryegrass in the northern mix can be seen. Some patches of FF or PRG nearest the roadside cobblestones are also brown and entering dormancy, despite receiving the same watering as the KBG in the front lawn.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 14th, 2019, 7:25 am

Looking great, especially for July!

I have the same issue at roadside. Browns out fast.

Interesting the different climates effect on poa annua. My neighbors poa annua patches are dead. Haven't seen much living here now.

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 14th, 2019, 8:49 am

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 7:25 am
Interesting the different climates effect on poa annua. My neighbors poa annua patches are dead. Haven't seen much living here now.
With the slightly cooler temperatures here in NH and the shade in our lawn, our Poa annua survives right through the summer. It also seems to germinate from May through October.

I think it's about time to apply prodiamine again -- our spring application was on April 21st at the 3-month rate, so coverage is supposed to be ending around July 21st, which is only a week away. Maybe I should just do that today to get it done?

northeastlawn
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » July 14th, 2019, 12:55 pm

[quote=ken-n-nancy post_id=335477 time=1563108560 user_id=3863]
With the slightly cooler temperatures here in NH and the shade in our lawn, our [i]Poa annua[/i] survives right through the summer. It also seems to germinate from May through October.

I think it's about time to apply prodiamine again -- our spring application was on April 21st at the 3-month rate, so coverage is supposed to be ending around July 21st, which is only a week away. Maybe I should just do that today to get it done?
[/quote]

Thanks for that tip.

I have some partial shade in my lawn, and the theory that POA Annua automatically dies in the summer never seemed too hold totally true in my lawn. I always stocked it up to me watering to much, about twice a week.

I am specifically watching some areas with POA Annua Seedheads, and they aren't really dieing so far off despite stretching the watering to about weekly this summer.

I am also probably going to try and get the pre-m ready sooner rather than later this year. No idea what I do to kill off the POA annual that survives the summer, as it is very mixed in with the KBG. Even Tenacity doesn't light it up right off the bat, it takes many apps before it starts hurting.

Maybe we are dealing with a hybrid strain of POA Annua?

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 14th, 2019, 4:55 pm

I
northeastlawn wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 12:55 pm
No idea what I do to kill off the POA annual that survives the summer, as it is very mixed in with the KBG. Even Tenacity doesn't light it up right off the bat, it takes many apps before it starts hurting.

Maybe we are dealing with a hybrid strain of POA Annua?
I've never really waged a herbicide war against Poa annua in our lawn. I've always dealt with small scattered patches in the past via hand-pulling. However, I think I'm getting a lot of Poa annua seeds blown in from my neighbors lawns, who both have significant (50%?) Poa annua in their lawns.

I know that others here have waged successful campaigns against Poa annua, Green comes to mind as one of the members who has had victory in that regard. I seem to recall that multiple applications of Tenacity at the rate of 2oz/acre are required, but I don't remember the application frequency or time between applications for their best successes. I also seem to recall that their success has varied seasonally, too. Hopefully Green is reading along, will see this posting, and can let us know the details of what he has found to work best.

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 19th, 2019, 11:10 am

I had been expecting to see significant "browning" of the renovated lawn by now. However, here in NH, we've dodged really high temperatures so far this year, and even on days when it has been hot, it has cooled back down into the 60s overnight.

The front lawn KBG is still growing well and looking good, other than increasing amounts of Poa annua in the shadier (thinner) spots.

I mowed last night, which was 5 days after my prior mow, at a height of 3.25" and was probably taking off about 2" which breaks the 1/3 rule a little. I had to go real slow in the sunnier areas to keep from bogging down the mower due to the thickness of grass and the amount being cut off.

I'm expecting growth to slow down a bit over these next 3 days with forecasted highs in the mid-90s and overnight lows only falling into the mid-70s.

I probably should make another Serenade app tonight, as disease pressure will be very high with the heat and humidity.