Zoysia for Hellstrip

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
DeanLI
Grass Type: NE Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Zoysia for Hellstrip

Post by DeanLI » February 7th, 2020, 10:28 am

I know I know this is the cool season grass forum. But I am growing grass on the South Shore of Long Island in NY.

The forum info helped me do complete reno using KBG a few years back. It has been great and is only getting better.

I am still having a tough time with density in the hell strip though. So I got the idea that zoysia may work in that area. I live in a neighborhood that clearly got the "dream" grass a few decades back. The strip is 3' by 45' feet. I know it will stand out fall through spring with that straw color.

If you think this is a dumb idea, please let fly. I can also run a irrigation zone to that strip exclusively as well if that seems to be the better option.

Thanks.

mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF

Re: Zoysia for Hellstrip

Post by mobiledynamics » February 7th, 2020, 12:20 pm

I have a hellstrip I've been contemplating with TTF

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » February 7th, 2020, 12:28 pm

It’s all personal preference but I completely dislike the brown straw color through much of the year. It spreads too. Last year I had some introduced either by the neighbors lawn service or deer, or maybe something else. Had to dig it up. Just my opinion, though.

DeanLI

Post by DeanLI » February 7th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Thanks...Someone told me it can grow under the sidewalk into the main lawn. That would be a definite deal breaker if someone can confirm this.

Figured a concrete lagoon would keep spreading in check.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » February 7th, 2020, 1:32 pm

DeanLI wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 12:48 pm
Thanks...Someone told me it can grow under the sidewalk into the main lawn. That would be a definite deal breaker if someone can confirm this.

Figured a concrete lagoon would keep spreading in check.
That wouldn’t surprise me. The patch in my yard had rhizomes more than two feet long. It is extremely invasive and difficult to control. Personally, I would not use it for my he’ll strip or anywhere else.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » February 11th, 2020, 11:47 pm

Zoysia definitely has a presence in the Northeast. I can walk far without seeing some, whether it's a hellstrip, a full lawn, part of a lawn, or the odd patch here or there. I saw data from one of the newer cultivars. They had a map of the US showing the recommended areas. It went up well into Zone 6 here in CT. I found that interesting, even though it's dormant brown about 6 months of the year.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » March 10th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Personally I hate the stuff (and we are warmer here than NJ), but it will work. As long as you are OK with the brown and understand it can be hard to remove once established, go for it. It can be much lower maintenance than TTTF or KBG.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » March 10th, 2020, 10:42 pm

Previous post should have said "I can't walk far without seeing Zoysia". Just had a conversation with someone about getting rid of some down the street.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » March 16th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Zoysia can be killed, some old posts of mine talk about it. The short answer is that you need to kill it in summer when it is growing. In my experience, it takes 3 applications of Glyphosate spaced two weeks apart to be sure it is dead, so you have to be willing to accept a brown lawn for 4+ weeks plus time for seed germination and establishment. Two applications might work, but three is safer.

I'll also add that zoysia can theoretically grow under a sidewalk, but I think that is going to be pretty uncommon.

DeanLI

Post by DeanLI » March 24th, 2020, 11:58 am

Thanks...I will try one more season with my kbg there. Extra food and water. It is only 3 or 4 seasons since the Reno and it had real problems with spurge when it was getting established. Push a few plugs there as well then hope for the best.