Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
DTheMan
Grass Type: Rye Grass and Kentucky blue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Type of Mix Seeds I could use

Post by DTheMan » August 27th, 2019, 10:45 am

Hello Everyone,

I need your help to decide what type of seeds I should use for reseeding. I have been seeding past 2 years and spring time my grass is nice and thick. soon as summer starts my lawn starts dieing since my lawn is under full sun.

Seeds I been using past 2 years

CLUBHOUSE MIX: Our best bluegrass mix without the fescue.
The choice of turf professionals for full sun locations. 40% bluegrass 60% fine textured perennial ryegrass all proprietary seed.

any expert out there that could tell me what type of mix I should use to keep my lawn nice and green?

Thank You,

DTheMan

Re: Type of Mix Seeds I could use

Post by DTheMan » August 27th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Here are the before and after picture.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » August 27th, 2019, 5:35 pm

I would check the label to see if there is any weed or other crop present. I costs more to get seed with neither of these but in the scheme of things it’s worth it (at least to me). Bewitched KBG did very well in the Rutgers NTEP tests down the street from you. You could find another KBG or a PR to match up with it. All depends on your level of interest, budget, etc.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 27th, 2019, 8:20 pm

While the grass seed determines just how far the "top condition" can go, it's the irrigation and mowing height that are the secret sauce of Summer. That said, PR has a stronger tendency to go dormant in the Summer. It is not dead, unless it got no water.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 27th, 2019, 9:56 pm

DTheMan wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Here are the before and after picture.
andy10917 wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 8:20 pm
... it's the irrigation and mowing height that are the secret sauce of Summer. That said, PR has a stronger tendency to go dormant in the Summer. It is not dead, unless it got no water.
I agree with Andy. The grass is likely not dead, but rather just dormant in those brown areas. I think it is likely to come back once water and cooler days return.

What is your watering plan during the summer? If not providing supplemental watering at all, that lawn doesn't look horrible. Actually, it looks very similar to the one next door and the one across the street...

DTheMan

Post by DTheMan » August 28th, 2019, 8:07 am

I do have irrigation system installed in my lawn. I water daily in the morning and evening 20 mins per zone (7 zones ) and mowing height during summer is 4 inches due to the summer heat and 3 inch in fall.. I agree that PR goes dormant after the temperate reaches 80 degrees + Since 60 % of the seeds are PR.

DTheMan

Post by DTheMan » August 28th, 2019, 8:22 am

Pway wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 5:35 pm
I would check the label to see if there is any weed or other crop present. I costs more to get seed with neither of these but in the scheme of things it’s worth it (at least to me). Bewitched KBG did very well in the Rutgers NTEP tests down the street from you. You could find another KBG or a PR to match up with it. All depends on your level of interest, budget, etc.
Looks like we don't live far from each other. I live right off Ext 10 on 287.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody

Post by schreibdave » August 28th, 2019, 11:43 am

I have a PR lawn in back and no irrigation in that area and mine does not go dormant.

Based on what you have said you need to do at least two things differently: stop the cycle of spring seeding and transition to deeper and less frequent watering.

Now is the best time to seed - mother nature is on your side.

20 minutes per zone twice a day is probably only enough water to penetrate the very top layer of soil. You want to water enough so that the moisture gets down into the root zone of your lawn - 4" or so. Depending on how much water your system is putting out, the condition of your soil, rainfall, slopes, etc that might mean watering each zone for an hour or two or even longer once or twice a week. The rule of thumb is to give it 1 inch of water a week mostly all at once. But that would vary depending on those other factors. You don't want it running off or pooling. But I bet that improving your watering habits will improve your outcomes more than changing your grass type will.

Also, you want to avoid putting down a lot of fertilizer in the spring and summer. Fall is when it should get most of its food.

Good luck

DTheMan

Post by DTheMan » August 29th, 2019, 11:45 am

schreibdave wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 11:43 am
I have a PR lawn in back and no irrigation in that area and mine does not go dormant.

Based on what you have said you need to do at least two things differently: stop the cycle of spring seeding and transition to deeper and less frequent watering.

Now is the best time to seed - mother nature is on your side.

20 minutes per zone twice a day is probably only enough water to penetrate the very top layer of soil. You want to water enough so that the moisture gets down into the root zone of your lawn - 4" or so. Depending on how much water your system is putting out, the condition of your soil, rainfall, slopes, etc that might mean watering each zone for an hour or two or even longer once or twice a week. The rule of thumb is to give it 1 inch of water a week mostly all at once. But that would vary depending on those other factors. You don't want it running off or pooling. But I bet that improving your watering habits will improve your outcomes more than changing your grass type will.

Also, you want to avoid putting down a lot of fertilizer in the spring and summer. Fall is when it should get most of its food.

Good luck
Thank you Schreibdave for your suggestion. After I am done reseeding this year I am planning on buying Rain Gauge to help me determinant how long it takes to irrigate water 1 inch. Do you have any suggestion when to water it? morning vs afternoon or evening?

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » August 29th, 2019, 1:25 pm

DTheMan wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 8:22 am
Pway wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 5:35 pm
Looks like we don't live far from each other. I live right off Ext 10 on 287.
Small world. I’m off River Road and 287.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody

Post by schreibdave » August 29th, 2019, 2:21 pm

I am planning on buying Rain Gauge to help me determinant how long it takes to irrigate water 1 inch. Do you have any suggestion when to water it? morning vs afternoon or evening?
Instead of buying a rain gauge you could use tuna cans or any flat bottomed and straight sided containers.

I think the best time to water is early morning and finish up by 9am or so. It's good to try to avoid those times of day when it is windy and when the sun is beating down.

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG

Post by agn015 » August 29th, 2019, 3:07 pm

schreibdave wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 2:21 pm
I am planning on buying Rain Gauge to help me determinant how long it takes to irrigate water 1 inch. Do you have any suggestion when to water it? morning vs afternoon or evening?
Instead of buying a rain gauge you could use tuna cans or any flat bottomed and straight sided containers.

I think the best time to water is early morning and finish up by 9am or so. It's good to try to avoid those times of day when it is windy and when the sun is beating down.
Milorganite will send you a free rain gauge if you write them a testimonial. https://www.milorganite.com/testimonial ... estimonial

DTheMan

Post by DTheMan » August 29th, 2019, 3:33 pm

agn015 wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 3:07 pm
schreibdave wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Milorganite will send you a free rain gauge if you write them a testimonial. https://www.milorganite.com/testimonial ... estimonial
Hi agn015

Thank you for the information. I been using Milo for past 2 years and during spring time the lawn looks great. After reading all the suggesting I think watering could be the issue causing my lawn to go dormant.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 29th, 2019, 4:22 pm

DTheMan wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 11:45 am
... I am planning on buying Rain Gauge to help me determinant how long it takes to irrigate water 1 inch.
For doing an "irrigation audit" it is helpful to have multiple gauges. Personally, I'd suggest this 10-pack as being inexpensive, easy to use, and reasonably accurate: (A little cheaper to buy directly from the manufacturer, but I've also included an Amazon link for convenience.)
DTheMan wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 11:45 am
Do you have any suggestion when to water it? morning vs afternoon or evening?
Personally, I try to have my watering start at whatever time it needs to start to get the required amount of water down, and still end before there's much direct sunlight to evaporate the water away and before the sun's heat starts generating wind. I shoot for the watering finishing about 7:00am to 8:00am. In order to get 0.4" down by that time of day, I need to start watering at 12:15am. Easy to do with an irrigation controller - not so easy if using manual sprinklers.