Best time to kill and reseed?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Brandon011582
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Best time to kill and reseed?

Post by Brandon011582 » April 14th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Hi. I live in Connecticut. I recently purchased my home after a few years of renting it. While renting, I didn't put to much time and energy into the lawn besides mowing, watering and basic fertilizing. During late Spring/Summer, the grass is always green with a few areas of minor weeds. But overall satisfied. However, once the temps drop in the fall large areas of the front and back yards turn brownish, yellow. I always thought it was something I was doing wrong or not doing when it comes to maintenance of the lawn. Now that I own the house, I want to get to the root of this issue.

I posted this same issue in another forum and was told that I have Zoysia growing and this is what is turning brown in the colder months since its a warm season grass. I was advised that I can use RoundUp in July to wipe it out and reseed with a Northern mix in August.

Just looking on a second opinion on the timing of doing this (July/August). I always assumed that Fall or early spring were the best times to grown new grass in New England.

Thanks in advance!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Best time to kill and reseed?

Post by andy10917 » April 14th, 2020, 4:13 pm

That's a good description of growing Zoysia in the North. It is straw-colored from late September to early May.

The best time to seed a Northern lawn is around August 15th - just as the evenings cool off just a few degrees.

Warning: Zoysia doesn't die that easily, and it may take a few RoundUp (Glyphosate) applications to kill it. Start killing it 4 weeks before you wants to reseed.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by flyin-lowe » April 15th, 2020, 8:39 am

I live in Indiana and over the past 6 or so years I have been killing off and re-seeding sections of my 5 acre yard. I do an acre at a time and due to the distance from my house I have to rely on mother nature for irrigation. The last acre sections that I did I would spray them with round up in early July so I would be ready any time after August. I would just have to watch the weather and when there was a rainy spell in the forecast I would put the seed down. One year it wasn't until October but it stayed wet for almost two weeks. That section came in quick and great. The last acre I did the forecast was wrong and it has take 2 years to get it looking good. If the area you are doing can be watered you have a little more wiggle room.

Brandon011582

Post by Brandon011582 » July 7th, 2020, 2:04 pm

Thank you for all the responses and recommendations. I will be using Glyphosate in a few weeks to kill the Zoysia. Just one more question...will the Glyphosate harm the Forsynthia and Hosta plants that I have in my front yard? Should I keep a safe distance from them with the Glyphosate?

Thanks in advance!

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » July 8th, 2020, 12:34 am

Glyphosate will kill anything* that is actively growing if it's sprayed on the leaves. And it kills the roots, so the plant won't grow back**.

*There are crops that are sold as "roundup ready" that won't die.
**Except, apparently, trumpet vine, which is harder to eradicate than bindweed.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » July 8th, 2020, 8:43 am

Make sure you do NOT use the long-lasting stuff.

__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by __JT__ » July 9th, 2020, 1:14 pm

You can add a tracker dye to the glyphosate, and keep an eye on how windy it is. If you need to get close to desirable plants, you can use something to block the spray like cardboard. I use a piece of plexi.

I renovated by killing a zoysia lawn. I remember starting to fallow around the 4th of July. With multiple rounds to make certain all the zoysia is killed. Its invasive. I recall a few chunks were a slow kill. Its a good time to do it, because as you mentioned , now its awake...

Brandon011582

Post by Brandon011582 » August 11th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Hi again. Today, I mowed the dead grass down to the ground. Tomorrow, I will be dethatching the lawn before putting down new seed.

This might be a silly question but do I just simply seed over whats remaining of the old/dead grass? Do I need to add soil to the lawn before seeding??

__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by __JT__ » August 13th, 2020, 6:15 pm

You can seed directly onto the ground, and rolling it in is optional. If you have been fallowing, the ground will get pliable. After I nuked my lawn, I cut the grass down close to ground, and it was the few times that I use a bagger. It’s a good idea to cover the seed bed afterwards with peat moss. I did my renovations a few years back, and did a section per year, but you can fine tune this advice by searching/asking in the renovation forum, for folks doing it now, or start a thread. The biggest hurdle that I remember was weather, having the rain washing out your seeding...

mdxers
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award, Mazama
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by mdxers » August 25th, 2020, 9:19 am

i did add a light application of some top soil as i didn't get all the dead blades down to the dirt. After killing and scalping, I then raked a bit, and spread some top soil to even out the area and give the seed a even bed. Not much, perhaps a 1/4".

Brandon011582

Post by Brandon011582 » October 4th, 2020, 9:59 pm

Just wanted to update who replied and gave advise. New grass grew perfectly. Couldn’t be happier!!

Thanks everyone!

BIGDADDY13
Grass Type: KBG and Fescue
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by BIGDADDY13 » October 5th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Looks good. I had two patches in my yard that got accidentally nuked this summer by roundup that are in the stage of a re-seed and comeback. One area looks awesome (like better than before the messup. LOL). the other, not as great, but still coming along.. Used some compost from last years leaf pile and sifted it and re-seeded. So far, both look good...

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Pway » October 6th, 2020, 8:55 am

Great job! Keep an eye out for any zoysia blades that might have survived. It’ll start to spread again if just a bit wasn’t killed. Looks super