Serenade not longer sold if Quarts, Alternatives?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Serenade not longer sold if Quarts, Alternatives?

Post by northeastlawn » July 12th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Im down to one bottle of Serrenade and started hunting around for one, I found this on the 7 Spring Farms website....

*Serenade Quarts have been discontinued by the manufacturer. Please consider CEASE as an alternative."

Since this stuff is alive, and I only have about 2k to spray, I will never use 2.5 Gallons in a year.

Any opinions on this Cease stuff?

What a year; BSF changes their rules on orders under a pallet, and now Serenade might not be an option. I usually don't keep a ton of Serenade around because one bad outbreak where I have to use disease-ex and all the serenade is gone anyway. Ill have to hunt around and see if any place local has any left.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Serenade not longer sold if Quarts, Alternatives?

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 12th, 2020, 9:21 pm

northeastlawn wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 4:40 pm
... I usually don't keep a ton of Serenade around because one bad outbreak where I have to use disease-ex and all the serenade is gone anyway. Ill have to hunt around and see if any place local has any left.
Hmm. I don't think that azoxystrobin (DiseaseEx) kills the good bacteria that are in Serenade. From what I've read about azoxystrobin, I don't think the mechanism of action would actually kill any of the good bacteria (Bacillus subtilis strain QST 713) in Serenade.

Until a few minutes ago when I did a google search on the matter, I would have thought that contact fungicides, such as chlorothalonil (Daconil) or mancozeb (Dithane) would be detrimental to the Serenade. However, from a quick google search, I found a "Product Compatibility" flyer for CEASE (an equivalent product to Serenade, with the same good bacteria, Bacillus subtilis strain QST 713 at https://www.bioworksinc.com/wp-content/ ... -chart.pdf

Actually, it seems that most fungicides are compatible with QST713, although there were some exceptions, but they weren't for products I ever remember having heard of folks here using on their lawns.

Does Seven Spring Farms carry CEASE for a good price, too?

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » July 12th, 2020, 9:27 pm

They do mention CEASE, the smallest size they sell it by is by the gallon, that might work next year, but I wouldn’t want to buy a gallon for Aug/Sept.

I’m going to check a few local stores or just stretch the last bottle as long as I can.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » July 13th, 2020, 1:07 am

Wow, and Amazon is already sold out. I may be looking for a quart, too. Guess a trip to my local garden center is in order in that case...those types of places might have a bottle or two left.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » July 20th, 2020, 7:07 pm

Just wanted to give a heads up that I was able to find an online source for Serrenade in the quart size.....

https://growgen.pro

I was able to get two bottles; it came out to ~$50 with shipping, so about $25 per bottle.

Site looked a little shady to me at first, and they seemed to be swamped with shipping delays because of the virus, but I called today and two hours later they pushed my order through and I got a tracking number. I guess pot growers get fungus too :-)

My fingers are crossed it gets here Ok, but if your looking for enough serenade to get you through this summer this might help.