POA triv, bermuda all in the yard

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Coop_V
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

POA triv, bermuda all in the yard

Post by Coop_V » January 15th, 2020, 4:30 pm

So my yard has a bunch of bermuda mixed in now. Also every winter I get the same poa triv spots. Last year i RUd the triv and sodded those spots and they are all back again this year. I also get a bunch of poa annua every winter but it doesn't bother me because I know it goes away naturally. I've heard from different people about using ornamec and fusalade on bermuda. I'm honestly just tired of spraying though. It makes me paranoid using a bunch of chemicals. I think I'm just going to focus on keeping my fescue as thick as possible all year and I guess whatever happens with the bermuda and triv happens. Yard is still the best on the block but you guys know how it is once your addicted to turf you only notice the bad. Attaching a picture of one of the triv spots next to a small annua spot. I'll also attach a pic of the dormant bermuda.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: POA triv, bermuda all in the yard

Post by Green » January 18th, 2020, 12:19 am

Wow, you have the two curses of a cool-season lawn, both at the same time. I battle Triv, and it's rough, as you know. I've used tons of chemical approaches including Roundup. But there's always more of it popping up somewhere. Lately, I'm at the point where I dig or pull it up manually, because as you say, you can't always use the chemicals...it's ridiculous to always be spraying. I would definitely advocate that approach, at least when you can't use chemicals, like right now. Like that chunk in your top photo...I'd (carefully) rip that thing out before it spreads. I did that all Fall, and the holes started closing up between then and now, which is nice (I did plant plugs in some). As far as the Bermuda, I don't battle it as we don't have it here, but I hear it's just as bad as Triv, except in the opposite seasons. There are actually articles that advocate using as many as 3-4 chemicals in a mixture for it (e.g. multiple apps of Ornamec plus glyphosate spiked with Triclopyr and Ammonium Sulfate, plus non-ionic surfactant) to make sure it's dead...and then resod or reseed.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Pway » January 21st, 2020, 5:49 pm

I have both as well. There is quite a bit of triv in the neighborhood but I have no idea where the Bermuda came from. It looks horrible.

Pway

Post by Pway » January 21st, 2020, 6:06 pm

Pway wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 5:49 pm
I have both as well. There is quite a bit of triv in the neighborhood but I have no idea where the Bermuda came from. It looks horrible.
Let me revise that. I have triv, and the other one is either Bermuda or Bent.

Green

Post by Green » January 21st, 2020, 7:38 pm

[quote=Pway post_id=338204 time=1579644382 user_id=3729]
I have triv, and the other one is either Bermuda or Bent.
[/quote]

Add Nimblewill to your list of candidates if you're not sure if it's Bentgrass or Bermuda. You should be able to at least tell the two warm-season grasses from the cool-season one by how brown they are at various times of the year.

Thankfully, we don't have wild Bermuda here in the Tri-State area...yet. I hear it's working its way up slowly from Southern NJ/PA.

Pway

Post by Pway » January 22nd, 2020, 1:42 pm

Green wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 7:38 pm
Pway wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 6:06 pm
I have triv, and the other one is either Bermuda or Bent.
Add Nimblewill to your list of candidates if you're not sure if it's Bentgrass or Bermuda. You should be able to at least tell the two warm-season grasses from the cool-season one by how brown they are at various times of the year.

Thankfully, we don't have wild Bermuda here in the Tri-State area...yet. I hear it's working its way up slowly from Southern NJ/PA.
I’ve got nimblewill too but have been able to control that with mesotrione. I’m thinking my other pest is more likely bent than Bermuda.

Green

Post by Green » January 22nd, 2020, 5:29 pm

Pway: Hopefully. You are likely on the very Northermost fringe of where Bermuda could be these days, so who knows. Some of it does survive the Winter. But it looks totally different from Bentgrass in terms of seedheads, etc.

Coop: Good luck and definitely keep on top of the Triv this Winter.

Coop_V

Post by Coop_V » February 14th, 2020, 9:09 am

I'm going to dig out all the triv spots fill in with topsoil and patch with some sod. We will see how that goes I'll post here once I do it. As far as the bermuda I'm just going to focus on those spots heavier during aeration seed time in the fall. I plan to continue to do this until one day I can afford a full lawn irrigation system and then maybe I'll do a long fallow renovation.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » February 15th, 2020, 10:50 am

When physically removing Poa Triv, it's important to remove the grass in a margin around the visible Triv - there is Triv that you can't see yet, and it will frustrate the hell out of you if you do all that work only to see it show up in the margins 1-3 months later. It's insidious! Don't ask me how I know that...

Coop_V

Post by Coop_V » April 12th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Well I never got around to digging out the triv. We have a four month old so the schedule is a little tight. Most likely going to wait until late winter next year to tackle that. I did however sell the mower I've had for the past four years a 2014 husqvarna z 46" residential. And I picked up a 2020 toro titan HD 1500 52", I'm like a kid of Christmas with this rig.