Newer zoysia lawn mixed with Buffalo grass?

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Vgpats
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Newer zoysia lawn mixed with Buffalo grass?

Post by Vgpats » September 3rd, 2020, 12:51 pm

Hello everyone. I’m hoping to get some advice on how to make my lawn more consistent. It’s only 18 months old. It’s new zoysia sod. But it seems to be getting infiltrated by buffalo grass also. At least I think it’s buffalo grass. Trying to get some advice on how to treat it so it’s consistent zoysia. Please note that I fertilized in June and also treated a lot of yellow Nutsedge with roundup safe for lawn. I am located in NorthEast Florida.

Vgpats

Re: Newer zoysia lawn mixed with Buffalo grass?

Post by Vgpats » September 3rd, 2020, 2:20 pm

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » September 4th, 2020, 1:07 am

It's unlikely to be buffalo grass in Florida. Unless you're using the Australian definition of buffalo grass, which I think is called st Augustine in the USA.

In the USA, buffalo grass is a native prairie grass that mostly grows west of the Mississippi.

Vgpats

Post by Vgpats » September 5th, 2020, 9:32 am

Thank you. It must be St Augustine growing within Zoysia. I’m not sure if there is anything I can do to make the yard more homogeneous.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » October 22nd, 2020, 1:43 pm

It's really hard to tell from those pictures. What is most likely is bermuda invading the zoysia. If you mow the lawn at the mower's highest setting, then you have a chance to minimize the bermuda.
Nutgrass is a swamp type plant that thrives only in soggy soil. Technically it is a sedge and not a grass. What is your watering schedule? How often and for how long do you water? You should be deep watering roughly once every 2 weeks. If you are watering every day, like most Floridians, that's why you have nutgrass.