It's Finally the Day I Consider the Beginning of Spring!!

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

It's Finally the Day I Consider the Beginning of Spring!!

Post by andy10917 » February 17th, 2020, 10:03 am

While it seems to many up north that Winter will never end, February 15th is actually as close to a Spring kickoff date as there is on ATY. For me, the statistical turn of temperatures actually happens on February 17th in my neck of the woods.

A few facts:

- The historical average daily temperature has stopped falling almost everywhere in the US, and begins the steady rise.

- We are in Solar Spring, the 90 days where the amount of sunlight increases the fastest

- The numbers of visitors/posters on ATY stops decreasing, and begins rising as the Suthenas wake up and the Northerners start thinking about the fact that Spring is coming

- ST6 sticks its head up, and if it sees a shadow, predicts Poa Annua problems this year. If the shadow isn't seen, ST6 predicts Poa problems this year anyway.

- We all start trying to remember what a Forsythia looks like.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: It's Finally the Day I Consider the Beginning of Spring!!

Post by Pway » February 17th, 2020, 10:22 am

Agree. A guy a few blocks down has some Scotch Broom down by his mailbox (invasive species but blooms super early) and it had at least a dozen full blooms on it when I went for my walk the other day. Daffodils are up, but not yet blooming. Some moss in the cracks of my driveway is bouncing (unfortunately)! Some weeds coming up between bricks on my patio.

Trashburner
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Trashburner » February 17th, 2020, 10:57 am

Yes I agree going to be a big,big, and big poa annua problem!!!

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » February 17th, 2020, 10:26 pm

This was the year I finally did the pruning at the correct time of the year, it’s been such a mild winter, I think I might have even missed it.

Going to check the roses this week and see if it’s time.

mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by mobiledynamics » February 18th, 2020, 5:27 pm

I got all my Dormant Pruning done. I'm scratching my head here as I look at the bulb beds.....Sure, I see planty of daffodils emerging past the mulch (which is normal). They tend to stop/stall right below the mulch line and then when they know it's getting warmer, out she pokes. However, I'm only seeing like 15% of my crocus come up. Hopefully they are just slow and it's nothing more than that. Was expecting to see -alot- more of the crocus

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » February 18th, 2020, 6:19 pm

A guy I used to work with would always say it’s spring time once the Daytona 500 was ran. 😀

Can’t wait to get back out in the yard!!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » February 19th, 2020, 8:28 pm

Solar Spring...so that's what it's called. I knew there were three seasonal measures...I guess they are solar, meteorological, and astronomical.

Yeah, I've generally noticed something happening most years between Feb. 15th and 20th. This year, the clue was that I started seeing more insects the past week or so. Same thing happened at this time last year. But March 17th or so is an even more significant shift toward Spring, even in cold years, I've noticed. So, Feb. 17th and March 17th are the two dates I look out for as far Spring starting (or anytime between them).

The grass has been trying to start to green up for a while now, but it's not doing much as it still gets pretty cold at night (and some days) despite the higher than usually daytime temps this year. The Daffodils normally start coming up about now, but some started almost a month ago this year. The soil is still frozen much of the time, currently here, though.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » February 24th, 2020, 1:11 pm

I actually cut the areas that get runoff from my sumpline and grow all winter yesterday! Had some reel work done so I needed to make sure it was all ready, perfect opportunity in the mid 50s for a few days.

Definitely springing into action around here - bulbs are up, my roses are greening - I moved plugs to get that kicked into gear.

I'm ready for it let's go!

flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by flyingfish88 » February 26th, 2020, 11:32 am

it certainly seems to be starting a couple weeks early here in southeast PA. Some crocus flowers in the yard already, along with the star of Bethlehem popping up. Forsythia already has its buds, but no where close to blooming.

seems its going to be a banner year for chickweed though. most of my beds are full of it and some are already flowering. I might try some round-up or CCO in the next week or two to see if any impact.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » March 2nd, 2020, 7:16 pm

I have to admit to saying "Ugh1" when I got back from my place in Key Largo last night - who stole all my palm trees?

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bernstem » March 10th, 2020, 10:23 am

My back yard is starting to pick up growth again. It always starts before the front. The roses are also starting to grow which means, as usual, I missed the spring pruning window on many of them.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » March 10th, 2020, 10:40 pm

Typically March 15th-22nd is when I really start seeing signs of Spring.

Guess what? For 2020, today was the day. Even more insects and birds, more greenup, and the big one...Spring "Peeper" frogs made their presence known today in my area. So, we are roughly a week ahead of average this year.

lawnlawn
Grass Type: Elite KBG blend of Award, Bewitched & Rhapsody seeded in end of September 2019.
Level: Novice

Post by lawnlawn » March 12th, 2020, 9:32 am

My pool started turning green from algae past weekend so it's definitely Spring for my pool at least. I have never removed the pool cover this early in the year, usually early April I remove the cover and barely see any signs of algae. Moreover, due to pandemic, I am having a hard time finding bleach in the store to shock my pool...

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by edslawn » March 13th, 2020, 7:41 am

Wow... it looks like my area is going to have our first winter without snow in a long time. We had a couple of dustings but nothing beyond that. I was a little worried because Southcentral PA can sometimes whacked in mid-March with snow, but the forecast is clear into April. Figures, I bought a new tractor and plow, but really got to use it.