Rabbit Den in Yard

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
JHazzardB
Grass Type: Front Yard: KBG blend. Back Bewitched/Nuglade
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Rabbit Den in Yard

Post by JHazzardB » July 12th, 2019, 7:20 pm

I’ve been seeing rabbits more frequently in my yard and then I noticed a little den today. It was covered and whatnot with a bunch of dead grass clippings. I don’t think there will be any major detrimental effects to my yard and I like seeing them. Is there anything more I can do to help them decide to stay?

deboy922
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Rabbit Den in Yard

Post by deboy922 » July 12th, 2019, 7:46 pm

If you have dogs and/or cats, keep them away. We have rabbits around most of the time, if they are nesting on your property, it must be hospitable. You could fertilize your lawn with alfalfa pellets...they would love that :-)

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Rabbit Den in Yard

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 12th, 2019, 8:00 pm

JHazzardB wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 7:20 pm
I’ve been seeing rabbits more frequently in my yard ... I don’t think there will be any major detrimental effects to my yard...
Oh boy, you haven't really experienced what a den of rabbits will do to your lawn yet. Do a google search for lawn and rabbit -- you'll find many articles about how to control rabbit damage or how to get rid of rabbits.

However, if after reading the postings and articles on the damage caused by rabbits to a lawn, garden, and ornamental plants, as well as those about how to get rid of them, you still want to attract rabbits to your yard, there are articles on that, too: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-rabb ... 52448.html