Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - "War on Triv"

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - "War on Triv"

Post by ken-n-nancy » April 3rd, 2020, 11:09 am

northeastlawn wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 3:58 pm
How do you guys measure a half a Tbsp?
Missed this question from last year, and just now saw it, now that I'm thinking about lawns again, since the FIRST Robotics activity that usually consumes all my free time in March and April has been cancelled for this year due to COVID-19.

Anyway, to measure a half a Tbsp, I use the small end of a standard "Miracle Gro" measuring spoon (the kind that comes in every container of Miracle Gro) like the below:

The big end is 1.5 Tbsp (tablespoons). The small end is 0.5 tsp (teaspoons).

There are three teaspoons in a tablespoon. So, three half-teaspoons totals one half-tablespoon.

So, to get 0.5 Tbsp, I use three leveled-off scoops of the small end of the Miracle Gro measuring spoon.

Any accurate way that you do it is fine, but that's how I do it.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 29th, 2020, 5:27 pm

In a different thread, schreibdave asked about our Belgian block road edging, so I figured I should post some photo updates. However, I also had some photos from early spring that I wanted to post (but haven't made time) to document what things look like in early spring. Below are the standard photos from 6 April 2020. The lawn actually looked much better in early spring this year than most years, due to a lawn-friendly winter with no extended snow cover, meaning that we had zero snow mold that I could see, and also a very early thaw, without much of a "mud season" either.

Mailbox View as of 2020-04-06:

Lamp Post View as of 2020-04-06:

Far End as of 2020-04-06:

Side of Driveway as of 2020-04-06:

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 27th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Despite having intended to have updated this thread more after the prior post in late June, which was about the lawn in April, we've been too busy to make many detailed postings. Fast-forward another few months and we're at a good time to have some "second year after renovation" photos and "claim success" with the renovation.

In sum, we're very happy with how the front lawn renovation to a blend of Bewitched KBG and Prosperity KBG turned out. So far, I think we're remaining free of Poa trivialis in the front lawn, although we have had some appear in the side lawn and did have a small patch in the shadiest area of the front lawn this spring, which we pulled out by hand right at green-up (the Poa trivialis greened up before the KBG, making it easy to spot) which seems to have gotten rid of it, or at least made its presence small enough to not be noticed (at least until fall...) We know the battle will never really be over!

In any case, on to the photos...

Front lawn as of the height of summer on 2020-07-18:

Mailbox View as of 2020-06-14:

Lamp Post View as of 2020-06-14:

Far End as of 2020-06-14:

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 27th, 2020, 6:32 pm

Very nice!