Disease EX Application?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Disease EX Application?

Post by pristinegreen75 » September 2nd, 2020, 9:12 am

I need to drop some Disease EX ASAP (Pythium). My grass is wet from showers last night. Is it OK to apply it today on damp lawn and water it in right away? It really doesn't say on the directions. (Dry or wet lawn) Would it hinder the efficacy of it? Also , would it be OK to fertilize this weekend or should I wait a couple of weeks?

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Disease EX Application?

Post by Pway » September 4th, 2020, 11:13 am

pristinegreen75 wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 9:12 am
I need to drop some Disease EX ASAP (Pythium). My grass is wet from showers last night. Is it OK to apply it today on damp lawn and water it in right away? It really doesn't say on the directions. (Dry or wet lawn) Would it hinder the efficacy of it? Also , would it be OK to fertilize this weekend or should I wait a couple of weeks?
My understanding is that you can put down disease ex at seeding, before seeding, or shortly after seeding without adverse consequences to the seed. Also, I think the general view would be to wait a few weeks on the fertilizer and then go light. Somebody will hopefully jump in if I’m wrong. I should add that I lost some grass to what I believe to be a fungus. I was going to send a sample to Rutgers but didn’t get to do it. I ended up scalping , raking, seeding and top dressing with peat moss. We’ve hD a couple heavy rains since and hope the saturated soil isn’t a problem with the new seed.

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » September 4th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Thanks Pway, my lawn was great all summer... 4" HOC, then the last 2 seeks of Aug..boom.. it started to crap out. I put down Oceangro Aug 17 so I know it wasn't that.(just about 100% slow release) I have searched this forum and really couldn't find any definitive answer whether I could drop both within a couple days of each other. I googled it and some answer said it is ok and some not. Also checked with Scotts live chat and they answered "you can put it down before or after fertilizing". What the H... does that mean? LOL. Oh well this is messing with my fall schedule. Argh!!

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by KBGkicksazz » September 5th, 2020, 2:12 am

Disease ex on pythium is a complete was of monry it won’t touch it.

You need to use mefanoxam and it’s a pricy fungicide.

Pway

Post by Pway » September 5th, 2020, 8:47 am

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/PPA/PPA1/PPA1.pdf

According to this study by Rutgers, Wisconsin and Kentucky, azoxystrobin is effective against pythium.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 5th, 2020, 8:53 am

Disease ex on pythium is a complete was of monry it won’t touch it.
I'm no expert on chemical fungicides (I use proactive biofungicdes) but I'd encourage others with experience with the product to weigh in on this above claim - the product is labeled for use on Pythium, and the active ingredient (Azoxystrobin) is mentioned in many products and university literature as effective on Pythium.

Note: I got beat to posting by Pway.

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » September 5th, 2020, 9:07 am

I will keep everyone up to date in a week or 2( I put it down 9/2). I was late in noticing the outbreak My bad.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » September 5th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Pway wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 8:47 am

According to this study by Rutgers, Wisconsin and Kentucky, azoxystrobin is effective against pythium.
DiseaseEx is a Low rate app. You need more punch like Segway, Heritage G, mefanoxam which has much higher AI percentages.

It’s no different than buying the Bayer fungus control ar the big

DiseaseEx is homeowner level. Preventative yes, effective at control, nada.

Just telling you now if someone has raging pythium you need a pro level formulation. Disease Ex will not get rid of it.

Bayer lawn fungus control is the same thing. Much lower rate of propiconazole than the pro formulation of Propiconazole 14.3

Just like weed b gon products out there without triclopyr claim clover control.... same concept.

Pway

Post by Pway » September 6th, 2020, 9:10 am

Ira e both Heritage and Diseaseex. Diseaseex has both a preventative and higher curative rate on the label. If you applied it at a higher rate than preventative wouldn’t that provide more AI and a stronger application? Aren’t we more concerned with the AI and it’s amount than a brand name or label? I’m no expert but that was my thinking.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » September 6th, 2020, 10:38 am

Pway wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 9:10 am
Ira e both Heritage and Diseaseex. Diseaseex has both a preventative and higher curative rate on the label. If you applied it at a higher rate than preventative wouldn’t that provide more AI and a stronger application? Aren’t we more concerned with the AI and it’s amount than a brand name or label? I’m no expert but that was my thinking.
I’m speaking from both personal experience as well as EXTENSIVE study on this topic.

Pythium is much more severe than dollar spot, brown patch, etc.
Personally I would not use azoxystrobin on pythium. Too much money and effort on my soil and lawn to not eradicate it with the most effective means necessary.

I’m also not a fan of granular with active disease I like foliar.

See below: My personal experience is Mefenoxam does even better than azoxystrobin shown in the study.

Pythium can kill your grass and it’s not the same nuisance as rust, dollar spot, etc.
http://www.plantmanagementnetwork.org/p ... 5/pythium/

Pway

Post by Pway » September 6th, 2020, 3:05 pm

KBGkicksazz wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 10:38 am
Pway wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 9:10 am
I’m speaking from both personal experience as well as EXTENSIVE study on this topic.

Pythium is much more severe than dollar spot, brown patch, etc.
Personally I would not use azoxystrobin on pythium. Too much money and effort on my soil and lawn to not eradicate it with the most effective means necessary.

I’m also not a fan of granular with active disease I like foliar.

See below: My personal experience is Mefenoxam does even better than azoxystrobin shown in the study.

Pythium can kill your grass and it’s not the same nuisance as rust, dollar spot, etc.
http://www.plantmanagementnetwork.org/p ... 5/pythium/

Many thanks!

glenforest
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by glenforest » September 10th, 2020, 7:51 am

KBGkicksazz wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 8:38 pm
Pway wrote:

DiseaseEx is a Low rate app. You need more punch like Segway, Heritage G, mefanoxam which has much higher AI percentages.
If you compare apples to apples, this is not the case. I've used DiseaseEx before, so this made me curious to check the labels. On the azoxystrobin granular products, DiseaseEx and Heritage G, the percentage of active ingredient (AI), 0.31%, and the preventative and curative rates, 2#/K and 4#/K, are identical.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » September 10th, 2020, 10:28 am

glenforest wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 7:51 am
KBGkicksazz wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 8:38 pm
Pway wrote:

If you compare apples to apples, this is not the case. I've used DiseaseEx before, so this made me curious to check the labels. On the azoxystrobin granular products, DiseaseEx and Heritage G, the percentage of active ingredient (AI), 0.31%, and the preventative and curative rates, 2#/K and 4#/K, are identical.
As a preventative. When you have active disease go to mefanoxam.

Search the topic online. Lots of information about pythium curative efficacy.

DiseaseEx is not going to wipe out a pythium infestation. Subdue Maxx is now available in generic mefanoxam formulation and more price friendly.

I’m speaking from personal experience.

I’ve pulled my hair out the last two years with brown patch, dollar spot, and pythium. I’m speaking from experience and a lot of research.

I would not waste money on azoxy for anything other than preventative.

For brown patch and dollar spot rotate propiconazole 14.3 and Clearys 3336

Pythium = mefanoxam

DiseaseEx and Bayer fungus are moderately effective as preventatives. Once you get outbreaks see above.

Even with good cultural practices disease can still push through.

glenforest
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by glenforest » September 10th, 2020, 6:37 pm

I didn’t make any comment about effectiveness vs. pythium. I have no opinion on that. You said DiseaseEx is a low rate app and that Heritage G has a higher AI percentage, but the two products have identical label specifications. Just want to put accurate information out there for any readers who come to the site looking for advice.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » September 10th, 2020, 8:28 pm

glenforest wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 6:37 pm
I didn’t make any comment about effectiveness vs. pythium. I have no opinion on that. You said DiseaseEx is a low rate app and that Heritage G has a higher AI percentage, but the two products have identical label specifications. Just want to put accurate information out there for any readers who come to the site looking for advice.
I think my last post is quite clear on solution.