This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
lojack323
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Some Experience

Garden lizards!

Post by lojack323 » June 20th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Hello.

We have a couple smallish piles of concrete rubble from a front yard reno. Garden lizards quickly moved in and claimed it as home. My kids like watching them, my dogs like chasing them, I like them, they're cool. What I don't like is the piles of concrete that I was planning on getting rid of.

As far as I can tell they're common garden skinks. Professor Google mentions that they usually lay eggs between "summer and autumn." I'm assuming if I were to clear out the concrete, now would be the best time to do it so I don't disrupt any nests?

On that note, I'd like to keep the lizards happy and in our yard for bug patrol. Wife isn't too keen on making any rock piles or gardens for them (aesthetic reasons). Anyone have any other cool (and aesthetically pleasing) ideas to keep garden lizards around?

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Garden lizards!

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 25th, 2020, 9:22 pm

I'm a little late, but I'm still first?!?!? If you still have the lizards, feed your yard with organic fertilizer to maximize the other wild life around for them to eat. Minimize the use of insecticides and herbicides, because lizards are sensitive to just about all the -isides.