Drip Irrigation

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Drip Irrigation

Post by KBGkicksazz » May 31st, 2019, 12:51 pm

How many plants are typically supported by a drip irrigation zone?

What’s usually the max length 1/4 inch tubing off of the main line?

Trying to figure out my system design and how many Ts I may need.

lojack323
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: < 1000

Re: Drip Irrigation

Post by lojack323 » June 11th, 2019, 2:25 pm

KBGkicksazz wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 12:51 pm

Following along for advice. Just decided over the weekend I'd like to convert an area to drip irrigation and was wondering the same thing. Thinking if I could run 1/4' tubing in 20'-30' lengths it would be a much simpler design in my head lol. Hopefully you get some replies! :popcorn:

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 13th, 2019, 9:57 am

My landscaper said the 1/4 lines can be fairly Long.
On my case I have two limes that will be 8-10 feet long but everything else will be 5 feet or less.

With the slow flow rates

There are table out there to estimate total system length via the main Netafim 1/2 inch line and all the lines that come off of it.

My irrigation guy just said add up all the emitter flows and make sure I have enough from my well make up to support it.

I’ll be about 40 gallons per hour per drip zone so I have
Plenty of water to support it.

Will be so nice not having to hand water 100s of plants.
lojack323 wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 2:25 pm
KBGkicksazz wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 12:51 pm

Following along for advice. Just decided over the weekend I'd like to convert an area to drip irrigation and was wondering the same thing. Thinking if I could run 1/4' tubing in 20'-30' lengths it would be a much simpler design in my head lol. Hopefully you get some replies! :popcorn:

spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard

Post by spectrum1c » June 16th, 2019, 7:35 am

I've been working on adding drip to my irrigation system. It's pretty quick, easy and kind of fun compared to installing the sprinkler irrigation part.
I'm no expert and have been piecing together info as I go along. I appreciate the info folks have posted above. The following 2 links have been pretty helpful too:
https://www.netafimusa.com/landscape/pr ... ro-tubing/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 0684574434

From what I understand, the pressure you run your system will effect how much you can run through your tubing. I went with netafim brand which I've been told by many is the best. Given that, I've gone with 40psi, which I think is on the high end for drip.

A cheaper route would be to use a $25 "dig" brand kit from home Depot that attaches to your faucet and seems to have very postive reviews. The only thing you would need to add is a timer

lojack323

Post by lojack323 » June 17th, 2019, 10:57 am

KBGkicksazz wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 9:57 am
My landscaper said the 1/4 lines can be fairly Long.
On my case I have two limes that will be 8-10 feet long but everything else will be 5 feet or less.

With the slow flow rates

There are table out there to estimate total system length via the main Netafim 1/2 inch line and all the lines that come off of it.

My irrigation guy just said add up all the emitter flows and make sure I have enough from my well make up to support it.
That's good to know thanks. I already have sprinklers in my beds but I'm finally tired of how they water everything but the plants they're supposed to lol.

lojack323

Post by lojack323 » June 17th, 2019, 11:08 am

spectrum1c wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 7:35 am
A cheaper route would be to use a $25 "dig" brand kit from home Depot that attaches to your faucet and seems to have very postive reviews. The only thing you would need to add is a timer
I have one of those $25 Dig kits in our raised vegetable beds. Pretty straight forward to set up, almost plug n' play. I ended up running in ground pvc to the beds and then connecting the Dig kit to MHT fittings instead of a hose faucet. The quality of parts seems to be hit or miss based on reviews. One of two DIg back flow preventers I have leaked after a week which seems common based on reviews of the individual part. Of course though this was the one I bought individually and not the one that came in the kit, so maybe it was damaged on the shelf by mishandling.