Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Spahrman328
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Spahrman328's 2019 Soil Test

Post by Spahrman328 » August 23rd, 2019, 11:18 am

Hi All,

Used to frequent this forum back in 2013/14, then had some kids, got busy, etc. I kept up with my lawn but haven't done a soil test in 5 years. My lawn still looks pretty good, but I have noticed an uptick in weeds that require more input than needed previously.

My 2014 Soil Test is referenced below. I followed through with the recommendations:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15057&p=205211&hil ... n5#p205211

10k sqft of norther mix lawn.
Follow proper cutting techniques, triangle method, Miloganite throughout the year, winterize with urea, overseed in fall with TTTF mix. Don't normally irrigate - but have a system.
Goal: I just want a healthy NoMix lawn.

An updated interpretation of my 2019 Logan Test and some recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Glad to be back!

Thanks,
Justin

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Spahrman328's 2019 Soil Test

Post by TimmyG » August 23rd, 2019, 11:58 am

andy10917 wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:56 am
Please make sure to post a Link to this thread into the Soil Test Interpretation Queue, so your thread doesn't get forgotten.
Drool.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 23rd, 2019, 12:34 pm

OK. If you noticed big differences between the 2014 numbers and the 2019 numbers, it's because the new soil test was calculated at the 6" depth rather than the (much preferred) 4" depth. Going forward, submit tests at the 4" depth, which simplifies comparisons.

You're showing a soil that has a TEC of 17 - that's a heavy soil, which isn't a problem unless it doesn't drain well. The soil has a great OM% of 7.13%, which is to die for. Soils like this hold nutrients very well.

In the cations, you have a surplus of Calcium and Magnesium, and Potassium is OK on raw numbers but short in the ratios. Since you expressed that you're not going for "Best in the County" quality, I'll let this slip and accept the raw numbers as adequate. There are a couple of reasons for this: (1) the cations are generating a pH of 6.8 (the top of the sweet spot and we don't want to mess with success, and (2) there isn't a compelling reason to go for it at this time.

Phosphorus is plentiful.

Iron is good - another reason for keeping a lid on the cations that drive the pH up. In 2014 you were at the edge of the Iron availability envelope, but now there is a little margin of safety.

In the micro's, it's only Boron that needs attention - do you want to address that now?

So, what would I do with that soil/lawn? I'd pick one of the two Fall Nitrogen Regimens to thicken it and prep it for 2020, and that will help with the weeds too -- weeds have trouble growing in a dense lawn. I'd get a good pre-emergent down soon for Poa Annua and Fall germination of weeds, and repeat it when the Forsythia bloom in Spring (for crabgrass prevention). I'd be generous with the Nitrogen fertilizer in the later Spring (assuming you do the Fall fertilizing this year).

I don't get many soil reports to interpret that require this little remediation - thank your lucky stars!!

Spahrman328
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Spahrman328 » August 26th, 2019, 7:13 am

Thanks Andy! To be honest, the samples were taken closer to 4 inches, I just missed changing the depth on the request form.

Very glad to hear the soil is doing well. The uptick in weeds is likely caused by my being a little too laid back in my execution of the triangle method and maybe pre-emergent timing. I'll focus on these processes and keep up with my nitrogen regimens.

As for the Boron deficiency, can I just follow the recommendation you provided 5 years ago? *Apply Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap at two tablespoons per 1000 sq ft along with my nitrogen drops.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciated it!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 26th, 2019, 9:57 am

About the Boron: the amount of Boron that is applied in a single application was increased to 3 tablespoons/K a few years ago. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for the full details. The application frequency is every 60 days.