Best seed cover (other than peat)

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
mooch91
Grass Type: KBG, PR, TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

Best seed cover (other than peat)

Post by mooch91 » April 26th, 2019, 4:32 pm

I know peat is a favorite cover for seed around these parts, and I've used it myself for small, flat areas with good success in the past.

I believe washout has been a significant factor in my failure to get germination in a few areas this spring. I'm particularly challenged with some sloped areas. See attached picture which I took today.

I've seeded this area 3 times since late winter and still have not germinated in the bare areas. In contrast, a place up the street hydroseeded two weeks ago and has a nice smooth carpet of baby grass already.

What is the recommended cover for the seed, other than peat? I haven't found peat useful on large areas or hills.

Straw? Hay? I live in a rural area, and if I go anywhere to ask for one of those, I'm sure I'll get something that will get me a pasture of fine grasses. Is there a specific variety I should ask for?

Thanks!

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Re: Best seed cover (other than peat)

Post by northeastlawn » April 26th, 2019, 7:08 pm

My sister's yard has a bit of the slope on one side, but the whole front yard kind of slopes.

This year I reseeded her lawn with PR and made sure I rolled it in when the ground was moist with a heavy roller. I then covered it with pete moss put down thick with a compost spreader.

I was expecting run off issues, so this year I bought a roll of seed blanker from lowes just to put it on the steepest slope by her driveway. It was $17 for a 18'x3' strip. Very expensive; but sure enough a heavy rain storm washed about 50% of the reno away three days later.

The only part to stay in good shape and have germination was the portion on the steepest slope where I put the seed blanket down.

Not sure how much it would cost for the seed blankets, but it might be worth shot.

jcs43920
Grass Type: Bluegrass, Rye blend.
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by jcs43920 » June 11th, 2019, 12:23 pm

I have always had the best luck seeding with straw. Every time I put peat down the seed gets washed away. My neighbor told me he used a tiny bit of annual rye just to hurry up and sprout to keep the other stuff from washing away since it germinates in like 4 days.

john5246
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by john5246 » June 11th, 2019, 9:48 pm

straw with tacifier, you can get it at true value online and pick up at your local store, it's about 12-15 bucks

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 12th, 2019, 6:37 am

Top dressing doesnt really prevent washout on steep slopes. You need blankets on those.

Dont apply anything with weed seeds, aka straw, hay, green poorly matured compost, dirt.

Every year we get "hey i applied weed free straw and have weeds" threads.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 12th, 2019, 11:00 am

john5246 wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 9:48 pm
straw with tacifier, you can get it at true value online and pick up at your local store, it's about 12-15 bucks
HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 6:37 am
Dont apply anything with weed seeds, aka straw, hay, green poorly matured compost, dirt.

Every year we get "hey i applied weed free straw and have weeds" threads.
I just want to re-emphasize what HoosierLawnGnome has said above.

More often than not, those on this site who have used straw, hay, or other such materials as top-dressing material (even when advertised as "weed-free") have posted that they have had problems with mystery grasses or hay or <insert bad weed here> that haven't been encountered by those using peat moss or manufactured top-dressing materials such as PennMulch. (https://www.lebanonturf.com/brands/pennmulch)

Yes, I know that straw is the "traditional" top-dressing material used by many lawn installers and generally recommended by traditional seeding guides. However, for people that are picky about weedy grasses (and hay) rather than just dandelions, plantain, and other broadleaf weeds, straw is definitely not the "best seed cover."

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 12th, 2019, 11:52 am

And the real issue here is erosion control, not top dressing. Two different things