Robotic mower questions.

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Robotic mower questions.

Post by Masbustelo » May 22nd, 2020, 9:36 pm

Does anyone own a robotic mower? I'm curious if they do a good job of cutting? Or did someone use to have one and got rid of it because they didn't like it?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Robotic mower questions.

Post by bpgreen » May 22nd, 2020, 11:23 pm

Morpheuspa has one (or had one, anyway). He used to post about it. If you search for myrtle (that was what he named it) and search by his name in the user name field, you'll find some posts.

micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by micvog » May 23rd, 2020, 8:34 am

I tried out a robotic mowing service last July (Robin Autopilot). The local franchisee was fantastic to work with, and the install was seamless. However, I didn't like the results.

The robot was more work than I was expecting (e.g. it didn't have a built-in rain sensor, so I was constantly monitoring the weather forecast and turning the robot on/off), it was big and heavy so would leave marks at the perimeter of my lawn where it would turn (it turned by spinning one wheel back, the other forward, and would pull up grass), and to go home it would travel along the perimeter of my yard creating a wear pattern. I also expected my lawn to react favorably to the frequent "micro-cutting", but instead it seemed to stress the grass as the tips would turn white (the cut looked clean, and the franchisee had put new blades on the robot before installing it, so theoretically it wasn't dull blades). The appearance of my lawn improved considerably within two weeks of discontinuing the service.

All that being said, I believe Morpheuspa really like(d) his robot and his was a Robomow IIRC.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » May 23rd, 2020, 8:07 pm

I'm intrigued by the concept, but want to go see some yards being mowed by them.

Wazowski
Grass Type: I don't know
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Wazowski » May 28th, 2020, 5:37 am

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I'm the first time home-owner. I don't want to create the same new thread, so asking here. Is it ok to buy a robotic mower? I need to buy one, but I'm not sure which one would be better. I know little about mowers at all. Thanks

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » May 29th, 2020, 9:03 am

It seems to me that perhaps Husqavarna has the best models. I haven't been able to find much info from actual homeowners using them. I suspect that many lawn aficionados like running their machinery, such as zero turns etc. They enjoy the mechanics of it. That doesn't necessarily mean that robotics aren't up to the task. I'm not much of a mechanic and have a relatively steep hill to mow. I would enjoy watching a little machine save me 2-3 hours a week of mowing time. Video after video on youtube regarding the robotics is paid advertising, I don't know how to eliminate it to find what homeowners have to say.