TRU CUT C27 vs. McLane 25

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Ericwells63
Grass Type: Tiftuf
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

TRU CUT C27 vs. McLane 25

Post by Ericwells63 » January 4th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Hello readers and Happy New Year!

This is my first post in this forum, but I have obtained much useful information regarding the maintenance of my TIFF TUF Bermuda. I live in SW florida and maintain about 11,000 SqFt of Bermuda (it’s a labor of love). Over this past summer I purchased a couple of used reel mowers, a TRU CUT C-27 and a McClane 25” and I am looking for some “advice” on these two machines.

After I bought the mowers, I took them to a local lawn repair shop to look them over and make sure they are mechanically sound. Oh the McClane 25 was partially disassembled by a guy who had health issues and could not put it back together and I paid $160.00 for it. The repair shop charged me another $238.00 to get the motor running and put it back together; however, they didn’t have anyone or the know how to sharpen the reel or bed-knife. Same for the TRU CUT C-27... I YouTubed and used this forum to do the HOC and Back Lap. I paid $1,800.00 for the TRU CUT C-27

The machines cut really well now and have their handling and performance differences. I am 5’11” and find that both machines feel like there handles are short, i.e. my lower back is a little tense after mowing. I have some minor inclines and the McClain is a little more difficult to handle on the inclines. I also adjusted the HOC to the MAX height on both Machines the TRU CUT max with the roller is 1 & 5/16”. The McClain 1”.

Oh prior cutting was done with Kobalt electric rotary mower 20” and i felt i was not getting a good cut for the type of turf i have.

Now the questions:
1. Which would you keep and why?

2. If I sell the McClane 25, what is it worth?

3. What is the TRU CUT C-27 worth?

4. In SW Florida what should my HOC be for Summer and Winter?

5. How frequent should I cut?

Thanks so much for your contributions and answering my questions.

EricW

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: TRU CUT C27 vs. McLane 25

Post by turf_toes » January 4th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Eric, you’ll probably get better results if you repost during the growing season. I know you are in the south. So there may still be folks around to answer your post. But the site has much more traffic during the warmer months. January and February tend to be slower on the site.

Ericwells63
Grass Type: Tiftuf

Re: TRU CUT C27 vs. McLane 25

Post by Ericwells63 » January 4th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Thank you Turf Toes👍🏾