Handy chart for various chemical ratios?

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Handy chart for various chemical ratios?

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 18th, 2020, 8:29 am

My eyes are terrible these days and even with glasses (which I generally don't wear, especially when doing lawn stuff) I have a hard time reading the tiny booklets that come with most chemicals.

Yes, I could search around first and find them all online, but just wondering if anyone has (already available), and wouldn't mind sharing, a nice little cheat sheet of ratios for common chemicals (for a handheld sprayer). Something to the effect of (and I'm just making these figures up):

1 ounce/gallon of Glyphosate
1.5 ounce/gallon of 2,4 D
1 oz/gallon of Triclopyr
.5 oz/gallon of Quinclorac
etc...

I googled it but couldn't quite find what I was looking for (I mostly found charts for general conversions from ounces/acre to oz/gallon, but nothing listing a bunch of different chemicals).

Thanks so much!

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Handy chart for various chemical ratios?

Post by turf_toes » August 18th, 2020, 8:36 am

All those ratios are easily available, as you note on the product labels. I’d suggest heading to your local pharmacy and buying a cheap pair of $5 over the counter reading glasses.

I’d not use or trust a list generated by someone other than the product manufacturer. Typos happen.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 18th, 2020, 8:44 am

I'm in the same boat...when wearing my glasses. Seriously, people. Six point print? I couldn't read that with my bifocals when I was 25.

What he said. Or what I say. Tether a magnifying glass to the shelf in the garage so you don't lose it, at least 4x. Or start storing these all over the place where small print abounds: https://www.amazon.com/yueton-Magnifyin ... 1531482876

Note: That price is ridiculous. A Fresnel lens can be bought for far cheaper than that, and I got a pile for $2. Use a hole punch and you can attach that to the shelf with a clip and remove it when you need to read something.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 18th, 2020, 9:06 am

Nice! I need to tape one of those to my phone :)

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 18th, 2020, 9:20 am

You can read your phone? I just use mine, rarely, to make calls. And fortunately, the numbers haven't moved on phones since they invented the sequence. But I've had horrible eyes since birth; a bit of a disability. No huge damage.

You can get them off Wish, AlieExpress, or, as shown, Amazon. Sizes range from that to full page and full page mounted so it doesn't warp the image. I keep a few little ones in my wallet and give them away freely when somebody can't read something. People are amazed that magnifiers can be flat....

Even with your glasses on, you can wear magnifiers and I do when I paint. 3x in front of my glasses gives me corrected 3x or corrected 4.5x through my bifocals.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » August 18th, 2020, 11:13 am

If I cant read the fine print on a label I take a picture with my phone and then blow it up.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 18th, 2020, 11:39 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll sit down one day and go through all my stuff and jot down the ratios.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » August 18th, 2020, 1:19 pm

SoCT: while I appreciate what you're thinking, I think a "quick solution" could be dangerous, and it's unlikely that anyone that knows the data is going to put in the time to build a good, comprehensive solution. That's because it could easily be misused by someone looking for a quick fix. Let's consider Triclopyr - there are products that are 4% Triclopyr, products that are 8% Triclopyr and products that are 61% Triclopyr. What happens when someone applies the 8% Triclopyr dilution to a 61% Triclopyr to 61% Triclopyr? A real mess.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 18th, 2020, 2:21 pm

andy10917 wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 1:19 pm
SoCT: while I appreciate what you're thinking, I think a "quick solution" could be dangerous, and it's unlikely that anyone that knows the data is going to put in the time to build a good, comprehensive solution. That's because it could easily be misused by someone looking for a quick fix. Let's consider Triclopyr - there are products that are 4% Triclopyr, products that are 8% Triclopyr and products that are 61% Triclopyr. What happens when someone applies the 8% Triclopyr dilution to a 61% Triclopyr to 61% Triclopyr? A real mess.
Thanks for this pointer and fully understood. I just realized that myself as I was googling for .pdf labels. I came across various strengths of the same chemicals. So I will definitely sit down one day with the actual chems I have, and make a list that goes with them (and stick the relevant info onto each bottle/container as well).

Thanks again

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » August 18th, 2020, 9:43 pm

schreibdave wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 11:13 am
If I cant read the fine print on a label I take a picture with my phone and then blow it up.
I do something similar, but instead of taking a picture, I just aim the camera and blow it up.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » August 22nd, 2020, 12:50 pm

My eyes aren't at all what they used to be (although I think I can spot a small patch of Poa Triv from 200 yds away), but I don't use any of the camera techniques for reading the 0.5 point type.

I've found that almost all labels can be googled very quickly - with one small adjustment.

Many herbicides have names that have other meanings ("Tenacity" come to mind), and too simple a Google search yields things that have nothing to do with the herbicide.

Want to find it really quickly? Make your search string be "Tenacity herbicide label" and you're likely to get several good hits on the first page. It's WAY easier to read then the microscopic type!

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » August 22nd, 2020, 3:29 pm

[quote=bpgreen post_id=342758 time=1597801403 user_id=66]
[quote=schreibdave post_id=342748 time=1597763591 user_id=408]
[/quote]

I do something similar, but instead of taking a picture, I just aim the camera and blow it up.
[/quote]

With an iPhone you can set it up to click the home button 3 times and the phone acts a magnifying glass. The setting are under accessibility.

I have an iPhone, but sure android has something similar.

I find myself saving all the label pdf files in the iCloud, if I need to look at something, its a few clicks away.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 22nd, 2020, 6:01 pm

andy10917 wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 12:50 pm
(although I think I can spot a small patch of Poa Triv from 200 yds away)
Yeah, but that's a color difference (amongst others, but that's my ID method). A decently trained eye can see the difference between Hooker's green and sap green at a vast difference, but they use exactly the same pigments. Just in a slightly different mix.

Even my terrible eyes are extremely sensitive to color. Probably because they are terrible; I've learned to compensate by paying a massive amount of attention to color differences.

Remind me to lay out all the tones of yellow paint I have in my collection and photograph them sometime. Most people call them "what, three shades of yellow under nine names?" :-)

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » August 22nd, 2020, 9:13 pm

My sons have been telling me that I cursed them never to be able to enjoy a lawn again, because they can spot the flaws from a distance. A few years ago, we went to the Vanderbilt Mansion in Asheville. There is a huge lawn in front of it. Everyone was oohing and ahhing the lawn, and we were going "Triv, and Nimblewill". We got closer and sure as hell, that's what was there on close inspection. I barf when I see it on my own lawns.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 22nd, 2020, 9:58 pm

Exactly. Right now, at a glance I see a few last sprigs of Melampodium that I didn't bother to pull (seriously, one more mow, the stuff is not exactly sturdy) and, out front, an actual dandelion. Plus what I side-eyed as a bit of triv and got immediately sprayed with Tenacity. Entire sections are dry-stressing again as temps soar back into the nineties and the colors are dulling out.

I've also driven one past boss insane as I pointed out the temperature differences in all the tones in our training documents. By the end of the revision sequence, he knew the difference between tonally cool and tonally warm blues as well as the rest of the split-primary color palette (the one I tend to favor). He never wanted to know it, but he knew it just the same. And all our training documentation was tonally warm.