Weed-killer choices while seeding bare spots with KBG

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
lawnlawn
Grass Type: Elite KBG blend of Award, Bewitched & Rhapsody seeded in end of September 2019.
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Weed-killer choices while seeding bare spots with KBG

Post by lawnlawn » March 10th, 2020, 9:11 pm

Hello,
I am noticing weeds showing up everywhere in my newly established KBG lawn, attached are weed pictures. I want to kill these weeds and also want to seed bare spots in the next few days where grass either grew sparse or not at all.

I would really appreciate recommendations on the choice of weed killers while seeding bare and thin areas.

The only weed killer I have is Weed b gon that I bought during last Fall clearance.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Re: Weed-killer choices while seeding bare spots with KBG

Post by Green » March 10th, 2020, 11:11 pm

There are not a lot of post herbicides that permit seeding KBG during use. The one that comes to mind is Tenacity. But even with it, you cannot apply it during the actual germination period. Before is fine.

As far as your product, check the label. It will give you a number of weeks to wait after use before dropping the seed.

lawnlawn
Grass Type: Elite KBG blend of Award, Bewitched & Rhapsody seeded in end of September 2019.

Post by lawnlawn » March 11th, 2020, 8:27 am

Green wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 11:11 pm
There are not a lot of post herbicides that permit seeding KBG during use. The one that comes to mind is Tenacity. But even with it, you cannot apply it during the actual germination period. Before is fine.

As far as your product, check the label. It will give you a number of weeks to wait after use before dropping the seed.
Thanks.
So would it be wiser to ignore weeds for now and focus on seeding to thicken the lawn and fill bare spots?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » March 11th, 2020, 11:18 am

Broadleaf weeds will get large much faster than new grass seedlings, making it particularly difficult to grow new grass in the bare spots, so you want to do something about the weeds first. And then I suggest applying Tenacity to the bare soil at seed down for it's moderate performance as a pre-emergent. Either hand pull the weeds or apply an herbicide and wait the appropriate number of weeks before dropping seed...most important if you intend to broadcast spray. Precision spot spraying of weeds could afford you the opportunity to seed earlier if the weeds are sparse, but that's off label, so it's up to you assess the risk and your ability.

lawnlawn

Post by lawnlawn » March 12th, 2020, 9:17 am

TimmyG wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 11:18 am
Broadleaf weeds will get large much faster than new grass seedlings, making it particularly difficult to grow new grass in the bare spots, so you want to do something about the weeds first. And then I suggest applying Tenacity to the bare soil at seed down for it's moderate performance as a pre-emergent. Either hand pull the weeds or apply an herbicide and wait the appropriate number of weeks before dropping seed...most important if you intend to broadcast spray. Precision spot spraying of weeds could afford you the opportunity to seed earlier if the weeds are sparse, but that's off label, so it's up to you assess the risk and your ability.
Thanks! So based on your advice plan is to attempt spot spraying with weed b gon and either pull out weeds by hand on bare spots or use glyphosate a day before seeding for bare spot areas. I have leftover Scotts starter fertilizer with Tenacity so I will use that during seeding, perhaps together with Milorganite as I did last fall.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » March 12th, 2020, 10:14 am

Sounds like a plan. Git 'er done.

FWIW, when I spot spray, I tend to keep the pressure in the sprayer a little low. Yes, droplet sizes get larger and the spray less uniform, but I can control what gets sprayed much better, especially if I'm spraying in a perennial or shrub bed. Alternatively, if you don't trust your accuracy, you can rig a cone over the spray tip to confine the spray. Again, borrow my ideas at your own risk. Whenever reasonable, I do prefer to hand pull.

lawnlawn

Post by lawnlawn » March 13th, 2020, 9:01 am

TimmyG wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 10:14 am
Sounds like a plan. Git 'er done.

FWIW, when I spot spray, I tend to keep the pressure in the sprayer a little low. Yes, droplet sizes get larger and the spray less uniform, but I can control what gets sprayed much better, especially if I'm spraying in a perennial or shrub bed. Alternatively, if you don't trust your accuracy, you can rig a cone over the spray tip to confine the spray. Again, borrow my ideas at your own risk. Whenever reasonable, I do prefer to hand pull.
Thanks for all the tips :good: