Experience with Tenacity during Summer?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Experience with Tenacity during Summer?

Post by northeastlawn » June 17th, 2019, 5:36 pm

I tried the search feature, but can't seem to find the thread about using Tenacity when it gets warmer and is hurting. There was something about frequent apps in spring and bigger rates in summer, but can't remember now. I went something like Tenacity was more effective when its warmer and not raining all the time.

I put about 8oz of Tenacity down before memorial day, unfortunately the annual memorial day cookout forces me to stop treatments about May 15th. The POA Annual seemed like it took a hit and the KBG has been filling in and thickening up,so I probably gave the KBG some what of a heard start.

Unfortunately this springs weather pattern was cold and rainy, I don't think i killed a lot of POA annual, and starting to see some of it come back.

Anyone have experience hitting it in the warmer months when the temps are more effective for control?

I have about 8oz left for the year.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Experience with Tenacity during Summer?

Post by andy10917 » June 17th, 2019, 6:46 pm

put about 8oz of Tenacity down before memorial day
You put down 8 oz of Tenacity on 1000-3000 sq ft of lawn? :shock:

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » June 17th, 2019, 8:02 pm

No I applied a diagnosis marking app at the 4oz rate, then did three spot apps at the 2oz rate on the problem areas after 10 days. Spot treatments were about 5 days apart, but frequent rain made it hard to follow any schedule this year. The POA would whiten when we had a few sunny days, then bounce back after a few days of showers.

So I guess I actually have 6oz left for year, I don't think I'd sweat an extra 2oz here and there, considering its always hard judging the spot treatments.

Sorry if I got the terminology wrong.

It takes 1 1/2 gallons for me to cover 1,000sf using water, I add the proper amount of tea spoons (Usually a 1/2 but I'd have to check with the label) to get the rate I'm looking for. But as the stretch of spring weather was rather cool and wet and didn't seem like the dry and hot kind that Tenacity is most effective in, I cut it short and saved some when it might be more effective.

That and I wanted the KBG to get into growth mode, I didnt want to waste prime growing season hurting the KBG with weekly apps.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 17th, 2019, 8:14 pm

OK - just for the future: rates are specified as an amount over a measurement of size. What you meant was that you used the 4 ounce per acre rate, which is generally abbreviated as "4 oz/a".

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » June 17th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Your typical target weeds for Tenacity use, like creeping bentgrass and Poa annua, aren't growing vigorously in the summer, thus why applications are usually made in late spring and early fall (or late summer in September). I've never applied Tenacity during the heat of summer. It would be a waste.

I suggest you take pride in the whitening effect and continue your spring applications later until the end of May. As I one wrote here:
TimmyG wrote:
May 5th, 2016, 9:44 pm
I show off my bleached patches during our annual Memorial Day BBQ. Heck, I even time my spring application for maximum effect during the BBQ. Brown is ugly, but white is fun.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » June 18th, 2019, 12:48 am

If you have warm season grasses to kill or knock back, either on or off label, such as Nimblewill or Zoysia, you would definitely benefit from Summer Tenacity apps (but generally not until July or even August as the case may be).

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » June 18th, 2019, 9:18 am

Thats a good point about the POA Annua not being active come summer, but do remember reading some study on here that hot and dry hurt the POA Annua more than when it was cold and rainy. Hot and dry springs helped Tenacity control POA Annua, cold rainy ones had poor control. My spring experience so far seems to confirm that.

I have never had the luck with tenacity the others seems to have, unless Im just expecting too much.

I will apply the 4oz/ac diagnosis app in the spring and I don't get much bleaching. the POA Annua just starts turning yellow and puts out seed heads, but not the white bleaching everyone talks about. It usually goes from yellow to brown and dieing, the only way i usually see white is when I spray the PR in the hell strips.

If I don't pull it out the larger areas of it, it comes back, so now I just pull it out. This just doesn't;t work when it's all mixed into the good KBG.

I'm may be forcing it and applying it too early, next year I may have to start this battle after memorial day, the lawn should be thicker next year, and I will know everything is growing at that point.

Pway
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » June 18th, 2019, 9:31 am

Green wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 12:48 am
If you have warm season grasses to kill or knock back, either on or off label, such as Nimblewill or Zoysia, you would definitely benefit from Summer Tenacity apps (but generally not until July or even August as the case may be).
Geeen, have you been able to kill zoysia with tenacity? I have never heard that it is effective against zoysia. I had some zoysia introduced into my lawn (don’t know how, either neighbors lawn service or deer I suspect) and was planning on digging it out and putting sod down.

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » June 18th, 2019, 9:45 am

northeastlawn wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 9:18 am
I have never had the luck with tenacity the others seems to have, unless Im just expecting too much.

I will apply the 4oz/ac diagnosis app in the spring and I don't get much bleaching. the POA Annua just starts turning yellow and puts out seed heads, but not the white bleaching everyone talks about. It usually goes from yellow to brown and dieing, the only way i usually see white is when I spray the PR in the hell strips.
Creeping bentgrass turns very white. I don't remember how white the Poa annua turns. With Poa annua in the spring, I'm not too concerned about killing it 100% using Tenacity, which puts a serious enough hurt on it that it stops expanding and readily dies and fades away during the summer. My only goal in the spring regarding Poa annua, when I do tackle it (didn't need to this year), is to keep the clumps from expanding so much that they leave holes in the summer. Once you correctly combat Poa annua with pre-M in late summer/early fall, your issues with Poa annua in the spring should go away.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » June 18th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Pway wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 9:31 am
Geeen, have you been able to kill zoysia with tenacity? I have never heard that it is effective against zoysia. I had some zoysia introduced into my lawn (don’t know how, either neighbors lawn service or deer I suspect) and was planning on digging it out and putting sod down.
I don't have it, but a neighbor does, and he did one app last year and kept it from spreading. Multiple apps should put a real hurting on it. Roundup is very helpful, too.