Georgia Bermuda Grass

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
rraymond2180
Grass Type: Bermudagrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Georgia Bermuda Grass

Post by rraymond2180 » April 9th, 2020, 1:58 pm

So I used this forum back in 2012 when I was living in New Jersey to get my cool Season grass almost perfect. So now I've moved to Georgia an I have inherited Bermuda Grass.. Oh lord what am I in for now.. The Brown winter look drives me nuts and the delayed green up is also. Plans for backyard is to go Tall Fescue in the fall. I need to get rid of the Bermuda somehow. The front may have to stay bermuda because the neighbors lawn butts right up along side mine... Would have loved some Tall Fescue out there also. So of course previous owners did not take care of the lawn very well. I see alot of Poa growing out there. Its the only green I'm seeing so far. I'm thinking a shot of tenacity should slow it down.. But I need some kind of schedule for this bermuda grass. Does anyone have anything?

Tomb
Grass Type: Bermuda

Re: Georgia Bermuda Grass

Post by Tomb » April 14th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Hello Ray I’m from Jersey also at first I didn’t like Bermuda grass also.Before you kill it you should give it a try it is so much easier on you than you think.If you do keep it just make sure you spray pre emergent during the fall.I just put down the granular Prodiamine and had a bad case of Poa like you are having.What you should do now is wait for your yard to green up and when you see the Poa going away spray your yard with Negate it will kill that that Poa in one application.Then in the fall do a spray application of Prodiamine .That Negate is great stuff easy to make just fill a one gallon container half fill then pour in the whole bottle of Negate.Then fill container to one gallon of water that is your concentrate.From there you make it up to 42.7 gallons to use up the concentrate.Good for 3 weeks.I put from concentrate 3 oz from concentrate per gallon mix and add surfactant.You can do it after green up but not until yard is completely greened up
Hope you keep the Bermuda the Poa is nasty but if you use Negate you should not see any more Poa next year.
Hope this helps. Tom

Tomb

Post by Tomb » April 14th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Ray I see also you talked about using tenacity but don’t use the tenacity it’s for use on Cold Season grass only.If you are looking for a program for your yard get one from site one they will hook you up and they have everything you need.
Take care. Tom

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 3rd, 2020, 1:19 pm

rraymond, would you mind changing the Location in your Profile to show what part of Georgia you live in? There's too much variation across the state for us to know what we're dealing with when it comes to turf choices. Give us the town or city closest to you.

Let's assume we talk you into keeping the bermuda. Do you know what variety it is? More specifically, is it a common (seeded) bermuda or a hybrid (sod type) bermuda? Your neighbors might know the answer if you can't figure it out. Seeded bermuda will get seed heads after about 10 days of not mowing. Hybrid type will never get seed heads.

If you have common bermuda, you can overseed that in June with a variety that lasts longer into the fall and greens earlier in the spring. Specifically the Postcard Brand from Arizona Seed Company. Seedland has one called Post Card, but I'm not certain how it does in the cold weather. The Arizona Seed one does work very well, according to my Phoenix friend. If it remains green longer and greens up earlier, that means it will take over and dominate the other varieties of bermuda in the lawn.

Bermuda is relatively easy to care for, but it does need more mowing. Twice a week is the average for most people who grow it very low.

rraymond1130
Level: Experienced

Post by rraymond1130 » September 23rd, 2020, 2:45 pm

Well, thanks for the info on Tenacity. Sorry for the late response was having all kinds of problems getting into the site. So I still have to say I miss my Tall Fescue KBG lawn. Bermuda will be a work in progress. I have to say I did fairly ok with it. I don't like the low cutting and scalping that happens. My Timemaster does well down to 2" and that's it. I let the lawn grow to 3" which I guess was a mistake. Next year 2" with timemaster and will look into a manual reel mower to see the difference. I would love to find a landscape supply in my area that sells Lebanon turf products. I've been ordering PGF Complete from Amazon an I feel like I'm going broke. Good fertilizer but the cost and shipping kills your pocket. Milorganite if I can find it. An this damn Red Clay rock hard soil is driving me nuts also. What do I need to do to loosen this stuff up. I couldn't even push my manual aerator into the soil. Help....

rraymond1130

Post by rraymond1130 » September 24th, 2020, 7:13 am

Added a couple of pics taken yesterday.. Will post some good ones from July today after work

rraymond1130

Post by rraymond1130 » September 24th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Its not common bermuda.. I think its Tifway 419? The whole subdivision has it..

rraymond1130

Post by rraymond1130 » September 26th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Better pics of the front height is 3 1/4” don’t know why it’s brown

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » September 26th, 2020, 9:14 pm

3.25" is very high for Tifway 419. Do most of the other owners grow it anywhere near that high?

rraymond1130

Post by rraymond1130 » September 28th, 2020, 1:07 pm

My next neighbor next door is about 3" his is greener than mine, but the one thing I always notice is when they mow their lawns. The lawn always has brown scalp marks which drives me nuts. The best bermuda lawn is a house in the front of the subdivision. The guy uses a reel mower and mows it at 1/2". His lawn is nice and green. His is probably the best looking lawn. I really pushed this lawn this year because it was very thin. I got it super thick, but I think I made a mistake by letting it grow high went it got hot. I guess I'm still stuck in my KGB TFF lawn mind set. I'm also treating the lawn with Humic and Kelp treatments to soften up the soil which is rock hard.. I've attached a photo of the lawn back in July when it looked its best. It was cut at 3 1/4" and that's when we went through a heat wave here in Ga for about 2 weeks. No rain, I tried to irrigate the best I could but should have been mowing more often than once a week. Hopefully next year will be a more improved lawn.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » October 22nd, 2020, 1:23 pm

The color of your lawn is the same color of lawns which are overwatered. What is your watering schedule? How often and for how long do you water?

rraymond1130

Post by rraymond1130 » November 5th, 2020, 3:27 pm

I seriously doubt that I'm overwatering I don't have a sprinkler system. I try to water with my tripod sprinkler head every Saturday after I cut the lawn for 15 minutes per section. If there is rain in the forecast I don't water. I think the browning is from cutting the lawn too high. If you push the lawn down you see alot of brown stems. My lawn is at 3 1/4" in that picture I posted. I mowed the lawn yesterday at 3 1/2" because I haven't mowed in 2 weeks because my mower broke down. Mower is now fixed but had to raise up a notch because of not mowing in 2 weeks. The lawn looks good now. Its the greenest on the block. I waiting for it to go dormant before brining the height down. The backyard looks good because before it started to get cool out I brought the height down to 2". Seems as though the bermuda likes that height I don't see the long brown stems like on the lawn out front. For next year I will keep the lawn height down to 2". I was using my KBG, Fescue mowing knowledge on Bermuda. I'm going to purchase a manual reel mower also to see if that works better...

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Post by killerv » November 6th, 2020, 10:41 am

Tall Fescue in Dacula? Good luck with that...............

Bermuda likes it about as low as you can possibly cut it.

zapped82

Post by zapped82 » November 17th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Speaking of next door neighbors, the world is a small place... you're my "neighbor"... about 10 houses away... 2290. You definitely have 419 Bermuda like the rest of the neighborhood. I believe I was battling some insect damage this year along with some heavy fungus pressure just like everyone else around here.

I just happened to hop onto this site this afternoon after a LONG hiatus. I've been more active on one of the other forums but feel free to stop and say hey if you see me out in the yard. I would be happy to share some of what I know and what I'm doing. We just had our backyard re-sodded in the spring this year which got me back on the lawn kick.