New Yard New Project

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
ECUPirate
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

New Yard New Project

Post by ECUPirate » February 3rd, 2020, 12:49 pm

It's been awhile since I've been on here but have come to you guys for recommendations on a new yard. We moved into a new home last summer and the existing yard is a hodge podge of weeds. The main focus last year was getting settled into the new house but this spring it's going to be time to do a yard renovation. I'm wanting to level and seed with Bermuda. A soil sample will be conducted in the next few weeks.

Question 1. Would it make more sense to level prior to seeding or seed first and then level in June/July (2 months after seeding)?

Question 2. Prior to seeding, would you recommend the tried and true method of spraying roundup on the existing yard, watering for a week, spraying round up again, and then seeding?

Question 3. Our local golf course aerates their fairways every spring. Would the aerated cores be an option instead of seeding? I'm thinking these cores could be used similar to sprigs.

Question 4. When did grass seed become so damn expensive?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Re: New Yard New Project

Post by bpgreen » February 3rd, 2020, 6:34 pm

I've never had to level a lawn, but it seems to me that it would be much easier to do when it's bare.

I've also never nuked a lawn, but your description looks like the right approach.

I'm not sure whether collecting fairway aeration plugs would work or not. It might, if the plugs have enough roots to take off. A bigger question might be whether the golf course would have a problem with it.

Is seeded Bermuda a good choice? I thought the varieties used for lawns were all sod or sprig (but I'm not a warm season grass guy, so I could easily be mistaken).

ECUPirate

Post by ECUPirate » February 4th, 2020, 2:00 pm

The yard wouldn't be bare when I level. If I were to level it before seeding, I'd go ahead and level in the early spring before temps get too hot, which means what's there now (weeds) would have to be scalped as low as possible. If I do that, then I'm going to be stuck with sand and weeds for a couple of months until I'm able to seed in June/July.

Collecting the fairway plugs would be after getting permission from the golf course superintendent. I'm pretty sure they just throw them away anyways but was curious if there would be enough root structure to make them work similarly to sprigs.

Seeded Bermuda can be done. I've done it before in the past but it takes a little longer to get a full stand of grass vs sodding or sprigging. Blackjack, Princess 77, and La Prima XD (I believe it's been recently changed to RXD) are the varieties I'm looking at using.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » February 12th, 2020, 4:37 pm

1. Makes no sense to seed then level.
2. Yes, do that in April or later taking your time between spraying. Then level it and seed or sprig.
3. Hmmmm. This is so similar to sprigging, why not just sprig it? Have you read the posts on this forum about sprigging (several years ago)?

Last summer a friend in Phoenix used a blend called Postcard. He's been raving about it to me ever since. Apparently it remained green and growing months longer into winter than his neighbors' lawns.

ECUPirate

Post by ECUPirate » April 28th, 2020, 9:52 am

Does anyone have any recommendations on preventing crabgrass while trying to establish a new lawn from seed? I heard on a podcast someone recommended Scott's 1st step fertilizer which is supposed to be a weed and feed that prevents crabgrass. I'm not big on Scott's products but would like to prevent crabgrass as much as possible.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 28th, 2020, 10:15 am

For the most part, it is too late to be applying Pre-emergents at this point (especially in a location like your's. The crabgrass is germinated and is small but growing. You'll have to deal with it with a post-emergent at this point. Qunclorac is good for that, but you'll have to deal with the time that is required after the seed of the new grass has germinated (not when you put the seed down).

ECUPirate

Post by ECUPirate » April 28th, 2020, 10:17 am

Thanks, Andy. I have Celcius so will probably use that in lieu of Qunclorac.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » April 28th, 2020, 10:31 am

Why not spray Tenacity (mesotrione) at seed down? Scotts Starter Lawn Fertilizer Plus Weed Preventer isn't the only option for mesotrione. Read the Tenacity label.

ECUPirate

Post by ECUPirate » April 28th, 2020, 10:41 am

A lawn-care buddy of mine recommended Tenacity so I'll look into that as well.